• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what a joke these registry awards are

222 posts in this topic

I think my biggest gripe with the Registry points / awards is coming down to books that shouldn't be in a spot i.e. a variant with extraordinary amounts of points being eligible for a slot normally reserved for a lower non-variant one. Example would be the X-Men Fatal Attractions Set. There are two spots for the X-Men #25 book. One for the regular and one for the Gold cover. But others have the Gold cover showing up in both places which makes me think they are using previous labels to boost points. Thus there Signature Series label, and then there blue label which they "accidentally" left out of the bag when they sent it off.

Funny thing is that you ALL argued for pasty points upon Modern, Bronze and Copper books.

If you complained about little point differences, why not try to buy Golden Age books that will shoot the stars easily. That will lessen your bickering arguments and fighting over little points against each others.

Getting the Golden Age books will be your big gain in your Registry!

Funny thing is that you ALL argued for pasty points upon Modern, Bronze and Copper books.

If you complained about little point differences, why not try to buy Golden Age books that will shoot the stars easily. That will lessen your bickering arguments and fighting over little points against each others.

Not me!! Arguing silver points!!! It irks me when my 35 year old silver age book in 9.6 is only worth 40 or 50 more points than something bought off the shelf 3 months ago. That doesn't make sense. IMHO monetary value should play a significant role (maybe 50%) in reg. point assignment....but rarity and age should also fit in there somewhere. For example, a modern , silver and a golden book sell for $300 in the same grade (let's say 9.6). There are 400 GCG 9.6 copies of the modern on the census, 40 copies of the silver and 3 copies of the gold. Hypothetically the modern should receive the least points and the gold the most.

To put it in perspective...I have a CGC 9.8 Walking Dead 100 Chromium Ed. printed 7/2012 and I have a CGC 9.8 Sgt. Fury 167 printed 12/1981. Granted, we aren't exactly comparing apples to apples...but give me some leeway here. The Fury issue is a low print run book and the last issue of the Fury run. It is also a reprint of Sgt. Fury #1. (We won't get into the inflated value of the Walking Dead #1 reprints...that is for another thread... (thumbs u ) Walking Dead 100 is obviously the100th issue, the 1st appearance of Negan and Lucille and the death of Glen. Both are important issues, but not epic or key issues. The Walking Dead book has a value of about $75 to $100 or so and the Fury book around $100-150...maybe more in the right environment. The Fury book is 33 years old with only 4 on the census one in 9.8, one in 9.6, one in 9.4 and one in 4.5. The one in question is the highest graded copy. The Chromium Ed. census shows 4 copies in 9.9, 560 copies in 9.8, 51 copies in 9.6, 5 in 9.4 and 1 in 8.0 for a total of 621 copies. If you add qualified and SS copies, there are 856 graded copies. If you add all of the variant and regular print copies there are 5,461 graded copies. Then we will include second and third printings for a total of 5,575 graded copies of the same book with different covers. (Why moderns are worth a dime more than cover price, I will never know...but that is also for another thread! :devil: )

The Walking Dead book is worth 48 registry points with 560 copies in the same grade. Now, my Fury book is worth a whole 80 registry points even though there is only 1 copy in grade (and 4 total), it's worth almost twice as much, it's 33 years old and still a 9.8.

It's only worth 33 more reg. points? That make's no sense...

Rarity in the CGC census means nothing by itself, though - I could point to a whole slew of copper books that have 1 or less copies in the census and it doesn't mean they deserve to be worth a ton of Registry points.

Unless you're talking about GA, if a book has few copies in the census it's far more often a sign that nobody's interested in collecting that particular book (eg. it's not worth it to get it slabbed) than an indication that particular book is rare & desirable.

In your example above, I see no reason why the Sgt. Fury should have a significant points premium over the WD - 33 years old is nothing for a comic book.

Not me!! Arguing silver points!!! It irks me when my 35 year old silver age book in 9.6 is only worth 40 or 50 more points than something bought off the shelf 3 months ago. That doesn't make sense. IMHO monetary value should play a significant role (maybe 50%) in reg. point assignment....but rarity and age should also fit in there somewhere. For example, a modern , silver and a golden book sell for $300 in the same grade (let's say 9.6). There are 400 GCG 9.6 copies of the modern on the census, 40 copies of the silver and 3 copies of the gold. Hypothetically the modern should receive the least points and the gold the most.

To put it in perspective...I have a CGC 9.8 Walking Dead 100 Chromium Ed. printed 7/2012 and I have a CGC 9.8 Sgt. Fury 167 printed 12/1981. Granted, we aren't exactly comparing apples to apples...but give me some leeway here. The Fury issue is a low print run book and the last issue of the Fury run. It is also a reprint of Sgt. Fury #1. (We won't get into the inflated value of the Walking Dead #1 reprints...that is for another thread... (thumbs u ) Walking Dead 100 is obviously the100th issue, the 1st appearance of Negan and Lucille and the death of Glen. Both are important issues, but not epic or key issues. The Walking Dead book has a value of about $75 to $100 or so and the Fury book around $100-150...maybe more in the right environment. The Fury book is 33 years old with only 4 on the census one in 9.8, one in 9.6, one in 9.4 and one in 4.5. The one in question is the highest graded copy. The Chromium Ed. census shows 4 copies in 9.9, 560 copies in 9.8, 51 copies in 9.6, 5 in 9.4 and 1 in 8.0 for a total of 621 copies. If you add qualified and SS copies, there are 856 graded copies. If you add all of the variant and regular print copies there are 5,461 graded copies. Then we will include second and third printings for a total of 5,575 graded copies of the same book with different covers. (Why moderns are worth a dime more than cover price, I will never know...but that is also for another thread! :devil: )

The Walking Dead book is worth 48 registry points with 560 copies in the same grade. Now, my Fury book is worth a whole 80 registry points even though there is only 1 copy in grade (and 4 total), it's worth almost twice as much, it's 33 years old and still a 9.8.

If we only use your criteria then it would make no sense, you're right. Thankfully we do not use your criteria. To go by value would have a constantly changing registry landscape. Are you really suggesting that a long time collector 1st in a registry event is suddenly 4th because some randomn book got hot? The registry maintenance would never end.

If we only use your criteria then it would make no sense, you're right. Thankfully we do not use your criteria. To go by value would have a constantly changing registry landscape. Are you really suggesting that a long time collector 1st in a registry event is suddenly 4th because some randomn book got hot? The registry maintenance would never end.

Either you have difficulty reading or you just can't comprehend english. What I'm suggesting is that collectors of modern books would instantly lose points in their sets because their value in the registry is ONLY driven by monetary value which is artifically reaching unrealistic levels by being "hot". There are really very few rare modern books. And who's we? Do you represent CGC?

Additionally, why do you collect books? Do you pay all that cash on graded and signed books because they're pretty? Or is it because they're pretty AND worth some cash...some even say an investment. So yes, ideally the registry would revolve around value in some way... likely by the monetary value (what the book sells for) placed on them by collectors who want them (which can also be used as gauge for long term desirability and/or how "hot" book is) . The problem is that the registry, while a fun and interesting addition to collecting, is somewhat old school and cumbersome. It seems to take a lot of manpower and tons of time to manage it. With current technology, it should be much easier to maintain. We shouldn't need a "These scores need fixing" thread...the registry should use an algorithm and update those values based on GPA sales and whatever other recordable data (maybe census data) is available. Aren't the scores somewhat arbitrary even now? How could that be worse.