• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM - New Mutants #87

25 posts in this topic

Because of such a large grade swing on this book I feel somewhat compelled and curious so I would like to post this query. Low PGM grade of 6.0. High PGM grade of 9.2. Median PGM grade of 8.0.

14 small spine ticks front/back

shows up bigger on the back the spine ticks

front top middle some kind of dent creasing

rounded corners

These are the same flaws that I can see on this book. So I propose this question, with the understanding that there are no hidden flaws or defects:

If you purchased this book at a 9.0/9.2 CGC certified grade, would you be a satisfied buyer?

Yes or No

If you submitted the book to CGC and received the 9.0/9.2 CGC certified grade would you be a satisfied customer?

Yes or No

8.0, maybe 8.5. Agree with posters about image size. When I reduced the size to normal comic book size, only a few spine ticks were noticeable.

+1 Large scans are not better for overall grading.

8.0, maybe 8.5. Agree with posters about image size. When I reduced the size to normal comic book size, only a few spine ticks were noticeable.

And that would be why CGC uses a magnifier to review the comic book for grading purposes?

A large scan is great for grading, but you must compensate for the large size. That is why when I review a book that provides large scans I compare back and forth between the large and small scans for a better consensus of what I am seeing.

I get the feeling that more flaws and defects (be they imperceptible or not) are acceptable at lower grades say the 8.0 to 9.2 grades than at the higher grade tiers 9.4 to 10.0. It makes for an interesting review and conversation.

my grade was way off because the scans are too big

I like the books not to be too big but I can make them larger to look at specific things then go back to normal size to get a better look to the book overall

I may just stay away from grading books with scans too big and leave them for others (thumbs u

I was told earlier when asking for grades that my scans were too small...now they're too big?

I don't get it. What's the size I should be at?

Peace,

Chip

I think most want a smaller size (more 'to scale' so to speak) as an embedded image in the post, and then a larger version, that can be zoomed in on, that is linked to that embedded image.

I was told earlier when asking for grades that my scans were too small...now they're too big?

Peace,

Chip

I think most want a smaller size (more 'to scale' so to speak) as an embedded image in the post, and then a larger version, that can be zoomed in on, that is linked to that embedded image.

This is the best scenario. If you make the image smaller then increasing the size only distorts and makes the image cloudy and unclear. If you make the image too large you screw up the display of the post but you could download the image and make it smaller. If you do just as SquareChaos says above and provide links or embed links to larger scans then you have the best of both worlds and greater opportunity got consistent grading scores.

The recommended size of the scan within the thread is a maximum dimension of 850 x 1169 pixels of 100DPI resolution. I find this size fits the screen nicely and doesn't screw up the screen size. Link larger scans or embed links to larger scans usually 3060 x 4209 pixels of 600DPI the maximum size for large scans.

Peace,

Chip

This is the best scenario. If you make the image smaller then increasing the size only distorts and makes the image cloudy and unclear. If you make the image too large you screw up the display of the post but you could download the image and make it smaller. If you do just as SquareChaos says above and provide links or embed links to larger scans then you have the best of both worlds and greater opportunity got consistent grading scores.

The best scenario would be for you not to tell people “Larger images would be helpful” and that “You're likely to get a better number of responses to your post!” with larger scans.

Because we see that isn’t the case as Southern Cross says in a prior post, “I may just stay away from grading books with scans too big”.

As I have said before you are the one that likes the bigger scans and most people do not. You are in the minority. :makepoint:

PGM forum is not only for what you like. So quit telling fellow boardies about your falsities regarding larger scans.

It has run well for over a decade without you having to give it a new direction.

Peace,

Chip

Chip,

Make the scan as big as the book is in hand or as close as possible. As I have said in an above post, these big scans do not help your overall grading abilities, but hinder them.

Keep posting your books in the PGM.

ARK

And that would be why CGC uses a magnifier to review the comic book for grading purposes?

A large scan is great for grading, but you must compensate for the large size. That is why when I review a book that provides large scans I compare back and forth between the large and small scans for a better consensus of what I am seeing.

I get the feeling that more flaws and defects (be they imperceptible or not) are acceptable at lower grades say the 8.0 to 9.2 grades than at the higher grade tiers 9.4 to 10.0. It makes for an interesting review and conversation.

As I said months ago, when you started posting on PGM profusely that bigger scans are better.

You are in the minority! :gossip:

You are the one that likes big scans.

Most people do not like the scans in PGM to be too big.

hm Many of the better graders on the boards don’t like the bigger scans and have professed it during many grading contests.