• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Buyers...What Do You Want From Sellers?

88 posts in this topic

eBay gives you 12 photos so use them all. They load quicker than they used to so that shouldn't big that big of a deal.

lol! So if I put up 500 books one week that's 6,000 scans/pictures I have to produce?

Sure...not that big of a deal, Chris. No thanks. ;)

Peace,

Chip

Very easy answer for me. ACCURATE DESCRIPTION sellers, instead of a few blanket words describing your item. In the last month I've received several books without the Marvel value stamp that were not noted in the item description, missing pages, tape cover pulls, coupons and water damage across many auctions. And then when I want to return the book for a full refund the seller starts in with the tired excuse of "I have too many auctions to check the interior of every book," so why don't you just keep the book for a reduced price. That's BS. List the item correctly and I won't even waste time or money bidding on your book.

Regardless of how many auctions you have correct representation of each item should be your primary concern. I latch on to sellers like that and continue to buy from them. Good packing helps too btw. :)

imho, if given an overstreet grade, nothing else is needed.

If I find an item I've been looking for, for far cheaper than current market value, then I pay no attention to things such as feedback, etc. I do a quick glance at the description and then click BIN. Haven't had a problem yet.

If it's not a one time deal like that,

1. Feedback over 95%. If it's lower than that, I look at at recent feedback. If there is any negative within the last few months, I will move on to the next seller.

2. Accurate description with a clear photo of the front and back cover along with any defects if there are any.

3. Shipping. Specify which service you will use and how you will be packaging it. Shipping within 4 days is fine with me.

4. PROVIDE TRACKING NUMBERS. If you don't use Paypals shipping service, put the tracking number in as soon as you get it. This just helps everyone and also provides a safety net for the seller. When I ship through the PO, I go on the ebay app the second I get to my car and put the tracking number in.

5. Price. Cheaper than the competition will get a buy from me if they meet the other conditions.

eBay gives you 12 photos so use them all. They load quicker than they used to so that shouldn't big that big of a deal.

lol! So if I put up 500 books one week that's 6,000 scans/pictures I have to produce?

Peace,

Chip

Im talkin decent money books at least $200 +

(Edit) anyhow the question is asking what I want :sumo: that's what I want.

I buy lower grade books, so I think the one thing I'd like sellers to do that many don't seem to, is at the very least, count the pages and check for cutouts.

I can't tell you how many times I have bought books that have a page missing or a coupon cut out that isn't mentioned. It's the first thing I check when I buy, should be something you check before sending it out.

What I want:

1. Accurate grading and/or very large scans so I can determine for myself. In return, I offer more than the inveterate lowballers, sometimes substantially more. I will pay a fair price for a fair item.

2. Safe packaging, so the item arrives to me in the exact same condition it left you.

Speed is no concern. If it takes 30 days to get the item, but it's precisely what I bought, and in exactly the same condition, kudos!

Feedback is of no concern.

Shipping price is of no concern, so long as the item shows up in the same condition, UNLESS it's gross (ie, charging me $12 and shipping in a manila envelope for $3.) I know how much it costs to do it right.

I have had thousands of shipments, including many absolutely heartbreaking situations, where books were gorgeous, and then destroyed because of packaging.

I had a beautiful FF #21 folded in half width-wise into my mailbox. The seller couldn't be bothered to ship a $200+ book properly. it WAS a F/VF. Afterwards, it was a VG.

This posting sums up my expectations of a seller. Like you, I've had my share of disappointments. Last year, I sent back a Star Wars 3 35 cent edition because the package (an envelope) was folded in half. I wouldn't even consider opening the package because I knew what condition it was originally in and there was no way it was in that condition from the looks of the package. Talk about a disappointment. I just put the book in a bigger envelope and sent it back.

Very easy answer for me. ACCURATE DESCRIPTION sellers, instead of a few blanket words describing your item. In the last month I've received several books without the Marvel value stamp that were not noted in the item description, missing pages, tape cover pulls, coupons and water damage across many auctions. And then when I want to return the book for a full refund the seller starts in with the tired excuse of "I have too many auctions to check the interior of every book," so why don't you just keep the book for a reduced price. That's BS. List the item correctly and I won't even waste time or money bidding on your book.

Regardless of how many auctions you have correct representation of each item should be your primary concern. I latch on to sellers like that and continue to buy from them. Good packing helps too btw. :)

Yes, except how many listing say "Fantastic Four 12 NM" and then go on to say: "I am not a grader", "look at the [crappy] picture to determine the grade", "vg-nm", etc. I wouldn't buy based on the letter N-M alone. I don't even think some seller know what those letter mean, but just throw them into their auction because everyone else does. lol

Peace,

Chip

12 is extreme, but if it is a high value raw book, I do expect more than a front/back scan. If it's a low dollar item, a front/back scan is plenty.

