• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 1 in next Heritage sale with new CGC resto label

146 posts in this topic

With the resto being so recent (given the techniques used) its almost like the owner fixed it up to sell it. Wonder if that was the right choice. Will be interesting to see how it does.

Those page edges look pretty dark for cream to off-white.
it's page "quality", not "color" :baiting:

Yet the descriptors aren't "exceptional to astounding pages" are they? :baiting:

Exactly. If it isn't about color, why use a color scale to describe them?

With the resto being so recent (given the techniques used) its almost like the owner fixed it up to sell it. Wonder if that was the right choice. Will be interesting to see how it does.

This book was previously restored, somewhat poorly.

Otherwise it would have been left alone.

Leafcasting - I know what it is, but is that replacing the "pieces added" description from this day on and forevermore?

I think there should be a map on the back outlining where the work was done.

Standard piece fill will be noted as it always was. Leaf Casting is just another word added to help convey what was done to the book.

And if you place the Scepter in the right spot on the floor, at high noon. It will reveal a map of where the casting filled in.

CGC explains their new label system here: LINK

To summarize...

Quality of restoration — replacing “Amateur” and “Professional” designations.

A = best similar to “professional”

B = middle

C = worst similar to “amateur”

Quantity of restoration — expanding upon the old “Slight”, “Moderate” and “Extensive” designations.

1 = slight

2 = slight/moderate

3 = moderate

4 = moderate/extensive

5 = extensive

Best restoration grade: A-1

Worst restoration grade: C-5

In this case, the Action #1 received the best grade possible for quality of restoration "A", with the quantity of restoration "moderate/extensive" earning a "4." Thus, the overall restoration grade of an "A-4."

Its only on CT the Action #1 falls into Mod/Ext. On most of the other repairs it falls under Mod.

So why is this book not rather a 'Mod' than a 'Mod/Ext' ?

Ext amount of piece fill (leaf casting)?

Nope:

Piece fill cover (leafcasting fill) Right Bottom Front Cover A-1

Piece fill cover (leafcasting fill) Spine A-1

Piece fill interior (leafcasting fill) A-1

Isn't the degree of restoration indicated on the label the worst degree assigned to an individual type of work? So as the exterior CT received an A-4 and that is the lowest the degree on the label is A-4.

Yes (thumbs u

Here's the full CGC explanation: http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4030&

Specifically, regarding the overall restoration grade....

"Every type of restoration found on each book will be individually graded for quantity and quality, with a cumulative score determining the final restoration grade assigned. For instance, if the Amazing Spider-Man #1 exhibits a cover cleaning, tear seals, piece fill and color touch, CGC will assign a quality and quantity grade to each: cover cleaning, A-1; tear seals, A-1; piece fill, B-3;, color touch, B-2. The cumulative grade will be determined by the highest letter and number assigned to each technique applied. In this particular case, the highest letter and number assigned is B-3, which would become the overall restoration grade of the Amazing Spider-Man #1."

I guess the logic here is that the comic book's overall restoration is no better than it's most extensive and amateur type of restoration.

Here's my thinking on how to "game" that system. Say a book has A-2 color touch but nothing else is done to it and it grades a 7.5 A-2. Couldn't someone then add pieces, reinforce the spine, etc? As long as that work was no more severe than A-2 on any restoration type, the book would still receive the same overall restoration grade of A-2 but likely the book grade would be higher (e.g., 9.0). Correct?

Granted, the book would receive additional grades for the restoration work on the spine and pieces added whereas before there would be none.

Yes it will be gamed as you describe I guess.

And Yes the book would receive additional notes for the added work, *but you would need to pay CGC to get these grader notes*

CGC explains their new label system here: LINK

To summarize...

Quality of restoration — replacing “Amateur” and “Professional” designations.

A = best similar to “professional”

B = middle

C = worst similar to “amateur”

Quantity of restoration — expanding upon the old “Slight”, “Moderate” and “Extensive” designations.

