• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective 31 vs. 63 Corvette

189 posts in this topic

Always get what YOU want. Personally, for investment purposes, I would go with the Detective 31 unless...

a) You are able buy the 63 Vette for a decent enough price that AFTER restoration, it will be worth MORE than what you have into it.

b) You have to be able to do much of the work yourself on that car.

c) You want to enjoy driving the car when it's finished

i can do some work except paint/body

I would really enjoy driving more than logging in everyday to see numbers increase

Sweet car but if you are serious Big Block is the more rare and higher sought after vette. But it shows you number matching for 36k has fallen a long way from 10 years ago where that car was a 75 to 100k car

One would say this is a great time to get a classic car.

are there any comics with 20%+ annual investment increases???

I have 1000 shares to play around with. 5 years ago its value was about $22M (105% increase over 5 years is 21% annually)

In the year I would like to go in the market for a lower grade 'Tec 31 or a 63 Corvette split rear window that would still need additional restoration.....

But in 5 years would either of these garner better value at the rate of 105% over 5 years??? What would you do?

212121Untitled_zps7934f226.png

I would skip on both of them and look to diversify into something else.

The car would be a money pit(classic cars are notorious for this), and Detective 31 although a great cover would be one of those books that could go up and down by the whims of a few collectors. Instead of Detective 31 you might be better off with diversifying in a few keys, instead of putting your eggs all in one basket.

Just my opinion. It`s up to you to research what is right for you.

Keep us posted. :wishluck:

My cousin has two vintage corvettes one is a 68 and I'm not sure what year the other is. He also has a 64 Ford. Except for tuneups and breaks those cars run better then most new cars. If the job is done right in the beginning they aren't always money pits. Boats on the other hand are huge money pits. lol

Hey, FWIW, I should have mentioned that I just recently sold off $2,000 worth of key comics and currency to buy a '62 VW for $2,000 that is worth close to $4,000. I did this because I felt I could replace the comics eventually, and I thought my kids would get more out of that VW than a dusty book in a safe deposit box. Also, I can work on cars, so I can add value to the collectible car...whereas the only way to add value to the comic is maybe by pressing. :)

You are partially correct in thinking that 20% isn't possible with comics. It is true that older comics can't be growing that fast, because if they were, they would be super expensive. But consider this. If a comicbook was growing at...say...14% then it would double every 5 years, right?

That would mean, that if the comic started at a base value of $5 dollars and it was:

5 years old, it would be worth $10

or

10 years old, it would be worth $20

or

15 years old, it would be worth $40

or

20 years old, it would be worth $80 (circa 1994)

...Beginning of Modern Age

or

25 years old, it would be worth $160 (circa 1989)

...Copper Age..

or

30 years old, it would be worth $320 (circa 1984)

or

35 years old, it would be worth $640 (circa 1979)

or

40 years old, it would be worth $1280 (say $1300 for easy math) (circa 1974)

....Bronze age...

45 years old, it would be worth $2600

or

50 years old, it would be worth $5200 (circa 1964)

...Silver Age..

55 years old, it would be worth (say $10,000) (circa 1959)

or

60 years old, it would be worth $20K

or

65 years old, it would be worth 40K (circa 1949)

end of golden age

or

70 years old, it would be worth 80K

or

75 years old, it would be worth 160K (circa 1939)

etc., etc.

Now guess why I am trying to fill a short box with copper age keys?

By the way, assuming a 1963 corvette was worth around $5,000 when new, then it needed to double in value about 10 times. So if it's not a $5 million dollar car, it is not keeping pace.

Steve

Sweet car but if you are serious Big Block is the more rare and higher sought after vette. But it shows you number matching for 36k has fallen a long way from 10 years ago where that car was a 75 to 100k car

true but the split window means more to me than a big block

My chevelle is a small 350 fully restored 400 horse and it will wrap you around a telephone.

Im thinking to buy my girlfriend the new Camaro v8 they are pretty sweet. But for the classics a 350 or 327 is plenty muscle

One would say this is a great time to get a classic car.

That is absolutley true if I had the means I would pick one up.

true but the split window means more to me than a big block

My chevelle is a small 350 fully restored 400 horse and it will wrap you around a telephone.

Im thinking to buy my girlfriend the new Camaro v8 they are pretty sweet. But for the classics a 350 or 327 is plenty muscle

Funny fact I know someone who owned and raced vette's in the early to mid 60s. He used to tell me lots of guys removed the split window divider to make the car look like the 64 model. I cringed when I heard that. :makepoint:

Hey, FWIW, I should have mentioned that I just recently sold off $2,000 worth of key comics and currency to buy a '62 VW for $2,000 that is worth close to $4,000. I did this because I felt I could replace the comics eventually, and I thought my kids would get more out of that VW than a dusty book in a safe deposit box. Also, I can work on cars, so I can add value to the collectible car...whereas the only way to add value to the comic is maybe by pressing. :)

You are partially correct in thinking that 20% isn't possible with comics. It is true that older comics can't be growing that fast, because if they were, they would be super expensive. But consider this. If a comicbook was growing at...say...14% then it would double every 5 years, right?

That would mean, that if the comic started at a base value of $5 dollars and it was:

5 years old, it would be worth $10

or

10 years old, it would be worth $20

or

15 years old, it would be worth $40

or

20 years old, it would be worth $80 (circa 1994)

...Beginning of Modern Age

or

25 years old, it would be worth $160 (circa 1989)

...Copper Age..

or

30 years old, it would be worth $320 (circa 1984)

or

35 years old, it would be worth $640 (circa 1979)

or

40 years old, it would be worth $1280 (say $1300 for easy math) (circa 1974)

....Bronze age...

45 years old, it would be worth $2600

or

50 years old, it would be worth $5200 (circa 1964)

...Silver Age..

55 years old, it would be worth (say $10,000) (circa 1959)

or

60 years old, it would be worth $20K

or

65 years old, it would be worth 40K (circa 1949)

end of golden age

or

70 years old, it would be worth 80K

or

75 years old, it would be worth 160K (circa 1939)

etc., etc.

Now guess why I am trying to fill a short box with copper age keys?

By the way, assuming a 1963 corvette was worth around $5,000 when new, then it needed to double in value about 10 times. So if it's not a $5 million dollar car, it is not keeping pace.

Steve

yeah so basically not many books are gonna ever have a 20% annual increase

Yes, but the stock only made 14%. Not 20%. This is because of the compounding effect.

So, while not many books can make 20%, they can keep up with that stock.

And almost no cars have consistently clocked 14%. Maybe only some Ferraris or original Shelby Cobras.

Lets not forget the market has had some terrible years guys. If you bought at the top in 1929 and sold at the bottom in 1974 your total return would be just over 50%. Sometimes I think the recent bull runs have spoiled us. There have been a few 15-18 year cycles where the market has not appreciated at all. 62-80 and 29-44 were the two most recent.