• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
26 26

6,384 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2022 at 8:09 PM, Frisco Larson said:

It's just an area in comics that I haven't much explored yet. When I picked it up at the show, I couldn't put it down! He had a certified 9.0 which was awesome, but this mid-grade raw copy was just what I needed! Now hopefully, I can find more in a similar grade range and reasonably priced!  (thumbsu

Hard to believe you have never dabbled in ECs. I was snagged hook line and sinker as a young lad when my uncle gave me a small pile of his originals. All the titles and genres. I have owned pretty much all of them several times. And read them over and over. Pretty much everything paled in comparison.

As far as “reasonably priced” goes, I guess it is in the eyes of the buyer. I have seen them rise a LOT over the years. But, if you can live with solid readers, most can still be found with patience, without having to morgage the farm. If you want 6.0 or over, prepare to “man up”…

On 11/23/2022 at 8:25 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I sold the copy in the pic below and have had a few Shock SuspenStories, like a 6 and a 10, just never any Sci Fi issues. The E.C.s always seemed available so I figured I could get into them at any later point. I wish I still had the ones I sold, like the pic below.

Vault of Horror 35 6.5 ow-w my old copy.jpg

Along with #30, my favorite Vault! I had a nice presenting 5.0 and upgraded to a 7.0. Probably as high as I will go at this point. I just can’t seem to cut loose my undercopy…

Grab some sci fi and especially the war ones. Incredible readers and still, I think, undervalued. 

On 11/23/2022 at 10:53 AM, Robot Man said:

Along with #30, my favorite Vault! I had a nice presenting 5.0 and upgraded to a 7.0. Probably as high as I will go at this point. I just can’t seem to cut loose my undercopy…

Grab some sci fi and especially the war ones. Incredible readers and still, I think, undervalued. 

I'll have an eyeball on them when I go to shows now. As stunning as they are, I doubt I'll be able to afford any Gaines file copies, but I'd likely leave those slabbed if I DID buy any, so raw readers will be the ticket for me. (thumbsu

On 11/23/2022 at 11:28 AM, OtherEric said:

Even I've been able to afford a Gaines File Copy.  I really need to get it slabbed one of these days.

Mad_246_Gaines_File_Copy.thumb.jpg.7f07fc913cf34fefdcb5f0bad5df5ab0.jpg

OK, it's so I can say I have a GFC more than anything else... but I've got one!

That's very cool! I used to read MAD once in a while in my youth. I've resisted collecting them, mostly for storage reasons!  lol

On 11/23/2022 at 8:25 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I sold the copy in the pic below and have had a few Shock SuspenStories, like a 6 and a 10, just never any Sci Fi issues. The E.C.s always seemed available so I figured I could get into them at any later point. I wish I still had the ones I sold, like the pic below.

Vault of Horror 35 6.5 ow-w my old copy.jpg

"Merry Christmas Darling, Happy New Year Too..."

On 11/28/2022 at 8:43 PM, fifties said:

In today.  Elusive issue to be sure, and had to settle for a lesser grade than most of my EC's.

Tales From The Crypt 26.jpg

I wonder why this one is more elusive than others? 

Great Wood cover. Wish he had done more horror covers. (Is this his only one, not counting Shock?)

On 12/11/2022 at 3:35 PM, Sarg said:

I wonder why this one is more elusive than others? 

Great Wood cover. Wish he had done more horror covers. (Is this his only one, not counting Shock?)

I normally attribute HTF comics in the current day as not having been big sellers when they came out.  Totally unscientific I know, just my gut feeling.  

IDK what horror covers Woody did.  You could go to the Grand Comic Database to find out though.

Funny thing is, I just bought a second copy of this issue in a bit better (I hope) condition, so I might offer this one FS when I get the other one in.