1 = slight

2 = slight/moderate

3 = moderate

4 = moderate/extensive

5 = extensive

Best restoration grade: A-1

Worst restoration grade: C-5

In this case, the Action #1 received the best grade possible for quality of restoration "A", with the quantity of restoration "moderate/extensive" earning a "4." Thus, the overall restoration grade of an "A-4."

Its only on CT the Action #1 falls into Mod/Ext. On most of the other repairs it falls under Mod.

So why is this book not rather a 'Mod' than a 'Mod/Ext' ?

Ext amount of piece fill (leaf casting)?

Nope:

Piece fill cover (leafcasting fill) Right Bottom Front Cover A-1

Piece fill cover (leafcasting fill) Spine A-1

Piece fill interior (leafcasting fill) A-1

right, but 1+1+1=3...if linear (all resto weighted the same), then that is at least "mod" amount for piece fill...add that up with the other resto, and cumulatively, mod/ext (shrug)

OK numerical values are added as long as they appear under the same resto-category. I see ...

Yet the descriptors aren't "exceptional to astounding pages" are they? :baiting:

page quality grades are needed. Paper can be darkening but still be supple. I've seen books given cr/ow but after cracking there is tanning but still supple.

Slightly brittle and brittle aren't colors lol . I think colors are used for "quality" to continue with the the long term past use (remember the owl card?) and to convey a relative scale without having to reinvent terms and scales (supple/flexible/rigid/brittle etc)

Slightly brittle and brittle aren't colors lol . I think colors are used for "quality" to continue with the the long term past use (remember the owl card?) and to convey a relative scale without having to reinvent terms and scales (supple/flexible/rigid/brittle etc)

Well, yes, but brittle and slightly brittle are the only two designations that are not colors. To heck with tradition, I'd rather move to descriptors that actually describe the page quality.

Well, yes, but brittle and slightly brittle are the only two designations that are not colors. To heck with tradition, I'd rather move to descriptors that actually describe the page quality.

Not sure I follow this discussion. Apart from brittle, the pq designations are supposed to represent colors, no? I think they are built off the old OWL cards.

Colors generally coincide with page quality. When we think "white" pages we think "fresh and supple". Yet I've seen visually white pages that are dried out and brittle.

This is the system cgc has adopted and perpetuated.

Current comics sometimes contain no white at all, yet are cgc designates "white" to represent the nicest condition.

Paper is naturally brown and yucky looking. It is bleached to give it a white color

I would prefer more info. Like quality / color

ie. supple/ white

Flexible/ cr to ow

Slightly brittle/ dark tan to ow

Etc

Colors generally coincide with page quality. When we think "white" pages we think "fresh and supple". Yet I've seen visually white pages that are dried out and brittle.

Current comics sometimes contain no white at all, yet are cgc designates "white" to represent the nicest condition.

Paper is naturally brown and yucky looking. It is bleached to give it a white color

ie. supple/ white

Flexible/ cr to ow

Etc

This makes me think that developing an adequate grading system for funny books will be an everlasting Sisyphos task ... :(

ie. supple/ white

Flexible/ cr to ow

Etc

Exactly. (thumbs u

No. This book has never been graded before. It's been in a collection in Australia since the 1970's.

I can confirm this and also advise that the owner had no idea the book had undergone any work.

ouch

No. This book has never been graded before. It's been in a collection in Australia since the 1970's.

I can confirm this and also advise that the owner had no idea the book had undergone any work.

They were doing leaf-casting restoration in the 70s? ???

Yes, this is puzzling.

I was told (not by the owner) that the book had been graded an 8.0 with colour touch. No mention of any other restoration.

This was also when I was also apprised of the owner's surprise.

Leafcasting? It had to have happened after he bought the book, as noted, in the 70's.

hm

Doesn't matter much now. All "sins" have been revealed by the grading process and the value will be determined by the market.