• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,330 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2024 at 3:31 PM, Black_Adam said:

Oh, shoot.  I meant to try and answer the question when I got home last night, if nobody beat me to it, but I forgot.  Sorry about that, didn't want you to think we were ignoring you in the EC thread.  Are you still looking for a source for reprints of Wally Wood's early MAD stories?

On 2/22/2024 at 10:31 PM, Tri-Color Brian said:

Re-scanned some of my ECs...got the colors much closer to reality, if not right on...:acclaim:

53514712510_62ccf945e0_c.jpg

53514519504_17dfa9ac7d_c.jpg

53514195461_a866b40ccf_c.jpg

53514501543_55e4706a83_c.jpg

53515946264_7407ae5f96_c.jpg

53518240166_a2483e597d_c.jpg

53518404983_a6fe188a75_c.jpg

53518943962_92666fe8c2_c.jpg

53520238634_6f3de1dff7_c.jpg

Great random selection of EC covers. In over 50 years collecting them, I never get tired of looking at them. The CSS 20 is especially hard to reproduce. Brown is a hard color to get right. My copy is so much richer in person than any scan or photo I’ve been able to do. 

On 2/23/2024 at 8:49 AM, Robot Man said:

Great random selection of EC covers. In over 50 years collecting them, I never get tired of looking at them. The CSS 20 is especially hard to reproduce. Brown is a hard color to get right. My copy is so much richer in person than any scan or photo I’ve been able to do. 

I know what you mean.  I spent a lot of time with that book in photoshop to get the colors as accurate as I could.  My scanner just doesn't do the job.  The Haunt 17 was a real nightmare too...  :facepalm:

On 2/23/2024 at 1:40 PM, Tri-Color Brian said:

I know what you mean.  I spent a lot of time with that book in photoshop to get the colors as accurate as I could.  My scanner just doesn't do the job.  The Haunt 17 was a real nightmare too...  :facepalm:

Why not break down and get a new printer to scan with?  They're dirt cheap.

On 2/23/2024 at 10:48 PM, fifties said:

Why not break down and get a new printer to scan with?  They're dirt cheap.

Because I don't know if a new dirt cheap scanner will do a better job.  There's a whole discussion on scanners and what they can do in the Baker thread.  I just don't want to deal with buying a new one.  I'm learning how to manipulate mine better, and I'm also learning more about my photoshop, so the books are looking a lot better and I enjoy working on the images.  :bigsmile:  And really, I haven't seen anyone show a scan on here that was exactly how the book was supposed to look.  I think we all have the same problems.

On 2/24/2024 at 4:17 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

My wife is already on board with copying this cover to use for our 2024 Christmas cards that get sent out to our family and friends! lol

Vault Of Horror (1950) #35 VG/FN (5.0) Christmas Cover EC Comics

Cool concept. Are you wearing the green robe in this scenario?  :baiting:

On 2/29/2024 at 6:21 PM, OtherEric said:

Grabbed at ECCC today.  The first time I've gotten one of the pre-renumbering issues of the SF titles:

Weird_Science_04(15).jpg

Nice! A classic indeed.

How is the vintage selection at ECCC this year? Many good dealers? I went just pre covid and did pretty well buying. But it seems like more and more dealers are staying close to home. Except Harley as the world is his home. 

On 3/1/2024 at 7:50 AM, Robot Man said:

Nice! A classic indeed.

How is the vintage selection at ECCC this year? Many good dealers? I went just pre covid and did pretty well buying. But it seems like more and more dealers are staying close to home. Except Harley as the world is his home. 

It was horrible for vintage dealers this year, to the point we're I'm toying with skipping Sunday already.  According to the one dealer I spoke with, it was partly due to a fiasco last year, where each dealer was only provided one table to set up on, creating a scramble to find folding tables.  (It was the first year in the new building.)

I want to be clear:  for anybody looking for anything other than vintage comics, the show is awesome, with a spectacular artist's alley and tons of other vendors.  But the vintage comic selection, while still providing enough for me to blow my budget, is underwhelming.

On 3/1/2024 at 8:34 AM, OtherEric said:

It was horrible for vintage dealers this year, to the point we're I'm toying with skipping Sunday already.  According to the one dealer I spoke with, it was partly due to a fiasco last year, where each dealer was only provided one table to set up on, creating a scramble to find folding tables.  (It was the first year in the new building.)

I want to be clear:  for anybody looking for anything other than vintage comics, the show is awesome, with a spectacular artist's alley and tons of other vendors.  But the vintage comic selection, while still providing enough for me to blow my budget, is underwhelming.

I was kind of afraid of that. I looked at the dealer list and only saw Harley and Sibra who would have been targets for my wallet. I imagine if I did some serious box diving and found “that one guy” at every con I might have been a little disapointed.

This years CalCon was a bit disappointing for me. I set up as a dealer and wasn’t sorry by any means. I’m 20 minutes away and a table was reasonable. I noticed right away that the crowd seemed a bit light. It is usually elbow to elbow and packed all day. I left about an hour and a half early and made about half of what I did last year. I heard a bit of dealer “grumbling” but mostly from those who brought super high priced (maybe overpriced) stuff. I mostly bring lower priced but unusual GA/SA stuff that goes to readers, run fillers and folks who just like old books on a budget. As a buyer, I found that “one guy” with some cool GA priced right.

Might have been the weather. We had a pretty massive storm predicted starting on Sunday. Or it might have been the market it’s self whereby, folks are just holding back a bit.

Next show coming up is WonderCon on Easter weekend. Bad weekend for a show anyway. Last year it was a little “thin” for both buyers and sellers. I am going with a full wallet to buy but don’t expect much.

Are comic cons slowly dying? Are prices to the point where setting up at shows or traveling to buy just isn’t worth it? Even at smaller vintage comic dealing shows? I hate to think this. I MUCH prefer a live show over the internet. Both for comic dealing as well as the social part of it.

Appears this might be the case everywhere and not just limited to the West Coast. Any opinions? 

Edited by Robot Man