• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reynold Jay ?

25 posts in this topic

Received the '"REYNOLD JAY COMIC BULLETIN" today and it had this little nugget of info?

"This week , a customer sent RJ an Amazing Fantasy #15 in a CGC 6.5 frame. Value $9,500. Comic had "Key drop" defect and a five minute prep brought in a 7.0 for the customer who now owns a $11,000-$13,000 comic. "

Anybody understand what this blurb means?

I saw that too. I think that means that RJ knows how to "prep" your comics (amateur pressing?) so that they will slab higher. And he wants you to send him his comics and pay a fee so that he can pre-p/ss them for you.

The guy gets a ton of 9.8s for sale on ebay, so I guess he must do a lot of this pre-p/ss-ing work on his own books... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Received the '"REYNOLD JAY COMIC BULLETIN" today and it had this little nugget of info?

"This week , a customer sent RJ an Amazing Fantasy #15 in a CGC 6.5 frame. Value $9,500. Comic had "Key drop" defect and a five minute prep brought in a 7.0 for the customer who now owns a $11,000-$13,000 comic. "

But was it graded higher because of the prep or because of slightly relaxed grading?

But was it graded higher because of the prep or because of slightly relaxed grading?

Or the dollar bills inside the front cover? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Let me preface this with, this isn't SPECIFICALLY directed at shrunkenhead, just a comment in general about people on these forums and pressing.

I'm curious, according to a lot of people on here just about EVERY resubmit is due to pressing. However, a lot, if not most, books have defects that would NOT benefit from pressing. It's just funny to listen to the people on here whine after every upgrade and then claim it as always due to pressing...

Maybe you guys could have your own club?

Brian

Let me preface this with, this isn't SPECIFICALLY directed at shrunkenhead, just a comment in general about people on these forums and pressing.

I'm curious, according to a lot of people on here just about EVERY resubmit is due to pressing. However, a lot, if not most, books have defects that would NOT benefit from pressing. It's just funny to listen to the people on here whine after every upgrade and then claim it as always due to pressing...

Brian

Um, in this case we're talking about a guy who advertises his pressing / prep services and makes no bones about it...? Seems pretty safe to infer from the original post that this was a case of pressing out a "key drop" bend/fold, whatever "key drop" means.

Where does it say "pressing service"? The only email I've ever received, which was the intro email for the service, from him called it a "prep service" and was beyond vague about what exactly that entailed.

Assuming you're correct, I'd be very curious to know what service this could possibly be other than pressing. Have you got any ideas yourself? I can't imagine what a "prep" service could do other than press a book...obviously they can't color touch it, add pieces, etc. So what else is there? confused-smiley-013.gif

Brian

Oh, and we already do have our own club. gossip.gif

But to join you have to be willing to wear your batman underoos on the outside of your clothes every Wednesday. And you must pinkie-swear that you won't press any of your books.

Bow down before the pinkie-swear!! sumo.gif

I have, and have always thought, it to be a BS service. IMO, they simply take the book and "clean it up". Put it into a new bag/board, wonderbread any dirt off, perhaps dry cleaning? It could be anything and it could be nothing. He never guarantees a higher grade. With subjectability what it is, it's equally likely he could just send the book back in and hope for something higher. I don't believe anyone would send in a book they thought had no chance of being a higher grade, so he's working with a bunch of "tweener" books.

And to play conspiracy theorist for a bit, I've heard many people claim that CGC grades softer on mass submitters. RJ is a large submittor. I don't believe in this at all, but since we're just tossing stuff out there.

Brian