There's only four things I look for

1) Sellers feedback rating- If they are under 30 I usually pass unless its an inexpensive item.

2) Shipping Cost- I usually go for priority shipping. 10 or twelve bucks for a 35 dollar book is too much for me. Expensive books I will pay more for insurance and signature confirmation.

3) Accurate grading. It can be hard to find accurately graded (I collect fine/VF)silver age and bronze age books on eBay. I would guess about 60% of auctions I look at are over graded books.

4) Actual photo's of the book(s). Two or three pictures is fine. At least show the front and back.

As far as shipping time I usually give the seller one week to send off the books. If you can't send it within the first week it should be stated in the auction.

Yes, except how many listing say "Fantastic Four 12 NM" and then go on to say: "I am not a grader", "look at the [crappy] picture to determine the grade", "vg-nm", etc. I wouldn't buy based on the letter N-M alone. I don't even think some seller know what those letter mean, but just throw them into their auction because everyone else does. lol

True, but you shouldnt be buying an ff 12 NM raw online either. Any high dollar raw, should be bought in person.

One thing that annoys me and i have done it myself when selling Take the book out of the bag to scan it please. If you are asking NM price i would like to see the book up close and judge for myself. Dont put your marketing card over the pic of the comic i have seen that a couple times. And let me know a shipping time frame like you only ship once a week

Great topic. I'm taking notes. I'll be trying some of the suggestions on here.

Though some are impractical for me. 12 photos is pretty ridiculous unless it is a high value item.

If I'm selling an item for $25 or less and offer free shipping which I eat 50% of the cost, then subtract another $3 for fees I'm lucky if I'm making $5 on the sale where it takes me half an hour to take 12 photos and post with another 15 min on the grade assessment and description. That's just not worth my time. My time is worth way way way more than that and I don't need the money that badly. I just need the comic slightly less than that and while I could just hoard the issues I sometimes feel I'm actually providing a public service by even taking the time to list them for sale if takes that long. My lord just the time spent securely packaging the $25 comic costs me productivity and money but I treat every comic cheap or high value as I would expect it to be treated and packed if I were buying it.

If I can't list it in less than 5 min then I'm already just wasting my time. So only for high dollar items or high margin items will I put forward that type of effort. I've got a bunch of $10 or less issues I will begin listing in runs or bundles to make it worth both the buyer and sellers time.

It's one of the reasons I don't sell on here. I hate using photobucket and then managing the listing ugh! who that works 70hrs a week has time for that!

Front & back cover, interior front and back cover, and centerfold. 5 pics will suffice. Offer a 14 day money back guarantee. Offer free shipping and use more cardboard on the more valuable raw books you sell. Buy whole collections and try to annuitize the income. Use the mobile app and offer a reasonable grade in your description, not best case scenario. Disclose any glue, color touch or trimming. Use top seller status and PayPal volume discounts to get total fees below 10%. Ship first class and print your own labels. Never buy comics on credit, but don't hesitate to parlay your profits. If you submit books for grading wait until you have at least 15 and do the value fast track to save time and money. Buy shipping supplies by the bulk, especially cardboard, tape, bubble wrap and packing peanuts. Try to buy and sell as much as possible through PayPal and do monthly bookkeeping for tax purposes. Invest in a dry mount press ($500-$800 for a used Seal M210) and hone your technique on $1-$2 books for at least a month before you try it on anything >$50. Lastly, never tell people you do this as a public service. Do it because comics f'ing rock!!!!

Accurate grading.

Bought a book advertised as a 9.4. Book looked decent enough from the "one" image in the listing, so I took a chance on it. Got the book, no way even close to a 9.4. Seven minor spine ticks and 4" and 1" light creases on the back cover, several minor finger dents. The seller agreed to a partial refund. I send the book off to be graded anyway just to make a point that it wasn't 9.4 quality. My estimate was 8.5, maybe 9.0 tops. I got the book back the other day and guess what...... 8.5, even after being pressed.

I'm a little shaky when it comes to photography, especially with all the glare on slabbed books. I rely heavily on my iPhone 5. I try to take a couple shots of the front cover from different angles and one of the label to exhibit cert # and page quality. Unless requested I usually pass on the back cover.

Unless its a copper or modern I typically don't buy anything raw on ebay graded above 8.5. More often than not you'll be disappointed. Save those buys for the shops and shows. The difference between an 8.5 and a 9.4 can be just a couple minor flaws easily missed in a single photo.