• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what a joke these registry awards are

222 posts in this topic

I believe someone pointed out you are in the wrong year. Also a set only has to be unobscured at the registry award deadline.

The registry awards are a complete farse anyway so why even bother?

I had the difficulty of contributing to the "appreciation thread", yet keeping some original stuff for the Registry set's presentation for a possible win for down the road. I had so much fun bending the "rules" for my descriptions and obverse gallery shots, I was surprised I had such low-key judge comment. Nothing about how many mints were in one set (almost 40), the personal touches, etc. In the end, I felt like I didn't deserve it. Kind of impacted future Registry Sets. lol

I said this before, but collect for fun. It's all that matters. :)

If you are gonna work on a Registry Set presentation, pick away at it very lightly. Work on it, but not too hard. Don't make it a chore.

Can anyone show me where the criteria for competing in the awards is?

I understand that the best set in type is given to those with the most points but what determines who wins the best modern/silver/gold set award etc

I simply find it ridiculous that the best modern set award will be given to someone who has done nothing more than enter there reg codes this year?

lol

To list criteria is to open themselves to criticism Gaz. Will you buy me a beer when I'm in England? I really don't understand how my Y set didn't "beat" your Saga set Reed. I just don't see it. (shrug)

Two of the three Modern winners did not have any pics or descriptions.

I am proud of my set, and was very happy last Friday when I clicked on the link to see it was honored.

I agree that an argument of your Y set being more deserving than any of the three winners could be made, but I can also see reasons the winners were chosen.

If people want to say my set doesn't deserve the win, they are entitled to their opinion.

Like I said, I love my set, and am very happy it was selected.

That's all I can really say on the matter. I'm sure there were a ton of collectors who were disappointed their sets did not win.

I'm not sure if there has ever been back to back winners in the Modern Age, but I am going to do my best to take home the trophy again next year.

Here's to competition!

I realize this is going to seem like I'm picking on you. My apologies.

I guess I am the sucker for playing a game with no rules. I compared my Y set to your Saga because of the lack of pics and descriptions. CGC has commented before that they like to see pics and descriptions in their award winning sets.

Saga

34 books all 9.8+

19 Signature series

8 - 9.9's

Series 2 years old

No pics

No descriptions

YTLM

60 books all 9.8+

60 Signature Series - most multiple signature

4 - 9.9's

Series 12 years old

19 pics

1 Description

I'm not even saying my set should have won. I am not trying to diminish your set in any way. I am simply saying it does not add up.

I realize this is going to seem like I'm picking on you. My apologies.

I guess I am the sucker for playing a game with no rules. I compared my Y set to your Saga because of the lack of pics and descriptions. CGC has commented before that they like to see pics and descriptions in their award winning sets.

Saga

34 books all 9.8+

19 Signature series

8 - 9.9's

Series 2 years old

No pics

No descriptions

YTLM

60 books all 9.8+

60 Signature Series - most multiple signature

4 - 9.9's

Series 12 years old

19 pics

1 Description

I'm not even saying my set should have won. I am not trying to diminish your set in any way. I am simply saying it does not add up.

Completely agree, and I wasn't saying that Reed's set doesn't deserve commendation it does, it's a great set! (worship)

However, why was it picked over others that were comparable in grades, like Branget's, but had more books and were more complete with more descriptions and more images. I was under the impression that the winners would be chosen from those who not only had great books but also put an immense amount of effort into the presentation of their sets. Obviously I was Naive!!!

Again not comparing my set with yours simply because I think mine should have won or that yours shouldn't have but...

I'm honestly not trying saying my set should have won (I wasn't expecting too). I am also not trying to diminish your set in any way. I am simply agreeing with Jeff that it does not add up. :foryou:

That is true for best in sets.

Not sure about best in Ages, as like I stated previously, 2 of the 3 Modern Age winners do not have pics or descriptions.

And to be fair, it's not like Jeff's set is loaded down with images or descriptions either.

19 pics and 1 description out of 60 books.

Not sure about best in Ages, as like I stated previously, 2 of the 3 Modern Age winners do not have pics or descriptions.

And to be fair, it's not like Jeff's set is loaded down with images or descriptions either.

Ok, yeah you're probably right then. I was thinking you won Best Presentation. Well, if I didn't say congrats yet... Congrats. :)(I actually love Saga)

Now start working on your pics, descriptions and intro for next year's Best Presentation Award. :sumo:

That's the hard award to win for a Modern book, imho.

DSC04574Large.jpg

Ok, yeah you're probably right then. I was thinking you won Best Presentation. Well, if I didn't say congrats yet... Congrats. :)(I actually love Saga)

Now start working on your pics, descriptions and intro for next year's Best Presentation Award. :sumo:

DSC04574Large.jpg

Not best presented but, :whistle:

cgcregistryawards001.jpg

DSC04574Large.jpg

Not best presented but, :whistle:

cgcregistryawards001.jpg

Well, hello Mr. Fancy-Pants. lol

:applause:

But it's 60 books. :gossip: