• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts on Celebrity Fee's for Sigs

162 posts in this topic

I pay for sketches, but will usually won't pay more than $5 for a signature unless a friend or family member is with me and really wants it. Sketches are something that takes time and is a work of art, while signatures are common and usually have no thought.

The only signatures in my collection that I've paid more than $5 for were Stan Lee, and those were only because I had qualified or restored books, and didn't want green or full purple labels.

I like the sigs on my OA and fine art and on my S/L Stephen King and Joe Hill books. But I'm not interested in any celebrity signing, but it's a pleasure to meet them and say hello.

Dan

I was at a small "pop" con last year and there were some B/C list celebrities there:

Margot Kidder (Lois Lane)

Ernie Hudson (Winston from Ghostbusters)

Sophia from the Walking Dead

The mom from E.T.

Most were charging between $15-$25 for a pic/sig, which is fine by me.

I went around the corner and ran into another celebrity.... Michael Biehn. You know, Terminator, Aliens, Tombstone.... That guy. I felt kinda bad he was there doing sigs for $20. These guys do depend on this money for there income, so as long as it's in that $15-$25 range I'm cool with it.

14054498608_5410770332_c.jpg

I was at a small "pop" con last year and there were some B/C list celebrities there:

Margot Kidder (Lois Lane)

Ernie Hudson (Winston from Ghostbusters)

Sophia from the Walking Dead

The mom from E.T.

Most were charging between $15-$25 for a pic/sig, which is fine by me.

I went around the corner and ran into another celebrity.... Michael Biehn. You know, Terminator, Aliens, Tombstone.... That guy. I felt kinda bad he was there doing sigs for $20. These guys do depend on this money for there income, so as long as it's in that $15-$25 range I'm cool with it.

14054498608_5410770332_c.jpg

My theory may be right. His agent is not that aggressive. Many A+ actors or celebrities have ultra-super agents who hustle for money.

If you are a multi-millionaire charging big bucks for you sig and pocketing the money from the very fans that paid the money that made you a millionaire, I think that is a pretty scummy move.

+infinity

Like Hemsworth charging $200 a pop, it's disgusting. I think part of is crowd control, the problem would be resellers having tons of items to sign of it were free. So I understand charging something to avoid the scummy resellers with no respect for others. It's a fine line unfortunately. Scummy celeb, or scummy resellers, average people almost always get screwed

If you are a multi-millionaire charging big bucks for you sig and pocketing the money from the very fans that paid the money that made you a millionaire, I think that is a pretty scummy move.

+infinity

Like Hemsworth charging $200 a pop, it's disgusting. I think part of is crowd control, the problem would be resellers having tons of items to sign of it were free. So I understand charging something to avoid the scummy resellers with no respect for others. It's a fine line unfortunately. Scummy celeb, or scummy resellers, average people almost always get screwed

So Chris Hemsworth is supposed to, instead of shagging starlets and jettsetting the globe, give you and your ilk free autographs?

Why else would he go to Philadelphia in the summer if not to make a quick hundred grand, or to help out a charity or whatever?

The entitlement theory in this country is devouring it from the inside.

:facepalm:

Harrison Ford does not do conventions nor signature sessions. In regards to charging $400 - 500 per signature, I think I remember seeing on Rebelscum that it was for a charity.

I remember for example Adam West was charging $50 for autographs at SuperMegaFest 6 yrs ago and inscribed on personal paraphernalia to the sadness of some of his fans. He was not the nicest of people and dealers thought his signing prices were overly expensive then.

Now he wants $100? I have to say the Canada wide comicons have jacked up prices for autographs. I can get photos from reputable dealers at a fraction of what they want at a show. To me there is some gouging going on there for sure.

I remember for example Adam West was charging $50 for autographs at SuperMegaFest 6 yrs ago and inscribed on personal paraphernalia to the sadness of some of his fans. He was not the nicest of people and dealers thought his signing prices were overly expensive then.

Now he wants $100? I have to say the Canada wide comicons have jacked up prices for autographs. I can get photos from reputable dealers at a fraction of what they want at a show. To me there is some gouging going on there for sure.

^^

Harrison Ford does not do conventions nor signature sessions. In regards to charging $400 - 500 per signature, I think I remember seeing on Rebelscum that it was for a charity.

I think the money was going to his charity, Conservation International.

And the demand was certainly there for it. It sold out rather quickly.

+infinity

So Chris Hemsworth is supposed to, instead of shagging starlets and jettsetting the globe, give you and your ilk free autographs?

Why else would he go to Philadelphia in the summer if not to make a quick hundred grand, or to help out a charity or whatever?

+1

Why else would Chris Hemsworth go to Philadelphia in the summer if not to make a quick hundred grand, or to help out a charity or whatever?

Part of actors contracts include promoting their movies by attending events and touring, right? So, maybe to promote the movie he got paid millions to be in? :shrug:

+infinity

Why else would he go to Philadelphia in the summer

I'm sure it was to watch the Phillies beat the Mutts.

Was wondering where you all stand with regards to Celebrity fee's. Whats too much? Don't care, etc?

I think $50 is the upper limit of what I would personally consider acceptable. Not too happy about Adam West charging nearly $100 and having his personalization policy.

I get that they don't want to be flooded with hundreds if not thousands of requests but some of the fee's are a bit excessive, if they are going to have fee's in the triple digits, they should be donating it to charity or something, a lot of these celebs don't need the money. Usually if you charge more, your name demands a premium which would normally mean your doing well for yourself wouldn't it? :shrug: MacGuyver asking $75 for his sig is :screwy: to me, that might have flow, oh, about 20 years ago.

Please, no "if you don't like it, don't get it" comments. That goes without saying, I want to get other thoughts and get some discussions going.

I haven't read through the entire thread, but I can certainly understanding charging a high price for an autograph since the majority of the people getting the signatures are doing it for the quick flip/profit.

+infinity

If its for charity then it's different. If he chooses to go to these conventions than why not give a little to the fans. Not free but several hundred for a single autograph is excessive not to mention the appearance fee he gets to show up. No one forces them to attend, if they do it would be refreshing to see them be considerate of the fans, the same ones who make them a box office draw.

This has nothing to do with entitlement. Either you didn't understand the thread or your eager to regurgitate whatever you last heard in academia.