• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective 31 vs. 63 Corvette

189 posts in this topic

are there any comics with 20%+ annual investment increases???

I have 1000 shares to play around with. 5 years ago its value was about $22M (105% increase over 5 years is 21% annually)

In the year I would like to go in the market for a lower grade 'Tec 31 or a 63 Corvette split rear window that would still need additional restoration.....

But in 5 years would either of these garner better value at the rate of 105% over 5 years??? What would you do?

212121Untitled_zps7934f226.png

There are plenty. You just have to find them.

I don't understand the question tho. Are you selling that stock to purchase a comic book or a car?

it not a question of finding them. that is easy

more enjoyable to drive the car but is there a comic that jumps up in value at nearly 20% annually that costs under $50m currently

There are plenty. You just have to find them.

I don't understand the question tho. Are you selling that stock to purchase a comic book or a car?

Probably funding agent orange cancer research.

Can you please post a question that makes sense? :hi: I suspect everyone reading this OP is completely confused!

would you sell and buy the book or car and lose the investment growth if it will not hurt you financially?

I really want a Tec 31 or get a vette that needs 25% restoration

Can you please post a question that makes sense? :hi: I suspect everyone reading this OP is completely confused!

would you sell and buy the book or car and lose the investment growth if it will not hurt you financially?

I really want a Tec 31 or get a vette that needs 25% restoration

That helps thanks. I guess I would on the assumption that the stock's best gains are likely behind it not ahead of it anyways. But I have no idea what stock you are talking about nor do I really follow the stock market much.

I think the answer is NO on any comic book that will increase 20% yearly for that matter 20% increase on a 63 vette is another NO.

Now you may have an easier time finding a 63 vette at a good price as the collector car market has softened. But if you have to get into heavy restoration you will never get your money back out that is restoration fact #1. So buy the car restored at a cheaper price.

Thirdly if you have 22 million in stock why do you care about buying something that can't cost slightly more than several hundred thousand increasing in value???

...a vette that needs 25% restoration

It's never just 25% restoration. Always more. Usually a lot more. So, there is that.

That aside, I'd never cash out an investment that is performing well for a toy, investment toy or otherwise, regardless of whether it would affect me financially. But that's me.

I think the answer is NO on any comic book that will increase 20% yearly for that matter 20% increase on a 63 vette is another NO.

Now you may have an easier time finding a 63 vette at a good price as the collector car market has softened. But if you have to get into heavy restoration you will never get your money back out that is restoration fact #1. So buy the car restored at a cheaper price.

Thirdly if you have 22 million in stock why do you care about buying something that can't cost slightly more than several hundred thousand increasing in value???

your probably right on a more restored model. the 63 split window is the grail i giess i can justify the financial loss with the happiness it would bring.

Fully restored models are just sky rocket just like a 5.0+ Tec 31

If your stock rose 105% in 5 years, then using the rule of 72's for a thumbnail calculation, it increased in value about 14% annually.

To answer your question, all you need to do is find a comicbook or car that is climbing at the same rate....one that is doubling every five years.

The problem with this is that old saw, "past performance is no guarantee of future results".

Sometimes stocks become popular for a while because they have a great way of doing things, but then a new paradigm is selected. Certain cars will get popular based on the demographics of the collectors seeking that car. Likewise, comicbooks can come into vogue quickly because of movie speculation.

IMHO, I would be looking at comicbooks that captivate the imagination of the newer collector...without movie hype...and they are doubling every 5 years...that would be the safest bet.

Same logic with the car.

Always get what YOU want. Personally, for investment purposes, I would go with the Detective 31 unless...

a) You are able buy the 63 Vette for a decent enough price that AFTER restoration, it will be worth MORE than what you have into it.

b) You have to be able to do much of the work yourself on that car.

c) You want to enjoy driving the car when it's finished

If your stock rose 105% in 5 years, then using the rule of 72's for a thumbnail calculation, it increased in value about 14% annually.

To answer your question, all you need to do is find a comicbook or car that is climbing at the same rate....one that is doubling every five years.

The problem with this is that old saw, "past performance is no guarantee of future results".

Sometimes stocks become popular for a while because they have a great way of doing things, but then a new paradigm is selected. Certain cars will get popular based on the demographics of the collectors seeking that car. Likewise, comicbooks can come into vogue quickly because of movie speculation.

IMHO, I would be looking at comicbooks that captivate the imagination of the newer collector...without movie hype...and they are doubling every 5 years...that would be the safest bet.

Same logic with the car.

i agree with you. i dont have intention to flip the corvette so if the market softens i still enjoy the car.

i guess would think only Action 1 and Tec 27 can jump 20%+ annually

I don't think the "M" he writes means the same thing to you and I that it does to him. :gossip:

Jim

I don't think the "M" he writes means the same thing to you and I that it does to him. :gossip:

Jim

In the stock market M is 1000

MM means thousand thousand