• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

Hmmm, I never even considered that it was from a story doh!

I always think the cover art is not related to a story, unless I've read the book itself. A lot of cover art is unrelated to the interior, such as FAC # 20.

Most PCH is not but EC is the exception! (thumbs u

VOH%2030%2096%20Gaines%20front_zps6hzyir8l.jpg

Beautiful copy!

But can someone explain exactly what is supposed to be happening on this cover?

Did the people get on the subway with the arm hanging there? If so, why do they all look so surprised now?

Did the person who was holding the handle suddenly disappear and leave just their arm?

Did their arm break and they fell to the ground? If so, why is everyone looking at the arm and not at the person on the ground?

Did the arm suddenly materialize out of thin air?

(shrug)

Great copy of a great book. I bought Vault of Horror 29 and 30 from Bobby Bell in the early seventies for the princely sum of $10 each - marked down (on the bag) from $15. Beautiful copies too (still got 'em).

To answer the "what is going on" question, as I recall it was a few medical students who decided to play a few practical jokes with parts of the cadavers they were using in their anatomy classes.

Naturally, there was a "get square" E.C. style ending.

I like the little gag on the subway advertising - "Stomach Upset?" lol

Right you are about the story, entitled, "Practical Choke", the second word of which ended up being displayed in the last panel of the story.

AFA the subway situation, the three med students put the hand and arm on the strap while the car was crowded, then got off and watched as the car began emptying at the Brighton Beach Station, when it then stood out by itself.

They then proceeded to do somewhat the same at the beach twice, with legs, and a head.

They got theirs in the EC tradition, eh eh.

VOH%2030%2096%20Gaines%20front_zps6hzyir8l.jpg

Beautiful copy!

But can someone explain exactly what is supposed to be happening on this cover?

Did the people get on the subway with the arm hanging there? If so, why do they all look so surprised now?

Did the person who was holding the handle suddenly disappear and leave just their arm?

Did their arm break and they fell to the ground? If so, why is everyone looking at the arm and not at the person on the ground?

Did the arm suddenly materialize out of thin air?

(shrug)

Great copy of a great book. I bought Vault of Horror 29 and 30 from Bobby Bell in the early seventies for the princely sum of $10 each - marked down (on the bag) from $15. Beautiful copies too (still got 'em).

To answer the "what is going on" question, as I recall it was a few medical students who decided to play a few practical jokes with parts of the cadavers they were using in their anatomy classes.

Naturally, there was a "get square" E.C. style ending.

I like the little gag on the subway advertising - "Stomach Upset?" lol

Right you are about the story, entitled, "Practical Choke", the second word of which ended up being displayed in the last panel of the story.

AFA the subway situation, the three med students put the hand and arm on the strap while the car was crowded, then got off and watched as the car began emptying at the Brighton Beach Station, when it then stood out by itself.

They then proceeded to do somewhat the same at the beach twice, with legs, and a head.

They got theirs in the EC tradition, eh eh.

:acclaim:

Hmmm, I never even considered that it was from a story doh!

I always think the cover art is not related to a story, unless I've read the book itself. A lot of cover art is unrelated to the interior, such as FAC # 20.

Most PCH is not but EC is the exception! (thumbs u

You know, that's interesting;

I've never really thought about it conscientiously, but I think I'd have to disagree somewhat.

Just off the top of my balding head, all of ACG's horror fare, Adv Into The Unk, Forbidden Worlds, Skeleton Hand, and Out Of The Night had the cover illus linked to an interior story. Same with The Thing, Minoan's Tales of Horror, and Atlas's dozen or so horror books. I'm sure there's many more, just haven't gone through my boxes yet.

Thanks for all the comments! I think I need to turn up the brightness a bit on my scanner though :sorry:

If you do, the grade box on the label will be downright blinding...does make it easy to see that sweet "9.6", though... lol

With the recent complaints in the Unpopular Opinions thread about the clutter on many of EC's covers, this one seems worth a post for bucking the trend. Great cover image and use of dark inks.

cs23.jpg

Do you know of a TOT Annual #1 for sale? Haven't seen one for sale in over a year.

Then you don't troll eBay's horror section daily...:wink: I've seen more than one within the last year.

With the recent complaints in the Unpopular Opinions thread about the clutter on many of EC's covers, this one seems worth a post for bucking the trend. Great cover image and use of dark inks.

cs23.jpg

That was one of my first EC's. A great issue from cover to cover.

Here's another great and uncluttered EC cover. Not a whole lot of inkwork on this, but Marie Severin's colouring is top notch.

Piracy_6_zpsc14f108a.jpg

Great Krigstein cover - the sun is so bright, one almost wants to avert their eyes.