• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Summer Featured Auction

338 posts in this topic

I was a bidder (not the winner) on the Wolverine page. Would love to hear thoughts on the ultimate price.

LOVE those Miller horizontal-panel fight scenes.

That page has traded hands a couple times in the last year in (ballpark) that range. I was hoping buyers would think it was stale and it might fall through to me… but it turns out I wasn't really that close.

It's one of the best stand-alone pages from the series, and quality never really goes "stale" does it?

The Ronin and the DD181 pages could still sell in the "offers" period that usually follows Reserve-not-met CLink auctions.

Sold the Black Kiss panel page for $950 two years ago. Tried to buy it back tonight but didn't want to pay more than half what I sold it for. Oh well :devil:

That BK cover at $6100, seemed really strong. Am I wrong?

Correct. It went for approximately double the amount some of the prior Black Kiss covers sold for.

I won the one thing I was after, "Son of Origins of Marvel Comics" prelim cover by John Romita.

great pick up, I was going to go for that. It look great

I guess I don't know if the 'real' OA is out there somewhere? ? ? Does it exist?

Well done

I'm shocked by the ASM #141 cover result - between the vellum and Spidey's back turned, I would have guessed closer to half of the final price. The ASM #239 at $46,444 also exceeded my expectations by about 10%. The Conan #88 cover at $20,583 shocked me - nice cover, but I thought it would go for something more like $12K. Sienkiewicz Elektra: Assassin cover at $50K went at the high end of what I thought ($40-$50K).

Agree with you on the ASM 141. I don't mind the vellum at all, and the cast of villains is wonderful, but Spidey's back is turned to the viewer and for me, that detracts from the overall appeal.

Romita Jr ASM 239 cover...I would think this is the most $$$ paid for a Romita Jr cover in a public sale. I'm not certain if the ASM 238 cover would top it, but I prefer this one. I think this more than doubles the highest price paid for a Romita Jr X-Men cover in a public sale.

Conan 88 cover. At first I thought it was expensive, but Buscema art has been on a strong upswing for several years, and based on recent public sales for his other Conan covers and splashes from this era, I think this falls in line with those prices realized.

Gene, any real bargains in your opinion? Also, I would be very interested in your opinion of the hammer prices for the swamp thing page, the cap cover and the Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine splash. Thanks in advance.

I'm sure there were some bargains among the lower priced pieces, but none of the marquee pieces other than the Fables cover looked outright cheap to me. That Kirby Thor #258 cover resold for lower than it sold at Heritage in 2013 and that Kirby FF #90 page I mentioned sold for less than it sold at Heritage in 2008, though the final prices still looked within the range of FMV to me. The WD #19 page sold for less than I would have thought given where the two #19 pages sold on eBay within the last year and given the feeding frenzy over the better pages of late.

The people I talked to were thinking, call it, $18-$20K on that Swampy page, though I thought it would go closer to $15K given that it had traded hands a couple of times recently - at $16,752, I guess it was kind of in-between. The Cap cover at $16K I thought was strong for a Ron Wilson cover (even with Romita inks), but I've realized for a while now that Bronze Age covers with very strong images can fetch around $15K even when not drawn by one of the big money artists, so I don't think it was that crazy.

I wasn't following that Spectacular Spider-Man splash very closely - now that one does strike me at $12.750 as being very cheap for something that was used in the main ASM run (was also used as the splash to ASM #116). I'm thinking that people just saw the Spectacular Spider-Man part of it and discounted it by, say, a third from what it would have sold for as an ASM splash. Any other opinions out there on this one?

I wasn't following that Spectacular Spider-Man splash very closely - now that one does strike me at $12.750 as being very cheap for something that was used in the main ASM run (was also used as the splash to ASM #116). I'm thinking that people just saw the Spectacular Spider-Man part of it and discounted it by, say, a third from what it would have sold for as an ASM splash. Any other opinions out there on this one?

It may be a minor point for some, but to me, I can't stand seeing Spidey's eyes with that temporary mask he's wearing, and it turned me off completely from bidding. The image of Spidey against the building is fantastic, but I can't get past that damn mask.

It may be a minor point for some, but to me, I can't stand seeing Spidey's eyes with that temporary mask he's wearing, and it turned me off completely from bidding. The image of Spidey against the building is fantastic, but I can't get past that damn mask.

Nothing a bit of white out can't fix.

:jokealert:

Gene, any real bargains in your opinion? Also, I would be very interested in your opinion of the hammer prices for the swamp thing page, the cap cover and the Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine splash. Thanks in advance.

I'm sure there were some bargains among the lower priced pieces, but none of the marquee pieces other than the Fables cover looked outright cheap to me. That Kirby Thor #258 cover resold for lower than it sold at Heritage in 2013 and that Kirby FF #90 page I mentioned sold for less than it sold at Heritage in 2008, though the final prices still looked within the range of FMV to me. The WD #19 page sold for less than I would have thought given where the two #19 pages sold on eBay within the last year and given the feeding frenzy over the better pages of late.

The people I talked to were thinking, call it, $18-$20K on that Swampy page, though I thought it would go closer to $15K given that it had traded hands a couple of times recently - at $16,752, I guess it was kind of in-between. The Cap cover at $16K I thought was strong for a Ron Wilson cover (even with Romita inks), but I've realized for a while now that Bronze Age covers with very strong images can fetch around $15K even when not drawn by one of the big money artists, so I don't think it was that crazy.

It is odd that people might detract it as a Spectacular Spider-man page, but people do strange things. I think Burkey's collecting tastes affect people in some way. He doesn't go for annuals, so those pages go for less even when they're better art by the same artist.

I for one would like the page a lot more in its original state. Without the shading erased, taking it from a piece that was meant to be enjoyed in the state its in (black and white) and rendering it a piece that is meant for production in color. To value it more the latter way seems very odd to me.

Also, I don't like the alterations made to Spidey's mask to fit the 116 story line (he's wearing a store bought mask which is uglier) Romita's redo of the story improved the plot (by keeping secret who is the man behind the monster), but I wish he'd simply made stats of the pages before redoing all the art. Then he wouldn't have destroyed some of the best art he did in that period (which was also his best period) on the only book whose art was meant to be appreciated fully in black and white -- meaning the original art you can hang on your wall is also just like the final published version.

Also, the logos and text on the splash are a mix of original for Spectacular Spider-man 1 and redo for ASM 116, so the page is neither one nor the other, but a little of both. If I had that piece I would be tempted to stat it as revised for ASM 116 and ask Romita to return it to the original state for SS 1

Sometimes that makes a piece even cooler since it's a view into the process, and it should have some added coolness as a piece used twice, but that apparently bring any value to it, this time. But in all, I agree that it went cheap. Especially