• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,599 posts in this topic

I had a fixed price listing for a CGC 9.4 Walking Dead 101 Ghost Variant. Buyer bought the book and paid for it so I left him great feedback. When I was ready to ship the book I looked everywhere and could not find it even though I do not have any record of having sold it.

Do you have a comics shop or something? How did it come to be that you had something listed and then you didn't have it in your possession? Was the BIN posted for a very long time before it sold? How meticulous are you about recording sales in your shop and then removing them if they're cross-listed on eBay? Just curious about the situation.

I don't think a buyer should demand compensation, but in some cases when a deal like this doesn't go through and the seller says he doesn't have the item, an explanation is in order. A buyer might be justified in suspecting that the seller has "seller's remorse" over the price he set, and is simply canceling because of a change of heart -- or worse, because of a better offer from another party.

but sometimes it is an honest mistake, and all you can do is tell the truth.

I've lost a book before, which I actually had listed at a high BIN. Guy bought it, paid immediately, I spent two full days taking apart my house looking for it. I apologized, refunded immediately, and notified him, telling him I couldn't find it. That was the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. I don't know what else can be done. Of course that's not the best business practice, but for people who aren't pro's at selling, I can see this happening every so often.

While it might not always be the truth for everyone, I'm not really sure what can be done, except hope that ebay checks into sellers who cancel too many sales.

Sure, it could be an honest mistake sometimes. I'm just wondering how a person ends up misplacing a book after listing it on eBay -- especially a home seller. I mean, to list a book, you have to get it out and photograph it, right? You determine condition, you write up the listing on eBay, and you start the sale. The normal thing to do at that point is to put the comic away safely, right? Like if you put it in a shortbox with a post-it that says "Sale items." I mean, what else would you do? Just throw the comic in a pile with a bunch of random items? Or secure the comic so that you know where it is when the sale is made? (EDIT: Seller explained that he has thousands of BINs going at any given time, which definitely raises the chances of a mistake happening.)

I have accidentally shipped a book with another order and lost it that way.

I have accidentally shipped a book with another order and lost it that way.

Yeah, I did that once, several years ago. I ended up shipping a stamped envelope for the seller who didn't get his item, to the seller who got the extra item... It worked out (thankfully everybody was cooperative and didn't make a fuss about it) but it was embarrassing.

me - I do have about 350 other listings. Please take a look and if you see something you like perhaps we can figure something out. Otherwise I will have to cancel the listing and refund your money.

Thanks again.

You have been reasonable and I am really sorry that the book is nowhere to be found.

buyer - If you do not have the same book signed by Robert kirkman and graded just send me my money back.This is horrible I bought that book for my sons birthday and you ruined it.

Chaos..

Being in sales a long time, this would of been the perfect opportunity to push one of your other items 'at a massive discount'......

The buyer wanted something for his trouble..Ok great! Let me see what I can do for you! AHA! I have a mint conditon blah blah blah blah that just came in and ive been saving it for a long time customer blah blah blah blah...

Not trying to sound like an ,, this is how the great sellers outperform the average sellers.

Simple....Lemons/lemonade.

As you can see above I tried to do that. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

lol Watch the world burn....he paid for something he wanted, he didn't get it. Good for you to try to pawn something else on him, but if that's all he wanted, then he'll get it elsewhere.

Watch the world burn indeed....

I have a buyer to nominate for the list.

carlocanelone0

I had a fixed price listing for a CGC 9.4 Walking Dead 101 Ghost Variant. Buyer bought the book and paid for it so I left him great feedback.

When I was ready to ship the book I looked everywhere and could not find it even though I do not have any record of having sold it.

I apologized to the buyer, canceled the transaction and refunded his money in full. He then sent me a message asking for further compensation for his inconvenience which I politely declined. After receiving the refund the buyer left me negative feedback.

---------------

Feedback I left for the buyer:

Great Buyer! Fast Payment! A+++++

---------------

Feedback buyer left for me

This guy might not even have the item you purchase...shady ebayer.

My reply:

Item was misplaced, full refund was given to buyer. It was simple mistake.

-------------------

me - I appreciate your patience but I owe you an apology. I looked everywhere and I just don't have the book anymore. The odd thing is I do not have any record of having sold it.

I do have about 350 other listings. Please take a look and if you see something you like perhaps we can figure something out. Otherwise I will have to cancel the listing and refund your money.

Thanks again.

You have been reasonable and I am really sorry that the book is nowhere to be found.

buyer - If you do not have the same book signed by Robert kirkman and graded just send me my money back.This is horrible I bought that book for my sons birthday and you ruined it.

me - Will do.

Sorry I could not find the book.

buyer - Just refund my money asap.Thanks

me - Already canceled the order and asked them to refund the money. Ebay and Paypal will take it from here.

buyer - You should send me something for the trouble. What do you think?

me - made a mistake and I apologized for it. I also gave you a full refund. I think that is a reasonable outcome.

re: that buyer - nope. He doesn't deserve anything but an explanation, which you gave him.

-slym

This is horrible I bought that book for my sons birthday and you ruined it.

lol

Amazing how there always seems to be a situation like this when someone isn't happy with the outcome.

Yep.

*sigh*

-slym

I will say, I just had a missing item type thing - had a copy of that Future's End where whatever old Robin becomes Batman Beyond. Sold it pretty cheap, could not find it. Messaged the buyer, sent him his refund.

