• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago -- August 20-23, 2015

273 posts in this topic

Was overloaded from comics and crowds :pullhair: on Sunday. Sat in on a 45 min. seminar on history of comic fandom in Chicago. 6 panel members including Geo Hagenaur (comic and original art historian/vendor), Maggie Thompson (CBG, Diamond Online), and Mike Gold (editor of First Comics and Warp Comics). Interesting slide show about buying back issues when these current seniors were 10 years old from 3 Chicago area mag shops that stocked some back issues in the low rent slum area, visiting Rick Hauser's basement, etc. Seems like Chicago ran their 1st comicon in 1963: 1 year before NYC. If I heard them correctly, that was a 50 table con of which 2 tables did not have legs run out of the local YMCA. Later on, Joe Sarno took over organizing the comicon.

Only 15 ppl in the crowd including comic historian Michelle Nolan. No time for questions and answers at the end.

That was a fascinating panel. I was in the front row with the red t-shirt

I sat right behind you. Meeting Maggie afterwards was one of the show highlights for me.

One of my favorite parts of the panel is when they showed the Colossus Comics, and she said "Don and I had that." :)

It was a great show as usual. Saw a lot of old friends (and some new ones) and made some money.

It was interesting though - sales to dealers were strong on Weds. Thursday was strong from start to finish. Friday was hot until around lunch time, then BOOM, the "civilians" came in and sales just stopped. Sat was terrible too. Sunday was much better as buyers on the fence stepped up.

Anyone else see this pattern?

It was a great show as usual. Saw a lot of old friends (and some new ones) and made some money.

It was interesting though - sales to dealers were strong on Weds. Thursday was strong from start to finish. Friday was hot until around lunch time, then BOOM, the "civilians" came in and sales just stopped. Sat was terrible too. Sunday was much better as buyers on the fence stepped up.

As far as what I experienced, I ran out of real money to spend around noon on Friday. The same was pretty much true of the collectors and dealers I was travelling with. Wednesday during setup reminded me of the Oklahoma land rush there were so many good deals to be had.

As far as what I experienced, I ran out of real money to spend around noon on Friday. The same was pretty much true of the collectors and dealers I was travelling with. Wednesday during setup reminded me of the Oklahoma land rush there were so many good deals to be had.

Everyone seems to say that the deals were huge at this Con but this doesn't seem feasible seeing as this Con is definitely not cheap to set up at. Was there a bunch of new blood dealers in the house that didn't know what they had or were the veteran dealers blowing out quality inventory for cheap. The second option doesn't sound very promising especially since there still are a couple big shows left.

Everyone seems to say that the deals were huge at this Con but this doesn't seem feasible seeing as this Con is definitely not cheap to set up at. Was there a bunch of new blood dealers in the house that didn't know what they had or were the veteran dealers blowing out quality inventory for cheap. The second option doesn't sound very promising especially since there still are a couple big shows left.

The deals were just rediculous. I arrived 7 am on wednesday and we spent the first 2-3 hours doing setup and the next 5 hours shopping. Was like a free for all at tables that opened lol. A local i know who set up made $7k 4 hours into set-up on wed.

Wed. dealer set up was a buying frenzy for sure by the afternoon. My buddy dropped at least $3k that Wed. alone. Works out to $4k Canadian funds which is quite a bit of loot considering he does NOT (shrug) buy Marvel or DC.

There were still good deals to be had by Sat. afternoon if one had patience to dig thru long boxes and smaller vendor booths of SA and original art. Sunday afternoon, Carbonaro dropped prices of most of his stacks of 1970s-80s movie press kits from $10 down to $5 wholesale including Battlestar Galactica. Bent copies of Marvel Comics Super Special mag #16(?) Empire Strikes back down to $15 (1st Boba Fett) hot. (thumbs u

Darn, should've went. Hopefully next year. Any key GA books that you guys saw that are not in any of the upcoming auctions? Wondering if there were any Pre-Robin Tecs and early Superman Actions available.

I saw a Tec 33 cgc 1.8 for sale by Comic Heaven for $19,500

Also saw a cgc 9.0 restored Special Edition Comics 1 for sale for $4,000. That one apparently sold during the weekend.

Best WW I've been to in 3 years.

Chicago never disappoints. My budget was gone three hours before Thursday opening to the public this year, and last year I was tapped before the show officially opened as well. There is never a shortage of stuff to buy here.

Best WW I've been to in 3 years.

Chicago never disappoints. My budget was gone three hours before Thursday opening to the public this year, and last year I was tapped before the show officially opened as well. There is never a shortage of stuff to buy here.

It was almost as good as C2E2 :insane:

Darn, should've went. Hopefully next year. Any key GA books that you guys saw that are not in any of the upcoming auctions? Wondering if there were any Pre-Robin Tecs and early Superman Actions available.

I saw a Tec 33 cgc 1.8 for sale by Comic Heaven for $19,500

Also saw a cgc 9.0 restored Special Edition Comics 1 for sale for $4,000. That one apparently sold during the weekend.

Thanks Red! Dang Tec 33 1.8 for $19k :o These pre-robin's are getting pricier and pricier each time.

Made the trip down to the show from Toronto. Was impressed by the offering of high-end material that rarely makes its way up north. And the nice wide isles. Never felt too cramped like I always do at Fan Expo.

Disappointed that CGC cut off on-site grading about 30 mins into the day on Thursday. I'm guessing a lot of dealers submitted books on the Wednesday? A little unfair to us little guys. Would have loved to get in there on Wednesday like some others on the Boards seemed to swing. I'll have to try to get a dealers pass next time. How much wheeling and dealing is done on set-up day?

Alex