• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Random Act of Kindness Charity Thread - CLOSED / THANK YOU ALL!

270 posts in this topic

I won't see her reaction because these will ship anonymously ;)

They will be registered and have a return address for an out of state friend with a different made up charity name.

How will you confirm she gets it? Would just be a shame if something went wrong and it didn't get to her after all the effort put in by everyone. I'd be a bit paranoid about sending that many gift cards in the mail when I could just hand it to her in person.

I won't see her reaction because these will ship anonymously ;)

They will be registered and have a return address for an out of state friend with a different made up charity name.

How will you confirm she gets it? Would just be a shame if something went wrong and it didn't get to her after all the effort put in by everyone. I'd be a bit paranoid about sending that many gift cards in the mail when I could just hand it to her in person.

Registered / Insured / Tracking / A valid return address for an out of state friend

For registered mail SHE has to be the one that signs for it - this is no different from sending a high valued comic in the mail.

Look, several of you have express concerns over sending this package anonymously. I understand your concerns. However, I cannot give them to her myself for several reasons. Namely, what if 50 other students say, "What about me? He should have just gave each of us a $50 gift card instead." In this "me centered world" I can see it happening. It doesn't have to be 50... it could be two or three making a fuss about it.

This is a good thing we have done, but I don't want to create a problem or unintended negative feelings from anyone else at the institution. That's why I want no ties to this initiative.

Make sense? (shrug)

Here is an expansion of the previous post I had in the "Charity PM Group"

Appreciate the concerns, but I want to remain anonymous for several reasons. Namely, what if 50 other student come forward with a sad story and they wonder why no one helped them the same way. Well...

(1) I can't help everyone

(2) I'm not aware of everyones struggles

The choices we have are to do what we can for the people right in front of us and hope the "pay it forward" / karma movement spreads to others.

I think it does and I'll tell you why. When I received the donations, many of the contributors included notes like:

"I know what it's like to have no heat and be eating ramen noodles."

"I have struggled in life financially."

"I'm a teacher and know it's hard out there."

This is a copy of the letter I'm sending her with the identifiable information removed.

14378355597_423bb0e42e_z.jpg

I know we all would like to be there and have a "Publishers Clearing House" moment on the doorstep. But, the real miracles don't happen when the camera is running. They happen when everyday people come together to do something like this.

Ryan, I am an educator as well. I understand your concerns about remaining anonymous. It's the right thing to do. Thanks again for your initiative!

I'm blown away by the amount we raised! Hopefully this gesture will give her some small hope for humanity after being wronged by those she loved the most.

Ryan, I am an educator as well. I understand your concerns about remaining anonymous. It's the right thing to do. Thanks again for your initiative!

I'm a part-time teacher, and I'll third that for the same reasons. As long as she gets it, I'm totally fine with it being anonymous. It's a little cooler that way.