• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

Bought the Blu-ray and watched it last night with the wife and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I like Cumberbatch as Doc and look forward to a sequel.  Thought the ending was a tad weak, like it was missing something, but I can't quite put my finger on what it was missing. 

If Marvel does one thing right, in all of their movies, it's the casting of their main heroes.  The actors are not always a great knockoff of the comic characters that we grew up with, but we do get great actors that look close to the comics and make the characters believable. 

I will be rewatching this.  Well done Marvel.

6 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

What did you think of Benedict Cumberbatch's performance? He is my favorite Marvel actor now.

Thought he had a perfect arc for his character without overplaying the initial callowness that RDJr. did in the original Iron Man, yet fell back into for some odd reason in Iron Man 2. I would put Chris Evans on top though, for bringing something to an old fashioned role and making it fresh. Cumberbatch is definitely in the top 3 though. (thumbsu  

12 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Thought he had a perfect arc for his character without overplaying the initial callowness that RDJr. did in the original Iron Man, yet fell back into for some odd reason in Iron Man 2. I would put Chris Evans on top though, for bringing something to an old fashioned role and making it fresh. Cumberbatch is definitely in the top 3 though. (thumbsu  

A major personal reason why I liked his character was because for two years I had severe carpal tunnel in both wrists. Two Septembers ago it was the pain was so excruciating, I couldn't even type or sleep. I had an opportunity to write for a paper and I didn't want to throw that away, so I put all my effort into that and kind of fell off from here as it was getting harder to do both. By January, I couldn't even turn a comic book page or do a full day at my day job at a manufacturing facility. But, I kept working as best as I could right until my surgery. I really withdrew from "friends" on here and online who really didn't care about something that be might going on in my life and just focused on trying to write decent articles, with my limited finger movements. So, I really got Strange's frustration with his condition and how he went past it to better himself emotionally. I came back here after the first operation and made a lot of new friends and really enjoyed myself talking with old friends as I was stuck home recuperating. Now, I have headlines that the community enjoys. That alone makes me feel like a real-life superhero, strange as that sounds.  

DSC05923 (Small).JPG

DSC06196 (1) (Large).JPG

DSC06241 (1) (Large).JPG

DSC09168(2).JPG

12 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

A major personal reason why I liked his character was because for two years I had severe carpal tunnel in both wrists. Two Septembers ago it was the pain was so excruciating, I couldn't even type or sleep. I had an opportunity to write for a paper and I didn't want to throw that away, so I put all my effort into that and kind of fell off from here as it was getting harder to do both. By January, I couldn't even turn a comic book page or do a full day at my day job at a manufacturing facility. But, I kept working as best as I could right until my surgery. I really withdrew from "friends" on here and online who really didn't care about something that be might going on in my life and just focused on trying to write decent articles, with my limited finger movements. So, I really got Strange's frustration with his condition and how he went past it to better himself emotionally. I came back here after the first operation and made a lot of new friends and really enjoyed myself talking with old friends as I was stuck home recuperating. Now, I have headlines that the community enjoys. That alone makes me feel like a real-life superhero, strange as that sounds.  

Although I thought the time-looped battle with Dormammu was good, it was a little disappointing to see him presented as a big Galactus cloud or old-school, Wizard of Oz-like projection, rather than an actual humanoid figure.

48 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Although I thought the time-looped battle with Dormammu was good, it was a little disappointing to see him presented as a big Galactus cloud or old-school, Wizard of Oz-like projection, rather than an actual humanoid figure.

I didn't mind it for the reason alone was that I watched "The Wizard of Oz" for the first time ever on 3-D Blu Ray a couple of months ago. I know, some movie buff I turned out to be. lol It just felt very theatrical and "in your face" more that I was initially expecting.

1 hour ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

DSC05923 (Small).JPG

DSC06196 (1) (Large).JPG

DSC06241 (1) (Large).JPG

DSC09168(2).JPG

Wow! I never realized carpel tunnel syndrome could get that severe! Did they ever know what causes it to get that severe?

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Wow! I never realized carpel tunnel syndrome could get that severe! Did they ever know what causes it to get that severe?

I'm gonna go with blatant stupidity on my part.

There were signs a year before, but ignored them as I hate going to the doctors.

I inspect solar panels for buildings and sometime they are huge (and 300 to a job,) the constant flipping and catching didn't do me any favors. Also, a much weaker lifting partner. I did a dexterity test for another job and just barely passed it.

It dawned on me I had issues, so I passed on that job because I didn't want them to get baggage from another company. After my electrode test, they said I was too far along for physical therapy and needed immediate surgery.

They throw a blanket over you during the procedure and all you hear is scraping. The most painful one (the left) went without a hitch. The right one, the surgeon stopped and called a couple people in to look. Kind of scary when your under a sheet, hearing about damages here and there.

Problem is I'm allergic to all the cillans , so antibiotics were out. Had to use good old Vitamin C. So healing felt slower.

I'm better than I have been now, but scared something might go wrong again. I wear my wrist splints whenever I lift.

I'm telling you if you feel something funny with your hands, check it out!

On 3/5/2017 at 1:57 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I'm not sure how they could have done the character justice. Just like it would be silly to see a giant Galactus on screen in his purple shorts I think a flame headed Dormammu is never going to be easy to work on the big screen.

On 3/5/2017 at 1:16 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

Sorry to hear that you had such serious health issues - it's good that you made it back here.

3 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

I'm not sure how they could have done the character justice. Just like it would be silly to see a giant Galactus on screen in his purple shorts I think a flame headed Dormammu is never going to be easy to work on the big screen.

Too similar to Ghost Rider as well, so it's already been done on-screen.  I forgot about that.

Just saw this On Demand. The wife liked it a lot more than I did. I would give it 2 1/2 stars out of 5. Cumberbatch looked really good as Doctor Strange, but why does almost every Marvel hero have to be sarcastic and funny? It just wears on me after a while.

There was more I disliked than liked and I found the pace kind of slow in general.

3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I feel asleep watching this movie. It was okay but it's on the Thor level of marvel movies for me. Meaning I will never watch it again

Did you like Ant Man? I ended up enjoying that one a lot more than I thought I would.