• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IGN is stating that Ant-Man being dumped due to loss of director

51 posts in this topic

This movie definitely seems to be on the verge of being canned or pushed back badly.

I still don't understand how they are trying for a comedy film when Ant Man has always been a more serious character.

I could easily direct this baby and guarantee a bombshell. Character driven, not plot driven story with a definable goal and obstacle. Every scene has a goal of some sort. No wasted scenes. No cliche bad guys. No cliche romance scenes.

That is all.

This movie definitely seems to be on the verge of being canned or pushed back badly.

I still don't understand how they are trying for a comedy film when Ant Man has always been a more serious character.

I don't know. The concept of the character is funny especially when you try and sell it to a mainstream audience. A shrinking hero that communicates with ants? Let's go ruin somebody's picnic! I wouldn't be able to picture him on the same screen as Thanos and being taken seriously. Thus why in a solo movie, it'd have to be a niche of some kind. And Disney/Marvel deems it to be that of comedy.

I don't know. The concept of the character is funny especially when you try and sell it to a mainstream audience. A shrinking hero that communicates with ants? Let's go ruin somebody's picnic! I wouldn't be able to picture him on the same screen as Thanos and being taken seriously. Thus why in a solo movie, it'd have to be a niche of some kind. And Disney/Marvel deems it to be that of comedy.

What is more interesting, is how important Pym is to the Marvel mythos and the Avengers history in particular. I had this conversation a few days ago with a dealer and there are few Marvel characters who have weaved their way through Marvel history like this guy has.

From all the characters that he has been in the Avengers (Ant Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellow Jacket), to the Wasp, to Ultron (who then leads into Vision and Wonder Man among others) to the characters who branch off of those characters, he's had a pretty colorful history.

If Feige has already plotted out a Marvel Universe for silver screen over the next few years (and Ant Man definitely fits in nicely), and has already pushed this movie into some form of development I don't know if I see them rewriting that plot.

I'd love to know what the problem is.

I suspect that the problem is that no one involved can envision a movie about Ant man that the general public will go to.

I think the superhero movie fad is running out of steam.

If Feige has already plotted out a Marvel Universe for silver screen over the next few years (and Ant Man definitely fits in nicely), and has already pushed this movie into some form of development I don't know if I see them rewriting that plot.

I suspect that the problem is that no one involved can envision a movie about Ant man that the general public will go to.

It is possible that nobody is able to 'pitch' a good story, but then it's also possible that there are other problems going on.

After growing up with Iron Man always being a second tier character I couldn't envision Iron Man being a 1st tier character but here he is, leading the charge. If that has shown us anything, it's that good storytelling will sell regardless of who the lead character is.

I'm super curious to find out exactly what the problem is with the Ant Man flick moving foward.

I 100% agree with the exact polar opposite of this statement. It seems the easiest path to several hundred million at the box office, is to follow the superhero trend

It's like movies we love with sequels that can connect together so they never have to he boring. Think of all the characters they can bring in, introduce, kill off.....I'm giddy just thinking about it

I 100% agree with the exact polar opposite of this statement. It seems the easiest path to several hundred million at the box office, is to follow the superhero trend

It's like movies we love with sequels that can connect together so they never have to he boring. Think of all the characters they can bring in, introduce, kill off.....I'm giddy just thinking about it

Agreed it seems the superhero movies are one of the few things that still do well domestically at the Box Office.

Box Office is at it`s lowest since 2010, and this is with ASM2,Godzilla and X-Men: Days of Future Past having record breaking openings.

Domestic Box Office lowest since May 2010.

How? The movies are breaking box office records while the movie industry is down as a whole.

I pitched my take on Ant-Man 10 years ago, and the production company that had the rights at the time liked my pitch, but they were laser-focused on Iron Fist. Ant-Man, they said, was "on the back burner".

Still, it makes no sense to me that a director can't be found for a Marvel Studios film, unless the -script they're passing around to potential directors is just awful.

Agreed it seems the superhero movies are one of the few things that still do well domestically at the Box Office.

Box Office is at it`s lowest since 2010, and this is with ASM2,Godzilla and X-Men: Days of Future Past having record breaking openings.

Domestic Box Office lowest since May 2010.

read the article. it basically says that those 3 movies fell off a cliff after the opening weekend which lead to the lowest domestic box office since May 2010