He was very cordial about the whole thing. I guess a few dollars wasn't enough to cause a kerfuffle over.

Good Guy eBayer!

-slym

re: that buyer - nope. He doesn't deserve anything but an explanation, which you gave him.

-slym

He got his explanation, felt he was entitled to more than that and left me a negative anyway.

That is why he should be avoided.

I'll probably have one to add soon. eBay ID withheld until things are official. Smallish sale at $61, closed on Sunday. He jumped in an hour from the end to top the $60 bid, so he has a pulse one would assume.

3 days now with no payment, no contact. After 54 hours I contacted the buyer with a friendly reminder note. No response. Surprising - the buyer has a 94 feedback score and it is good, recent feedback. However, it just doesn't feel like it is going the right direction.

I'm planning on opening a non-payment case tomorrow (once 4 days have passed). I'm not planning on sending another reminder. Just figure I'll have to wait out the "open case" 4 day period and then give a 2nd chance offer to the $60 guy early next week.

Any suggestions on handling it differently? First time dealing with this kind of issue. Not a big deal because of the small amount of money involved, but want to do things correctly.

Thanks. I sent him one after the auction ended. Maybe sending another will help?

Seems like a lot of send without any receive at this point. What motivates folks to do this? Seems a bit sociopathic.

Maybe eyes bigger than stomach, or in this case desires greater than wallet

I'm planning on opening a non-payment case tomorrow (once 4 days have passed). I'm not planning on sending another reminder. Just figure I'll have to wait out the "open case" 4 day period and then give a 2nd chance offer to the $60 guy early next week. Any suggestions on handling it differently? First time dealing with this kind of issue. Not a big deal because of the small amount of money involved, but want to do things correctly.

My suggestion is send another very brief and polite invoice or reminder message. Then give him a couple extra days to pay. The reason being that there are simply some buyers out there who work day jobs and forget to follow up on their weekend eBay activities. It's better to wait a few extra days and complete the sale than to worry about payment timeliness and have to relist the item. I know it sucks to wait, though, and buyers should pay as soon as they can, but for practical purposes it's worth it to give them a little slack.

I had a fixed price listing for a CGC 9.4 Walking Dead 101 Ghost Variant. Buyer bought the book and paid for it so I left him great feedback. When I was ready to ship the book I looked everywhere and could not find it even though I do not have any record of having sold it.

Do you have a comics shop or something? How did it come to be that you had something listed and then you didn't have it in your possession? Was the BIN posted for a very long time before it sold? How meticulous are you about recording sales in your shop and then removing them if they're cross-listed on eBay? Just curious about the situation.

I don't think a buyer should demand compensation, but in some cases when a deal like this doesn't go through and the seller says he doesn't have the item, an explanation is in order. A buyer might be justified in suspecting that the seller has "seller's remorse" over the price he set, and is simply canceling because of a change of heart -- or worse, because of a better offer from another party.

but sometimes it is an honest mistake, and all you can do is tell the truth.

I've lost a book before, which I actually had listed at a high BIN. Guy bought it, paid immediately, I spent two full days taking apart my house looking for it. I apologized, refunded immediately, and notified him, telling him I couldn't find it. That was the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. I don't know what else can be done. Of course that's not the best business practice, but for people who aren't pro's at selling, I can see this happening every so often.

While it might not always be the truth for everyone, I'm not really sure what can be done, except hope that ebay checks into sellers who cancel too many sales.

I agree, I can understand the buyer's suspicion until he asked for compensation that killed it and got him blocked.

What's your eBay user id?

lol Don't worry about it; you and I will never do business, on ebay, on here, anywhere.

Great! What's your eBay user id, so I can make it official? Mine's "Comic-Sutra", and you know my name here.

And take a breath and let the Force flow through you; this is how it starts and then you get bounced out of here. Again.

This is how what starts...? You mean, where someone (like yourself) makes provocative comments, doesn't like the responses, and then runs to the mods to deal with it? That....?

hm

So, you're not responsible for what you say, then...?

Don't misunderstand, I'm not offended...just asking questions to try and understand why you're offended at what I've said in response to your comments, and make such an issue out of it that you have to take such a below the belt shot like that.

Stay classy, bluehorseshoe.

Rock- blue is a total person_too_unaware_of_social_graces to do business with... I wouldn't worry about his comments too much

What's your eBay user id?

lol Don't worry about it; you and I will never do business, on ebay, on here, anywhere.

Great! What's your eBay user id, so I can make it official? Mine's "Comic-Sutra", and you know my name here.

And take a breath and let the Force flow through you; this is how it starts and then you get bounced out of here. Again.

This is how what starts...? You mean, where someone (like yourself) makes provocative comments, doesn't like the responses, and then runs to the mods to deal with it? That....?

hm

So, you're not responsible for what you say, then...?

Don't misunderstand, I'm not offended...just asking questions to try and understand why you're offended at what I've said in response to your comments, and make such an issue out of it that you have to take such a below the belt shot like that.

Stay classy, bluehorseshoe.

Rock- blue is a total person_too_unaware_of_social_graces to do business with... I wouldn't worry about his comments too much

Understood, and not at all surprising. People who are willing to take out-of-nowhere below-the-belt shots like that are generally going to behave that way across the board. Thanks for the support, bc.