• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
26 26

6,383 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2023 at 8:11 PM, Robot Man said:

New one in today. I think I might need just one more to be complete.

IMG_7208.jpeg

Nice colors on this one! Interesting to see that ACMP star on the cover conforming to the comics code knowing now what they would go on to publish.

On 8/26/2023 at 7:28 AM, Robot Man said:

OK, Mitch don’t keep us in suspense. What did it go for? A deal or not? 

WHICH ONE...CC SEE ABOVE...The Ha current auction copy is only $1550...it is a 1.8 and looks great...21 days to go... This is the one if you are on a budget you have been waiting for. The CC price was strong and I think we will never see that copy again for a long long time and in that condition a great buy. FYI when I mentioned along with CC that colors were exceptional when I looked at it at SDCC...compare the 1.8 color....I mean wow...the CC copy was insane....The 1.8 is a great book, affordable.....my guess 5-7K.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 8/26/2023 at 1:40 PM, IngelsFan said:

My EC sweet spot for CGC slabbed issues is 7.5. When some of my faves come up for sale in that grade I’ll track them, just to see how my own issues are faring. That practice paid off recently when an auction was closing for this book:

IMG_2054.thumb.jpeg.cd537113d62cc88c2495423dab4c1620.jpeg

This issue is a favorite because not only is it Ingels’ first reanimated graveyard corpse, it also has one of the best EC stories, in my opinion, “Poetic Justice”.

I took a look at the back cover scan, since the book was still tragically low and I was considering picking it up as a spare…

That’s when I noticed something pretty cool.

IMG_2055.thumb.jpeg.498873381d9fae92018e36cd58f15bf2.jpeg

Now not only did CGC not catch that it was a Bethlehem pedigree, neither did the auction house. I feel super lucky to have checked this at the last minute.

I have another PCH Bethlehem pedigree, but this one is my first EC Beth. I’m super-amped to be getting this one!

Nice catch!

On 8/26/2023 at 8:30 AM, Mmehdy said:

WHICH ONE...CC SEE ABOVE...The Ha current auction copy is only $1550...it is a 1.8 and looks great...21 days to go... This is the one if you are on a budget you have been waiting for. The CC price was strong and I think we will never see that copy again for a long long time and in that condition a great buy. FYI when I mentioned along with CC that colors were exceptional when I looked at it at SDCC...compare the 1.8 color....I mean wow...the CC copy was insane....The 1.8 is a great book, affordable.....my guess 5-7K.

I was referring to the 5.0 that closed at $24,725. I know you started predicting it at $50K then revised it down to $30K. What do you think of the final hammer price? Deal or no deal? Or just about right? 

On 8/27/2023 at 8:27 AM, Hap Hazard said:

The TOF 1.8 has issues VOH 13 (2), COT 1 says 1 so assume issue 17 (1), WS 14 (3) and HOF 16 (2) and looks rough so yea 1.8 makes my 2.5 look like a great buy!

Tales of Terror 1951 a.jpg

Indeed! I know you had to give up some pretty books to aquire it, but I know you will never be sorry.

And by the way, according to many boardies, the contents “don’t matter” just the cover. I will always beg to differ…

On 8/27/2023 at 7:10 AM, Robot Man said:

I was referring to the 5.0 that closed at $24,725. I know you started predicting it at $50K then revised it down to $30K. What do you think of the final hammer price? Deal or no deal? Or just about right? 

my take, in the old market pandemic 50K.....coming out of it 30K....today 25K....if not for the strong color copy...it might of been 20K. In the long run it will play out well for the buyer, really not replaceable with those deep covers. However,  I am concerned about the price regression from the last sale....last one was like 25-26K which shows the overall downward trend of key books in the last two years. If the seller had to pancake it  right away, he might lose money like those promise  non -collector gamblers who are flipping back and taking a big hit most of the time.

This is sort of a warning sign....OK 25K for a EC book graded 5.0 is a big stretch for EC collectors...I get it...but I am worried, when a once in a lifetime book with exceptional color and graded in my opinion accurately based on a eyes on look does not go up from the last sale or is even close in price...then I see a red flag  day coming for all serious  GA collectors. However this might be the best time in history now or in the future  to go after the 1.8....right now its $1650....after this sale. So, I mean if any book is going to survive some sort of price adjustment it would be this one, and on the lower price end you are very very safe. It took a collector friend of mine over 30 years to find his copy that was #1 on this list for  that  entire time.

Edited by Mmehdy