• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ant-Man director calls it quits

110 posts in this topic

Is This The Real Reason Edgar Wright Left Marvel's ANT-MAN?

About 3 months ago, Marvel had notes. The meat of the notes were about the core morality of the piece, must include franchise characters. etc., These notes came from the big four at Marvel. Joe Cornish and Edgar Wright did two drafts to try and answer the notes without compromising their vision. 6 weeks ago Marvel took the -script off them and gave the writing assignment to two very low credit writers. One of the writers were from Marvel's in house writing team. Edgar stayed cool, agreed to stay on the project, and read the draft. The -script came in this week and was completely undone. Poorer, homogenized, and not Edgar's vision. Edgar met with Marvel on Friday to formally exit and the announcement went out directly after. Edgar & Joe were upset by the sudden, out of nowhere lack of faith in them as filmmakers.

I'm guessing he wanted it more comedic than Sony/Marvel wanted it.
This is also really surprising to hear because Kevin Feige has had Marvel Studios running like a well oiled machine for so many years. I guess there really is a first time for everything.

It's not though. They have parted ways with a director during pre-production, as well as well known actors.

It's the Marvel way or the highway.

Is This The Real Reason Edgar Wright Left Marvel's ANT-MAN?

About 3 months ago, Marvel had notes. The meat of the notes were about the core morality of the piece, must include franchise characters. etc., These notes came from the big four at Marvel. Joe Cornish and Edgar Wright did two drafts to try and answer the notes without compromising their vision. 6 weeks ago Marvel took the -script off them and gave the writing assignment to two very low credit writers. One of the writers were from Marvel's in house writing team. Edgar stayed cool, agreed to stay on the project, and read the draft. The -script came in this week and was completely undone. Poorer, homogenized, and not Edgar's vision. Edgar met with Marvel on Friday to formally exit and the announcement went out directly after. Edgar & Joe were upset by the sudden, out of nowhere lack of faith in them as filmmakers.

Wow, Marvel Studios just has a way of doing things but it's worked out pretty well so far. Not sure what to make of this (shrug)

This is also really surprising to hear because Kevin Feige has had Marvel Studios running like a well oiled machine for so many years. I guess there really is a first time for everything.

It's not though. They have parted ways with a director during pre-production, as well as well known actors.

The only other time I can remember something like this happening is when they recast the Hulk but that was because Norton is well known as an actor that's difficult to work with and Kenneth Branagh not retuning to direct Thor 2. I think this is the first time for Marvel where a director has quit the film outright well into production, no?

The movie's been in production for a long time (6 years?) and likely has long been a fairly standalone film ... meaning not enmeshed with the "Marvel Cinematic Universe."

The way things seem to be going, Disney's interest in creating and sustaining a 'universe' has to be extremely high, basically why they bought Marvel.

It could be that the new -script wants to more closely tie the movie to the MCU, 'watering down' the original vision of a standalone movie.

All that said, this is the next flick after Avengers, no? Plenty of pressure on this one and Dr. Strange now.

The news has moved the market. Check out GPA: TTA 27, 35, and even 44 all nose-diving.

Checked. Not much. There are almost no down arrows on all grades.

Sorry I induced you to check, I was joking. :gossip: But give this news a couple of months to sink in, it will be interesting to see how the pricing is affected.

I just can't make myself get excited over an Ant Man movie. :facepalm:

+1

+2

I'd rather see Hank Pym as Giant Man in a throwback Avengers movie.

I was looking forward to this movie as a fan of Hank Pym and most of his guises. I was hoping to get a good Ant-Man movie with a hint to Giant-Man at the end with possible appearance in an Avengers movie. I was even OK with the rumor of an old Pym as a Yellowjacket villain. Who knows what will happen now. I do know that the Wasp needs to be introduced soon in a movie. :cloud9:

Maybe he was trying to direct it like a Scott Pilgrim movie, and Marvel's just not that hip.

I say, go make another Scott Pilgrim movie, that was awesome!

Yes it was.

The only other time I can remember something like this happening is when they recast the Hulk but that was because Norton is well known as an actor that's difficult to work with and Kenneth Branagh not retuning to direct Thor 2. I think this is the first time for Marvel where a director has quit the film outright well into production, no?

Don't forget, Terrence Howard rocked the boat, and Marvel kicked him to the curb.

All of their early directors moved on from the franchises they launched obviously (Favreau, Branaugh, Johnston), but I was referring to Patty Jenkins.

Marvel hired Patty to direct Thor 2, and she also left due to "creative differences" in late pre-production. Marvel settled on Alan Taylor to direct.

I have no way to prove this, but my gut tells me the reverse is probably true.

Exactly. The stars (and their agencies) run Hollywood, and Paul Rudd is not exactly known for his action roles. lol

yeah, not like Michael Keaton, Tobey Maguire, and Robert Downey Jr.

Some movies aren't made to be made = This and the sequel to Man of Steel er Batman vs Superman wait. Batman Superman and the Justice League..... Batman Superman and the Slumber party.... whatever!