• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,331 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2024 at 10:03 AM, Robot Man said:

I was kind of afraid of that. I looked at the dealer list and only saw Harley and Sibra who would have been targets for my wallet. I imagine if I did some serious box diving and found “that one guy” at every con I might have been a little disapointed.

This years CalCon was a bit disappointing for me. I set up as a dealer and wasn’t sorry by any means. I’m 20 minutes away and a table was reasonable. I noticed right away that the crowd seemed a bit light. It is usually elbow to elbow and packed all day. I left about an hour and a half early and made about half of what I did last year. I heard a bit of dealer “grumbling” but mostly from those who brought super high priced (maybe overpriced) stuff. I mostly bring lower priced but unusual GA/SA stuff that goes to readers, run fillers and folks who just like old books on a budget. As a buyer, I found that “one guy” with some cool GA priced right.

Might have been the weather. We had a pretty massive storm predicted starting on Sunday. Or it might have been the market it’s self whereby, folks are just holding back a bit.

Next show coming up is WonderCon on Easter weekend. Bad weekend for a show anyway. Last year it was a little “thin” for both buyers and sellers. I am going with a full wallet to buy but don’t expect much.

Are comic cons slowly dying? Are prices to the point where setting up at shows or traveling to buy just isn’t worth it? Even at smaller vintage comic dealing shows? I hate to think this. I MUCH prefer a live show over the internet. Both for comic dealing as well as the social part of it.

Appears this might be the case everywhere and not just limited to the West Coast. Any opinions? 

Maybe Terry doesn't advertise like he used to.  Remember when he used to do those TV commercials and the announcer would say, "Here's Terry O'neil and his dog Spot"?  He used to always end the commercial with a jingle that said "Go see Cal Con, Go see Cal Con, Go see Cal Con".  I loved those, except for all the used cars.  I don't know what they were doing in a comic con commercial...B|

Edited by Tri-Color Brian

On 3/3/2024 at 9:05 AM, KirbyJack said:

Can’t go wrong with a Frontline Combat.

I still say, story for story, Frontline Combat is EC’s most consistently excellent book.  Nothing less than excellent across the entire run.  Every other EC series had at least a few stinkers.

On 3/3/2024 at 5:41 PM, OtherEric said:

So, as promised, I went to the Oni Press panel at ECCC today, and did ask a couple questions. 

They're serious about presenting these as EC books, the issues won't even have an Oni logo on them.  They're consciously trying to position themselves as "what sort of comics would EC be doing in 2024 if they hadn't disappeared", which is part of why they're doing new titles rather than just revivals of old ones.  They weren't quite ready to announce the third title, but they did say it's in a genre that classic EC never exactly did, but it's adjacent.  They are planning to do books that aren't anthologies as they go on.  They said the books were going to be definitely R rated, which I didn't consider totally reassuring- more because saying something is R rated can mean too many different things, not all of them good.  The elaborated by saying they felt current comics were too often playing it safe, looking for how can this become a movie or TV show or something else other than a comic, and that they wanted to feel a bit dangerous.  I can get behind that idea a lot more.  They are going to be using a font based directly on the Leroy Lettering, which is good... although I did tell them to make sure to switch to something else if they did wind up doing a war comic.

Overall, I came away feeling like the project is being run by people who have a clear idea of what they want to do and a strong urge to be true to the spirit of the EC's, while not doing a simple homage.  I'm not sure if they'll succeed, or even if success is possible 70 years later, but I do have the impression that they're coming at the project from a good angle, rather than just relying on people recognizing the names of the books.

IMG_2320.jpeg

IMG_2319.jpeg

IMG_2318.jpeg

That is reassuring! Thanks for sharing!