• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

Already at Ant-Man #'s. :applause:

Any-Man was a weaker film based on everything I have heard. If this one did not hit that then something would be majorly wrong.

Obviously it's no surprise that DS brought in Ant-Man #'s, but how quickly it did. Very low 2nd weekend drop compared to recent superhero films. Should be able to pass Winter Soldier at this rate.

The cloak was a little "Harry Potter"ish but it didn't ruin it for me.

I can't remember, in referring to magical artifacts did Mordo say something like "A magical artifact will pick you"?

So the cloak chose him. Is that concept part of DS lore?

Is the cloak sentient? It chose him so I'm guessing it is sentient. That makes me wonder if DS and his cloak have a symbiotic relationship, like Venom and his host. Imagine if DS's cloak went the direction of Venom's storyline.

Does the cloak have gender? It would make for an interesting storyline if the Cloak became jealous of one of DS's future girl friends.

Any-Man was a weaker film based on everything I have heard. If this one did not hit that then something would be majorly wrong.

Obviously it's no surprise that DS brought in Ant-Man #'s, but how quickly it did. Very low 2nd weekend drop compared to recent superhero films. Should be able to pass Winter Soldier at this rate.

DS is showing in less theaters than WS, so that could hurt it's $, but I actually think it's going to gain money from the fact that everyone wants to see it in 3-D or Imax because they've heard it's visually exciting. I have a feeling it'll end somewhere between Thor 2 & Cap WS which will be a huge success.

The cloak was a little "Harry Potter"ish but it didn't ruin it for me.

I can't remember, in referring to magical artifacts did Mordo say something like "A magical artifact will pick you"?

So the cloak chose him. Is that concept part of DS lore?

Is the cloak sentient? It chose him so I'm guessing it is sentient. That makes me wonder if DS and his cloak have a symbiotic relationship, like Venom and his host. Imagine if DS's cloak went the direction of Venom's storyline.

Does the cloak have gender? It would make for an interesting storyline if the Cloak became jealous of one of DS's future girl friends.

It reminded me of Spawn's cape from the comics (not so much the movie).

I really liked it. The story was good considering the ground it had to cover and still have a villain, a conflict and more. I'm a pretty hard core Dr Strange fan, and I didn't feel it went too far from the source material for a present day movie adaptation. While it would have been cool to delve deeper into how the mysticism worked in the books, like the invoking of extra planar beings for their powers, they did touch on it just a bit, and you can only do so much and move the plot forward. Some of the effects were like nothing I had seen before on screen, and really were at times reminiscent of the silver age books. First movie I've seen since Avatar where I thought it really was worth seeing in 3D. I think it deserves the 91% it has on rotten tomatoes, and if you see it, definitely see it on the big screen in 3D.

DS is showing in less theaters than WS, so that could hurt it's $, but I actually think it's going to gain money from the fact that everyone wants to see it in 3-D or Imax because they've heard it's visually exciting. I have a feeling it'll end somewhere between Thor 2 & Cap WS which will be a huge success.

this is a safe bet. a little more optimistic would be between Cap WS and GOTG. looks like the current trajectory is very close to Cap WS. $240-250MM domestic, $460-475MM Int'l.

this is a safe bet. a little more optimistic would be between Cap WS and GOTG. looks like the current trajectory is very close to Cap WS. $240-250MM domestic, $460-475MM Int'l.

Will be around 185 dom & 400 Int by Sunday. There's another 15 - 20 between Argentina Nov 24th & Japan Jan 27th also. I can't see how it doesn't reach WS. Maybe if they pull it from China & South Korea after Moana comes out next week. Ant-Man only made it 3 weeks in China & still brought in 105+.

DS has 4 more weeks before Star Wars dominates theaters. I thought it would do better domestically than it has. Right now I'd say 230 - 240 Dom & around 500 Int. Definitely a success.

I really liked it. The story was good considering the ground it had to cover and still have a villain, a conflict and more. I'm a pretty hard core Dr Strange fan, and I didn't feel it went too far from the source material for a present day movie adaptation. While it would have been cool to delve deeper into how the mysticism worked in the books, like the invoking of extra planar beings for their powers, they did touch on it just a bit, and you can only do so much and move the plot forward. Some of the effects were like nothing I had seen before on screen, and really were at times reminiscent of the silver age books. First movie I've seen since Avatar where I thought it really was worth seeing in 3D. I think it deserves the 91% it has on rotten tomatoes, and if you see it, definitely see it on the big screen in 3D.

Come on... I just know you were like "why is Agamotto's magic green instead of white?" lol They dropped a lot of names, but mixed everything up, and I wished they hadn't. Big difference between name dropping, and adding elements that only comic people would appreciate, like the camera on top of Zola's screen in Winter Soldier.

Definitely would've appreciated the Ancient One explaining magic comes from the mind, the realm, and powers granted by otherworldly entities... although I'm not sure which of those three all those energy swords come from...:(

I was on a business trip to Chennai, India last week and saw the movie in 3D. Total cost was about $2.50 in a very nice Imax Cinema. The movie was great and the crowd was into the movie - cat calling Benedict Cumberbatch when he first appeared, cheering on the fight scenes, and going bananas over the first post credit scene. Interestingly, right in the middle of the first fight scene, the movie cut for a 15 minute intermission. That was an interesting experience.