• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enormous ! How big will it get ?
3 3

4,716 posts in this topic

If $15 for an extremely accessible first print off eBay is too much what is the definition of a collector? I never thought a collector was defined by the ability to find a comic on a shelf at cover. This thread is over 90 pages because quite a few collectors have heard of it, no? Maybe I'm missing something.

Most collectors purchase their comics at LCS. They don't collect for investment. They also won't spend $15 for an issue that just came out. The guys that read this website represent a very small percentage of comic collectors. The guys that post on this site won't have a problem with paying $15 bucks but I'm not talking about these collectors. Plus who wants to purchase raw comics on EBAY? I guess if you don't care about condition and like receiving over graded stuff then go right ahead but as modern investors know the comics they purchase for investing pretty much have to be 9.8's if they want to make a profit. Try selling 9.4 moderns and see what kind of success you have. Unless you have a Walking Dead #1 you will have a big problem selling it.

If Enormous wants to be a hit with collectors, not investors, it needs to be on LCS shelves every month. Like I said out of 10 LCS in my area only one even heard of the comic. Not one of my buddies who collect comics heard of it until I gave them a copy to read.

Since #2 and #3 probably have a much smaller print run, no wonder it's not on anyone's shelves. Regardless of the distribution issues posted here (and seen first hand by many), there aren't many 2s/3s to go around in the first place.

Shoot, how many people hear of a certain comic when it only has 3K-5K copies printed? I would say that is normal especially when first starting out.

Nice to see multiple comments (even of folks who think this won't take off) of people talking to their friends/shop owners about this "unknown" comic (even giving to friends to read); kinda old school way of getting potential buyers on board for the next issues.

Edited by azcards4ever

Shops sometimes choose to take a gamble and some don't. I'll give you an example all the shops in my area were out when #2 came out but I happened to hit one shop I normally only frequent occasionally as its in the city. The shop had one copy sitting by itself and this was weeks after #2 hit the shelves so my point is sometimes shops can order something and it sits thus taking up valuable shelf room. There is interest in this title and the part I'm scratching my head at is collectors on these boards keep posting like 12-15 bucks is too much for a 2 K or less printed book with this kind of art and story yet how much are some of those marvel variants that come out...15 to 300 and seems like they are gobbled up. hm

Shops sometimes choose to take a gamble and some don't. I'll give you an example all the shops in my area were out when #2 came out but I happened to hit one shop I normally only frequent occasionally as its in the city. The shop had one copy sitting by itself and this was weeks after #2 hit the shelves so my point is sometimes shops can order something and it sits thus taking up valuable shelf room. There is interest in this title and the part I'm scratching my head at is collectors on these boards keep posting like 12-15 bucks is too much for a 2 K or less printed book with this kind of art and story yet how much are some of those marvel variants that come out...15 to 300 and seems like they are gobbled up. hm

$12 - $15 is not to much for investors on this board. It's to much for your typical comic collector that goes to his/her LCS each week. These individuals represent over 90% of comic collectors. Enourmous is popular on this website because investors have made or will make money on it. But it's an unknown comic for the rest of the comic collecting world and if this continues the comic will not become a hit. After all if the comic is not available to purchase and very few people have heard of it I can't see how the comic can become a hit.

$12 - $15 is not to much for investors on this board. It's to much for your typical comic collector that goes to his/her LCS each week. These individuals represent over 90% of comic collectors. Enourmous is popular on this website because investors have made or will make money on it. But it's an unknown comic for the rest of the comic collecting world and if this continues the comic will not become a hit. After all if the comic is not available to purchase and very few people have heard of it I can't see how the comic can become a hit.

Maybe and maybe not. I remember "regular" comic book buyers buying one or 2 of those Superman Unchained variants that were 20 plus not that long ago. I'll agree to disagree.

They will. As soon as Bleeding Cool or Comic Book Resources mentions it - it'll pop. Supposedly the print run #'s are going to increase with issue 5 and then we'll get to see what happens.

CBR Mentioned it long before these boards did…

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=49841

Still isn't popping though…

Oh. Didn't know that.

I still have faith. What's up with all the negativity in this thread on whether or not it's going to grow? Yes, I am speculating on the book and I do think readership will build when later books come out. For a book that only has 3 issues produced and super low print #'s, the fact that this thread has 65 pages of discussion on it, means there's interest. Whether it's speculators or readers - who cares. It's a great book!

Oh. Didn't know that.

I still have faith. What's up with all the negativity in this thread on whether or not it's going to grow? Yes, I am speculating on the book and I do think readership will build when later books come out. For a book that only has 3 issues produced and super low print #'s, the fact that this thread has 65 pages of discussion on it, means there's interest. Whether it's speculators or readers - who cares. It's a great book!

I would imagine the creators would care. Speculators are short sighted and will be gone the minute they get nervous. Readers endure and last. There is a huge difference.

I also don't want it to seem I'm wishing ill will on the book. I'm just being practical. For something to be successful, it needs to be accessible.

Oh. Didn't know that.

I would imagine the creators would care. Speculators are short sighted and will be gone the minute they get nervous. Readers endure and last. There is a huge difference.

I also don't want it to seem I'm wishing ill will on the book. I'm just being practical. For something to be successful, it needs to be accessible.

This is the only place where you can compare the Walking Dead and other books that have grown. I wouldn't compare the story at all but I was buying the Walking Dead new. I think there were like 7000-8000 issue #1 issues made. That book now sells in the top 10 each month. Obviously there are better than 50,000 more people buying the monthly issues than #1s available. This isn't likely to happen but I do believe the book will grow. Who knows how many people will jump on after they hear about it ? Give it time and see what happens. I'm rooting for the creators as I always do. 2c

That's a great question, what is up with all the negativity? If you don't like the book or see no future in it negative comments are completely useless in threads. Plenty of books out I'm not into that others are but I see no reason to drop in those threads hating on the book. It's immature and useless. Let us enjoy the thread as we do the book without the peanut gallery dropping in with the hopes of saying "told ya so" one day. I'm a fan, I read it and look forward to it because it's top notch in my opinion. Take the hate elsewhere. Most of us want the best for the book and it's creators because we support it. Any added value plays a part for some but that's not a factor I'm concerned about at all, taking away from any childish "told ya so" comments in a year. Tim is awesome, and Medhi produces mind blowing artwork. That's what I look forward to and appreciate.