• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enormous ! How big will it get ?
3 3

4,716 posts in this topic

So I decided to stop waiting and go ahead and read what I had. I picked up the oversize at my store for a decent price. It has some spine stresses around the top staple, but otherwise looks alright.

I didn't like the story a lot. It was hard to follow at times. It jumped around in time and the pacing felt odd. The dialogue was also short and choppy. Sometimes it just felt emotionless and just didn't have the flow a book needs.

The art was great, for the most part. It seemed to depict the world well and worked well with the mood of the story. There were a few times where the action was unclear, but I can deal with that.

Reading it in the big layout was great though.

The actual first issue was odd. The timing of it with the oversize was off a bit and I'm guessing the oversize is just a one off story.

The writing has been cleaned up in the subsequent time. The story jumps were a lot smoother and clearly it had been polished since the oversized book.

Having read the oversized, some of this was a bit confusing. It was like they were going back and forth in time and filling in some holes and flushing things out. It worked, except I didn't really get the whole thing with her mother. It was like they were running down the hallway then separated, but then her mother was on the fire escape or something. It seemed odd.

The artwork was also improved and polished. It just seemed cleaner and the confusing layouts from the oversized books weren't there.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd pick up a second issue of this if I saw it on the rack. The fact that I need to go out of my way to find it- back to my original point- makes me less likely to pick it up.

On the positive, I thought the story elements are intriguing. The premise showed some promise and I'd be curious to see how it developed. I liked that the first issue slowed down and focused on the main character a bit more. I could see them turning it in to a decent book over 6 issues or so.

We seem to share similar taste, but East of West just didn't do it for me. I pulled it for like 7 or 8 issues and loved it at first. The idea of a futuristic western seemed great, but Hickman took it in a different direction. I just don't think I'm a Hickman fan, to be honest. I dropped his FF run and I'd been pullin the title for like 10 years at the time. There is just something about the way he tells a story. It just doesn't work, for me.

I almost dropped it around there... it has really picked up since then in my opinion. It has been flirting with greatness.

Still not better than Manhattan Projects though :preach:

We seem to share similar taste, but East of West just didn't do it for me. I pulled it for like 7 or 8 issues and loved it at first. The idea of a futuristic western seemed great, but Hickman took it in a different direction. I just don't think I'm a Hickman fan, to be honest. I dropped his FF run and I'd been pullin the title for like 10 years at the time. There is just something about the way he tells a story. It just doesn't work, for me.

I almost dropped it around there... it has really picked up since then in my opinion. It has been flirting with greatness.

I'm definitely needing to read MP. It's on my to do list. :D

Nice deluxe edition hardcover coming out in October - first ten issues.

Nice deluxe edition hardcover coming out in October - first ten issues.

I do love hardcovers. Emezy got me a signed and sketched EOW HC last year. It is a prized possession in my collection.

I didn't like the story a lot. It was hard to follow at times. It jumped around in time and the pacing felt odd. The dialogue was also short and choppy. Sometimes it just felt emotionless and just didn't have the flow a book needs. The art was great, for the most part.

Reading the One Shot is like flipping through my high school pictures - it's all bad hair, acne and braces...it's of a very specific time for me as a writer which was the first time. Thanks for reading it though.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd pick up a second issue of this if I saw it on the rack.

On the positive, I thought the story elements are intriguing. The premise showed some promise and I'd be curious to see how it developed. I liked that the first issue slowed down and focused on the main character a bit more. I could see them turning it in to a decent book over 6 issues or so.

We get better. I promise you that and I would venture to say that issues #6-#8 are going to introduce some very interesting long-term players and elements to the story. If you want #2-#4, send me a DM and I'll send you the PDFs.

Not even Hickman can top that kind of service ;)

I didn't like the story a lot. It was hard to follow at times. It jumped around in time and the pacing felt odd. The dialogue was also short and choppy. Sometimes it just felt emotionless and just didn't have the flow a book needs. The art was great, for the most part.

Reading the One Shot is like flipping through my high school pictures - it's all bad hair, acne and braces...it's of a very specific time for me as a writer which was the first time. Thanks for reading it though.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd pick up a second issue of this if I saw it on the rack.

We get better. I promise you that and I would venture to say that issues #6-#8 are going to introduce some very interesting long-term players and elements to the story. If you want #2-#4, send me a DM and I'll send you the PDFs.

Not even Hickman can top that kind of service ;)

I appreciate the response and I felt the first issue was a lot more polished.

Either way, you have a book being published and that is a huge accomplishment. I'd really like to support you and your book and would gladly pay for actual issues.

I whole heartily appreciate the offer and if I really can't find it, I'll hit you up. My hope is they magically appear at my store or I grab second prints.

I'd also add, there is something about reading a hard comic. I enjoy reading books on the computer, but I just love having the book in hand. The minute I pick up a comic, it is like the world rushes away for that 10, 15, or 30 minutes of reading. When I look at a computer screen, it doesn't have that same feel. One of my fellow posters got me to join the Marvel online subscription and I just could't do it. I read a few books, but the magic just isn't there when I read it off a screen.

I'm rambling, but I hope that makes sense.

Either way, my hats are off to you on publishing a comic and I appreciate the offer.

Sad there were less than 2K issues of #3 per comichron; no wonder no one saw these in the shops. Hopefully we see a nice jump for #4 (hoping for 4K, but 2X might be hoping for too much).

Edited by azcards4ever

Sad there were less than 2K issues of #3 per comichron; no wonder no one saw these in the shops. Hopefully we see a nice jump for #4 (hoping for 4K, but 2X might be hoping for too much).

I wouldn't be surprised. #4 is the issue shops were able to freely order, after seeing how #1 went.

They had to place their orders for #2 and #3 before they even had #1 on the shelf.

So if a shop was getting badgered by people about the first issue, they actually had a chance to bump their order for #4.

My guess is #4 will be much easier to find than 2 and 3.

I wouldn't be surprised. #4 is the issue shops were able to freely order, after seeing how #1 went.

They had to place their orders for #2 and #3 before they even had #1 on the shelf.

So if a shop was getting badgered by people about the first issue, they actually had a chance to bump their order for #4.

My guess is #4 will be much easier to find than 2 and 3.

+1

Geez. No wonder Diamond dropped the ball....they probably didn't give a rip about an order for 2k books.

Zero chance this book doesn't triple those numbers soon.

Geez. No wonder Diamond dropped the ball....they probably didn't give a rip about an order for 2k books.

Zero chance this book doesn't triple those numbers soon.

+ 1 (thumbs u

The numbers for #2 & #3 are inaccurate and shaded low.

#4 more than doubles actuals for #2 & #3.

#5 even higher still.

#6 coming.

3 NYCC Exclusives.

TPB Vol. 1 in the works.

48 pg Field Guide well underway.

2 exclusives planned for second arc.

Alternate cover artists for second arc lining up.

All is well. Steady as she goes.