• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what a joke these registry awards are

222 posts in this topic

That is true for best in sets.

Not sure about best in Ages, as like I stated previously, 2 of the 3 Modern Age winners do not have pics or descriptions.

And to be fair, it's not like Jeff's set is loaded down with images or descriptions either.

19 pics and 1 description out of 60 books.

But it's 60 books. :gossip:

I have 296 books in my modern set. 295 of those are 9.8s. 11 are 9.9s. I have over a dozen signatures from that many different artists. The title is now 22 years old. I have a front and back scan of each slab along with a highly detailed description. Points-wise, my set is just a few hundred points behind the combined total of all three of this year's Modern Set winners.

I won the "best presentation" award last year; but I think the "best in age" award is heavily skewed towards completed sets, not works in progress.

I'm fine with not winning this year. I'd rather get the award when I've completed the Spawn set, which is a behemoth because it includes all of the mini-series and one-shots. One day I'll ask for a set that just covers the regular series.

Once again, I think it has a lot to do with completion. I don't think presentation gives you that big of a bump when it comes to competing for the best in age.

...and the Registry should be fun. Sometimes it's easy to take things a bit too seriously though.

I enjoyed everyone's sets this year and offer congratulations to the winners!

That is true for best in sets.

Not sure about best in Ages, as like I stated previously, 2 of the 3 Modern Age winners do not have pics or descriptions.

And to be fair, it's not like Jeff's set is loaded down with images or descriptions either.

19 pics and 1 description out of 60 books.

But it's 60 books. :gossip:

I have 296 books in my modern set. 295 of those are 9.8s. 11 are 9.9s. I have over a dozen signatures from that many different artists. The title is now 22 years old. I have a front and back scan of each slab along with a highly detailed description. Points-wise, my set is just a few hundred points behind the combined total of all three of this year's Modern Set winners.

I won the "best presentation" award last year; but I think the "best in age" award is heavily skewed towards completed sets, not works in progress.

I'm fine with not winning this year. I'd rather get the award when I've completed the Spawn set, which is a behemoth because it includes all of the mini-series and one-shots. One day I'll ask for a set that just covers the regular series.

Once again, I think it has a lot to do with completion. I don't think presentation gives you that big of a bump when it comes to competing for the best in age.

...and the Registry should be fun. Sometimes it's easy to take things a bit too seriously though.

I enjoyed everyone's sets this year and offer congratulations to the winners!

If you consider completion to be the deciding factor then my set is still complete. Yes, it is supposed to be fun. It is a competition and with no decisive rules it is frustrating. If you care about trying to win then it is unavoidable to be frustrated when you don't for reasons unknown.

Isn't part of the Spawn set copper age? :baiting:

It is very likely a business decision by CGC to promote titles being submitted. There is also a personal twist to everything CGC does. (thumbs u

Not too sure on the conspiracy theory.

The other two winners were Buffy Season 8, and Spidey 500-600.

Agreed.

...and Spawn started in 1992, which in my book means it's a modern...an early modern, but a modern. I'm pretty sure the CGC feels the same.

Branget, there is always next year. Good luck!

Overall - I feel the judges had some newfangled notions with their selections this go around.

Perhaps a new judge or judges?

New criteria?

No matter my take - awesome job to the winners.

Bragnet, I hear what your saying from the title of your thread through your posts, but I don't feel they are a farce, the awards are still competitively fun imho.

There are indeed some flaws in the Registry, some tweaks are needed and kinks apparent.

But at least we have a system - it keeps it lively and entertaining for 350 some days of the year.

If it makes you feel any better, I thought I had a chance with my Sugar and Spike set. I think the best presented category will most likely be the hardest one to win.

I wonder how much fatigue affects the selection. Since there are thousands of titles and multiple sets per title to choose from, the reviewers might just get tired of looking at sets and pick something that looks good. I would assume that CGC has some sort of filter they can use to sort sets by completeness, points, % scans and descriptions, but I could be assuming too much.

Think both Jeff and Eric make good points here. Ok so I suppose am at least a little biased but would echo Eric: I don't feel the Awards are a farce, they're still competitively fun imho.

Yes, competitively fun for the most part with a touch of frustration. I don't know how anyone could spend their time and not care about the result.

If it makes you feel any better, I thought I had a chance with my Sugar and Spike set. I think the best presented category will most likely be the hardest one to win.

I don't board much, but of was very surprised to get the best presentation award for my go-go set. Actually, I'm still surprised.

Silver, not only is your S&S set a beauty to behold, and at least as deserving of recognition - you deserve recognition as one of the truly kind and supportive people I've ever interacted with on the boards.

Think both Jeff and Eric make good points here. Ok so I suppose am at least a little biased but would echo Eric: I don't feel the Awards are a farce, they're still competitively fun imho.

Michael just wanted to say a huge congrats on your award.

In such a short amount of time you kicked some major arse compiling one helleva beautiful achievement!! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Yes, competitively fun for the most part with a touch of frustration. I don't know how anyone could spend their time and not care about the result.

I hear you.

I can't say I "feel you," because I have never tried to compile and work solely on a set in a diligent and industrious manner as a plausible candidate for an award. (Just my own competition my perfectionist and OCD self creates....for myself :insane: )

I think I have a couple neat and maybe unique sets, spent some hours uploading and writing some long winded Set Descriptions.

But, I don't "feel" I have any sets that are anything so special, so unique or just so dam purdy that separate me from the rest of the pack. Hence why for me it's easy to say they are fun, since I don't have any high hopes for squat. lol