• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

It's an old article:

http://screenrant.com/doctor-strange-china-tibet-ancient-one/

It makes sense. I know after watching the movie, I was wondering why much of it felt off to me. For audiences not familiar with the comic books however, they wouldn't notice.

Overall, it was an entertaining movie. It will be interesting to see D.S. integrated with the other Marvel movie characters.

Edited by rjrjr

It's an old article:

http://screenrant.com/doctor-strange-china-tibet-ancient-one/

It makes sense. I know after watching the movie, I was wondering why much of it felt off to me. For audiences not familiar with the comic books however, they wouldn't notice.

Overall, it was an entertaining movie. It will be interesting to see D.S. integrated with the other Marvel movie characters.

Back in April one of the writers admitted they made changes to the -script to appease China's views on Tibet.

:bump:

Doctor Strange’s Erasure Of Tibet Is A Political Statement

Recently, however, discussion of Marvel’s relationship with the Chinese film market came to light once again after C. Robert Cargill, one of the screenwriters who worked on Doctor Strange, spoke very bluntly about changes made to Stephen Strange’s mentor in mysticism, the Ancient One. In the comics, the Ancient One is hundreds of years old and originates from the area that would later become known as Tibet, and Doctor Strange travels to Tibet to find him. Naturally, the Ancient One’s original background was a bit of a sticking point for Marvel because, as Cargill explained:

“The Ancient One was a racist stereotype who comes from a region of the world that is in a very weird political place. He originates from Tibet, so if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place and that he’s Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that’s bulls**t and risk the Chinese government going, ‘Hey, you know one of the biggest film-watching countries in the world? We’re not going to show your movie because you decided to get political’…"

“The only way this character could be more awkward is if he had been made back in the thirties… and instead of going to the Orient [Doctor Strange] went to Palestine and learned from a Palestinian master… That’s the only way this could be any uglier than this one now.”

He makes it sound like the change to the character's origin was to appease the Chinese box office. Ouch!

I really liked it. The story was good considering the ground it had to cover and still have a villain, a conflict and more. I'm a pretty hard core Dr Strange fan, and I didn't feel it went too far from the source material for a present day movie adaptation. While it would have been cool to delve deeper into how the mysticism worked in the books, like the invoking of extra planar beings for their powers, they did touch on it just a bit, and you can only do so much and move the plot forward. Some of the effects were like nothing I had seen before on screen, and really were at times reminiscent of the silver age books. First movie I've seen since Avatar where I thought it really was worth seeing in 3D. I think it deserves the 91% it has on rotten tomatoes, and if you see it, definitely see it on the big screen in 3D.

Agreed, especially the bolded part. We went to the theater that has full recliners and you reserve your seating when you buy the tickets. My wife and I were saying there's no going back from this!

Final weekend numbers turned out higher than estimated.

5i7q27D.png

Remaining box office release dates:

- Argentina: 24 November 2016

- Japan: 27 January 2017

:applause:

wow. by the time it's released in Japan, Dr. Strange 2 will be in theaters in America

If you don't love it I would be surprised (thumbs u

Forgot to comment when I came home from the viewing.

I really liked it - it was great to see some Ditko imagery on the big screen. :cloud9:

Cumberbatch nailed the good Doctor; maybe not as arrogant as the source character but enough to move the character forward.

I'm looking forward to a second movie in the franchise - they set up Mordo & Dormammu really well, maybe there's a Clea in the future. :)

Was in Taipei, and noticed that the Taipei16 Movie and Toys

Convention was on, so I stopped by and took a couple of pics. First up is a

life size figure of the good doctor.

IMG_0014.jpg

Edited by Rosland

Final weekend numbers turned out higher than estimated.

5i7q27D.png

Remaining box office release dates:

- Argentina: 24 November 2016

- Japan: 27 January 2017

:applause:

wow. by the time it's released in Japan, Dr. Strange 2 will be in theaters in America

I am really surprised that the domestic audience wasn`t that much bigger than Ant-Man?

Really? What`s up with domestic audiences lately? It seems the international audiences are now a more important factor. Doctor Strange may have been one of the best Marvel movies to date,yet it barely beat Ant-Man domestically?

Something`s up. It sure will be interesting now to see Logan`s domestic box office.