• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philly WW Con Report (Brief)

126 posts in this topic

One guy walked around at Heroes today and counted booths who were primarily comic dealers, and there were over 50 different booths.

Yup. There were a LOT of comics in that room.

And I've been to Charlotte. It's nothing great so don't get all high and mighty about it. NY kicks its butt. :)

Isn't it just a matter of taste?

Both shows are terrific shows for some people. I've been to both shows as a buyer for years and have never had a disappointing show.

Charlotte does attract a LOT of creators / artists. Artist's alley is as large as the rest of the comic booth area.

People will just gravitate towards shows that work for them.

I wasn't referring to the conventions. I meant the actual cities.

One guy walked around at Heroes today and counted booths who were primarily comic dealers, and there were over 50 different booths.

There were probably more comics in the hall at Heroes than there were at all of the Wizard shows Wizard has scheduled for the year, with the exception of Chicago.

Other shows focus more on comics while Wizard focuses on celebrity and pop culture. They sell tickets based on popular talent rather than comic talent. It's obvious to anyone who takes the time to look over their guest list for any of their shows.

Bob smiles, Last time I saw him was at the Boston show last August. I haven't seen him in a few years since I'm not a big convention goer, but he did give me a big smile and handshake when he first saw me :)

He can be charming :D

Buyer's seem to forget the work and expense that goes into doing a major show, only to have someone come up to them with $5 in their hand and say "Do you have any Deadpool?"

And I've been to Charlotte. It's nothing great so don't get all high and mighty about it. NY kicks its butt. :)

That's a matter of opinion. Charlotte, New York, San Diego, Chicago... They all have their benefits and drawbacks.

:popcorn:

Are you a drawback or a benefit?

:baiting:

benevolent frostback? :shrug:

Bob smiles, Last time I saw him was at the Boston show last August. I haven't seen him in a few years since I'm not a big convention goer, but he did give me a big smile and handshake when he first saw me :)

He can be charming :D

Buyer's seem to forget the work and expense that goes into doing a major show, only to have someone come up to them with $5 in their hand and say "Do you have any Deadpool?"

Bob almost always makes me laugh my arse off, I love his sense of humor. And he's always patient as I paw through his pre-code horror boxes...I find his prices to be fair to start, and he usually gives me a small discount without my even asking. What more could I ask?

I wasn't referring to the conventions. I meant the actual cities.

Again a matter of taste. Charlotte is one of the cities at the top of our list for fun. It's small but it's right up there with Toronto, Chicago and NYC for us. All depends on what you like.

There were probably more comics in the hall at Heroes than there were at all of the Wizard shows Wizard has scheduled for the year, with the exception of Chicago.

Other shows focus more on comics while Wizard focuses on celebrity and pop culture. They sell tickets based on popular talent rather than comic talent. It's obvious to anyone who takes the time to look over their guest list for any of their shows.

I was thinking that Heroes is like Wizard World Chicago, minus a couple of bigtime East and West coast dealers and none of the media stuff. lol

I was thinking that Heroes is like Wizard World Chicago, minus a couple of bigtime East and West coast dealers and none of the media stuff. lol

This is right. Overall, there are more comics per square foot than any other show in the country. Not many swords here.

This is right. Overall, there are more comics per square foot than any other show in the country. Not many swords here.

I think Baltimore will be slightly better, over all. Mainly because it draws dealers from further areas including all the big guns from the East Coast. That show has been a killer 3 day show in a 2 day show's clothing for too long.

And from what I heard from Marc Nathan today, Overstreet / Geppi is calling an adviser's meeting after set up this year, so you'll probably see more old school and new school dealers and collectors in one place than you are likely to ever see again. :o

...I even have a great picture of him smiling...

This can't be real.

He and Moondog had their arms around each other...as a matter of fact, you were at that very show.

I posted it somewhere;) it's off my phone though.

The thought of this photo is making me nervous... lol

I think Baltimore will be slightly better, over all. Mainly because it draws dealers from further areas including all the big guns from the East Coast. That show has been a killer 3 day show in a 2 day show's clothing for too long.

And from what I heard from Marc Nathan today, Overstreet / Geppi is calling an adviser's meeting after set up this year, so you'll probably see more old school and new school dealers and collectors in one place than you are likely to ever see again. :o

The only thing is it won't have the smaller dealers and discount dealers like Heroes. No Leroy, no Earl, No Dave & Dave, etc. Etc.

Hey Taco! You make sure you're at Derek's Philly Show in July. I've got books for you to buy!! (thumbs u

Meckler (aka: ion comics)

I never miss it! And when I think I am going to miss it I find an excuse to stop by and spend money faster.