• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago -- August 20-23, 2015

273 posts in this topic

Wizard world is bs.

Pay $300 for a vip ticket to get Burt Reynolds or no Burt Reynolds. Using computers and buying your tickets online before the con is the matrix. Wizard world is the matrix.

Byeeee

How was the $8 chilli?

Did Burt cancel at the last second or something?

I guess the upside of attending a show to, you know, actually shop for comics is that I am almost completely unconcerned with the guest list. I'm absolutely unconcerned with the celeb side.

Wizard world is bs.

Pay $300 for a vip ticket to get Burt Reynolds or no Burt Reynolds. Using computers and buying your tickets online before the con is the matrix. Wizard world is the matrix.

Byeeee

How was the $8 chilli?

Ended up being $2.50 lol

Did Burt cancel at the last second or something?

I guess the upside of attending a show to, you know, actually shop for comics is that I am almost completely unconcerned with the guest list. I'm absolutely unconcerned with the celeb side.

His autograph was sold out when I showed up. On Friday morning.

The Constantine actor cancelled also and some ladies had prepaid for VIP passes :tonofbricks: to get his signature.

Had to stop buying as my carry on luggage and knapsack was full to the top by Sat. at 3 pm after lunch time.

Good quality 70s, 80s, 90s back issues dropped from $2 down to $1. 10 long boxes of 25c comics at one vendor. 20 longs of 50c comics next door to him.

Metro had some new Tom Grindberg Tarzan Sunday original art on consignment from the artist retailing for about $1,500 each. No drizzle or rain in Chicago at all this weekend. <3

The Constantine actor cancelled also and some ladies had prepaid for VIP passes :tonofbricks: to get his signature.

Had to stop buying as my carry on luggage and knapsack was full to the top by Sat. at 3 pm after lunch time.

Good quality 70s, 80s, 90s back issues dropped from $2 down to $1. 10 long boxes of 25c comics at one vendor. 20 longs of 50c comics next door to him.

Metro had some new Tom Grindberg Tarzan Sunday original art on consignment from the artist retailing for about $1,500 each. No drizzle or rain in Chicago at all this weekend. <3

Tom Grindberg :cloud9: ..... when I was a young 20 something he showed me the trick of emptying half a can of Pepsi and refilling it with Jack ...... made a show more interesting lol GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Get buzzed somewhere else. There was some guy selling next to me last week at a toy show who was drinking all day. By the end of the day, I had a headache and wanted to punch him out.

Sounds like you could have used a drink :baiting:

At the airport. Bad weather is causing all kinds of inbound delays...which leads to major outbound issues. Oh well, all in a day's work.

Was worried about that. Clearing TSA took 45 minutes, and that was at 6am. Saw the bad weather moving in and figured it was going to impact things. Thankfully, i was able to leave O'Hare without sitting on the tarmac for an hour for the first time ever. Guess leaving early is the way to go...

On a happy note, my bag apparently wasnt made to hold nearly 70 lbs of books and clothes. The zipper burst and one of the wheels disintegrated under the weight. Luckily, i had an extra roll of shipping tape that i was able to wrap the bag with and reinforce it. The thing ended up looking like something even Fred Sanford would leave on the side of the road. Then there was the $125 fee for the heavy checked item. Oi vay! Like Joe said, all in a day's work for the comic entrepraneur.

At the airport. Bad weather is causing all kinds of inbound delays...which leads to major outbound issues. Oh well, all in a day's work.

Was worried about that. Clearing TSA took 45 minutes, and that was at 6am. Saw the bad weather moving in and figured it was going to impact things. Thankfully, i was able to leave O'Hare without sitting on the tarmac for an hour for the first time ever. Guess leaving early is the way to go...

On a happy note, my bag apparently wasnt made to hold nearly 70 lbs of books and clothes. The zipper burst and one of the wheels disintegrated under the weight. Luckily, i had an extra roll of shipping tape that i was able to wrap the bag with and reinforce it. The thing ended up looking like something even Fred Sanford would leave on the side of the road. Then there was the $125 fee for the heavy checked item. Oi vay! Like Joe said, all in a day's work for the comic entrepraneur.

Broken luggage eh? Need to take a picture. Glad no books spilt out.

On a side note I found what I had lost. Saved myself a world of pain.

Was overloaded from comics and crowds :pullhair: on Sunday. Sat in on a 45 min. seminar on history of comic fandom in Chicago. 6 panel members including Geo Hagenaur (comic and original art historian/vendor), Maggie Thompson (CBG, Diamond Online), and Mike Gold (editor of First Comics and Warp Comics). Interesting slide show about buying back issues when these current seniors were 10 years old from 3 Chicago area mag shops that stocked some back issues in the low rent slum area, visiting Rick Hauser's basement, etc. Seems like Chicago ran their 1st comicon in 1963: 1 year before NYC. If I heard them correctly, that was a 50 table con of which 2 tables did not have legs run out of the local YMCA. Later on, Joe Sarno took over organizing the comicon.

Only 15 ppl in the crowd including comic historian Michelle Nolan. No time for questions and answers at the end.

Fun show!! Weirdest non-comic item for sale was the guy set up a bit down from Harley who was selling taxidermied fetal kittens laid out on cotton, pigs in jars, etc. I think he said a tattooed dog was stolen or something like that

On a side note, this show had an abnormally high number of young women under 30 who are actually looking at comics to purchase, and not just cosplaying. Very high rate of female attendance overall, which I think is an excellent sign for the hobby's future. The entire atmosphere of the Con was very positive and female-friendly; I didn't see a single booth with openly explicit material that would normally sour women and families from attending...kudos to the promoters for keeping it clean and fun for everyone.

I had a lot of 18-40 year old women as customers at Tampa Con. Many were in cosplay but a lot were not. All were spending money and a few were even getting some pricier books instead of the discount boxes.

My buddy had a 49 pound luggage full of comic hard covers and did not have to pay an overweight luggage fee. Just the $19 for check in luggage. 2c

Artist alley was spacious and not jammed. Had no problems with the vast variety of independent artists, inkers, painters that showed up headlined by Neal Adams, Art Adams, Stuart Saygur, Mike Golden :golfclap: , Joyce Chin, Simon Bisley, Tim Vigil, Image inker, etc.

Glad Wizard made public announcements every hour for what panels were starting or which media guest was signing in which ballroom or sideroom, as too easy to lose track of time digging through long boxes. :luhv: