• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
26 26

6,383 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2023 at 1:53 PM, goldust40 said:

Looking forward to tomorrow's bulletin.

OK here is your requested update. A little back story first...you remember the Gaines file copy sales...well there were NO TTA1 available and I think at the time he only had his personal copy if that. Remember Vault #12 was in short supply but Gaines commented on how really  rare that  TTA #1 book was.. That was many eons ago. The 40/50 year old collector knows what is rare, especially a new to the market copy such as this one really is. Current Bid $15,500.00 with 20 days to go. Hope that is a cool bulletin for you!!!!

Edited by Mmehdy

On 8/5/2023 at 7:33 PM, Mmehdy said:

OK here is your requested update. A little back story first...you remember the Gaines file copy sales...well there were NO TTA1 available and I think at the time he only had his personal copy if that. Remember Vault #12 was in short supply but Gaines commented on how rare that book. That was many eons ago. The 40/50 year old collector knows what is rare, especially a new to the market copy such as this one. Current Bid $15,500.00 with 20 days to go. Hope that is a cool bulletin for you!!!!

I have to applaud the perfection of the above bulletin, that in everyone's view can never be superseded. I would only ask that you leave it there now as such things are unimproveable.

No real need to “pimp” this one. I think most PCH and EC collectors are already aware of this copy. You either have this one or in most cases are, sadly, priced out on it. Sure glad I fall into the former category. It is one of my favorite books in my PC.

I will also say that Gary Arlington. One of the biggest EC collectors ever never found a copy for his PC…

I will expect Mitch to report on the final hammer price.

On 8/5/2023 at 3:34 PM, Robot Man said:

No real need to “pimp” this one. I think most PCH and EC collectors are already aware of this copy. You either have this one or in most cases are, sadly, priced out on it. Sure glad I fall into the former category. It is one of my favorite books in my PC.

I will also say that Gary Arlington. One of the biggest EC collectors ever never found a copy for his PC…

I will expect Mitch to report on the final hammer price.

It's not an easy book, but there are 31 on the census. Hundreds of tougher Golden Age books out there. Maybe one of those cases where no one wants to part with one. If I had a copy I sure as hell would never sell it!

On 8/5/2023 at 2:15 PM, october said:

It's not an easy book, but there are 31 on the census. Hundreds of tougher Golden Age books out there. Maybe one of those cases where no one wants to part with one. If I had a copy I sure as hell would never sell it!

I agree. Mine is raw. Never graded it as I have no intention of ever selling it. I know of at least 3 other ungraded copies buried forever in private collections. There are obviously more out there. Still very tough to find and the king of the hill in the EC world. 

On 8/6/2023 at 9:28 AM, Robot Man said:

Anybody know the contents of the Bobby Blue copy? These were made up of remaindered copies. There are many combinations. I know this book has great allure. But I do believe the contents should figure into the final hammer price.  

I think they are listed on the label. 

On 8/6/2023 at 7:28 AM, Robot Man said:

Anybody know the contents of the Bobby Blue copy? These were made up of remaindered copies. There are many combinations. I know this book has great allure. But I do believe the contents should figure into the final hammer price.  

See the video in which Vince gives the content list of the issues, As I remember there is at least one SF issue

On 8/6/2023 at 11:46 AM, Mmehdy said:

See the video in which Vince gives the content list of the issues, As I remember there is at least one SF issue

Frankly, I have no desire to hunt down Vinnie’s video just thought someone might know.

As far as most people are concerned it is a TOT #1 and looks pretty in a slab. Oh, and how much will it go for.

My copy has the first issues of COT, HOF, and Crypt. In addition, WS #2. It definitely trumps most other copies content wise and should be in much higher demand.

But many seem to only dwell on issue, cover and condition.

I will, of course, be watching for the result for personal reasons…

On 8/6/2023 at 12:48 PM, Robot Man said:

My copy has the first issues of COT, HOF, and Crypt. In addition, WS #2. It definitely trumps most other copies content wise and should be in much higher demand.

I don't think the contents really matter AFA value.  We all know that there would be a variety of different EC's in each, heavy on horror, crime, plus a Sci Fi book.

In fact figure that first, if it's slabbed, it won't be read anyway.  And second, if not slabbed, an EC fanatic willing to pay this kind of an extraordinary amount very likely has the contained books already.  It's the cover, the fact that it's a 25 cent "giant", and the fact that it's extremely scarce AFA availability.

On 8/6/2023 at 12:48 PM, Robot Man said:

Frankly, I have no desire to hunt down Vinnie’s video just thought someone might know.

As far as most people are concerned it is a TOT #1 and looks pretty in a slab. Oh, and how much will it go for.

I will, of course, be watching for the result for personal reasons…

I think contents are important as a added bonus if you will, but I tracked down the video and watched for you again, its entertaining to say the least: Contents are Vault 15, WS 14, Cypt 19, Hof 16.....

On 8/6/2023 at 9:28 AM, Robot Man said:

Unless there's more than one Bobby Blue copy, the one in the pic Hap Hazard posted has the following :

CGC Certification link

Contains: Vault of Horror #15, Crypt of Terror #19, Weird Science #14, Haunt of Fear #16 THE BOBBY BLUE COLLECTION