• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
26 26

6,380 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2023 at 9:44 AM, conan09279 said:

New add. I think this was a lost opportunity with the cover but happy to add it to the collection. 

A3F3EDE6-E5BC-4A2C-8BE5-4E8D1584B333.jpeg

Interesting Johnny Craig used his own birth day on the tombstone, but not the birth year. :)

It would've been freakier if he had used his own date of death... lol.  Ok, that's creepy.

On 6/26/2023 at 2:04 PM, Stelly Stel said:

I will revive this thread with a happy accident of a story.

My brother-in-law is a Luthier and restores stringed instruments. He finished work on 2 lutes for an 82 year old gentleman and the gentleman wanted to pick them up. My BIL was to be out of town at the time so I had the gentleman come to my house to get them and I met him outside.

He marvelled at the excellent restoration work and said most luthiers wouldn't work on such a delicate/old item. I said I'm not that musical but I can relate, I collect comic books and people do work on million dollar pieces of pulp paper.

He looked at me and said "You collect comics??? Do you collect any old ones?" I said sure do. Then he says "Oh, I used to love comics, my favorite were EC Comics, have you ever heard of them?"

:jawdrop:

So, uh, yeah I've heard of EC Comics, I have 250 originals right here in the house. He just about gasps *gasp choke* lol and gets the biggest smile and asks if we can go inside and look at them. Did we just become best friends? Yup!

So we go inside at look at my books for 45 minutes. He tells me stories and that he used to buy them off the rack. He was 12 in 1952, so perfect lol He describes all the classic covers before I pull them out and he even quotes some of the stories. He was quoting a story and I couldn't quite place it and we figured out it was Shock Suspenstories #6.The first story he wanted to see was Foul Play lolThis guy is an OG Fan Addict!

The twist here is that he doesn't have any of his ECs left, unfortunately.

BUT......

He is such a fan that he's owned an original copy of Seduction of the Innocent all this time!!! He's read it more than I have. So he asks me if I have an original copy and I say no, just a vanity press reprint edition and I show it to him.

He says "Would you like to own an original copy?"

I say "Who wouldn't?" 😃

So he says he's had the book so long, and you know he's 82, and he'd love for it to go to a real EC fan.

So of course I held out my SOTI reprint and said "I'll trade you" and he said "Deal!" :x

I'll post a picture of it when I get it, but it could be a little while until he comes back (thumbsu

Wow, great story! Now what you have to do is find some cheap EC reprint readers for him…

I want to give a shoutout to Haunt of Fear #17 for being the comic that exposed me to EC. I inherited a copy (I've already shown in this thread so no need to be redundant) and holding that book was the first time I had ever heard of the publisher. They are probably the most enjoyable 1938-1955 comics to read. Wally Wood, Graham Ingels, and Feldstein are my top 3 EC artists.

On 6/27/2023 at 5:23 PM, Robot Man said:

Here is a similar EC story.

Probably around 35 years ago, I used to frequent a local book store. It was owned by a guy around 15-20 years older than me. He only sold new comics, mags, sc-fi books ect. I got all my current books there. Some times when it was slow we would talk and he told me about the "old days" of buying/reading comics. Although I knew about and had some GA books, he educated me about some of the lessor known superheroes and other books.

He found out I was an EC lover and collector. He and his brother bought them off the racks. I of course asked if he had any of those old books but he told me they went up in a house fire in Oakland, CA a long time ago.

One day around Christmas he handed me an envelope and said Merry Christmas. Somehow this survived. It had belonged to his brother. My eyes bugged out of their sockets. He said, If I promised never to sell it, it was mine. I have kept my word. Who in their right mind would ever sell something as cool as this for mere money? 

ecfanaddictkit.jpg

Man, that’s awesome!

On 6/27/2023 at 11:24 PM, OtherEric said:

Today's addition to my EC collection.  Not the most desirable Pre Trend title, but a step up from most of the Picture Stories series, at least:

Fat and Slat 3.jpg

I've seen a couple of these up for sale on auctions lately.  As a matter of fact, while I was looking up information on issue #1, I completely missed a few auctions I was set to bid on. grrr... hate when that happens.  lol.