• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective 31 vs. 63 Corvette

189 posts in this topic

are there any comics with 20%+ annual investment increases???

I have 1000 shares to play around with. 5 years ago its value was about $22M (105% increase over 5 years is 21% annually)

In the year I would like to go in the market for a lower grade 'Tec 31 or a 63 Corvette split rear window that would still need additional restoration.....

But in 5 years would either of these garner better value at the rate of 105% over 5 years??? What would you do?

stock market returns are due 100% to money printing, post-2008. Take the profit and get out before the second shoe drops. The money printing games are nearing an end, as the Fed owns far to much of the bond market.

Both of the things you listed are high end collectible assets. Physical assets can't be wiped out in the way that stocks will be, so the only risk in both would be a forced sale into a market lacking demand of the given asset.

With collectibles, that risk is always going to be elevated versus true physical assets. However, since both are high end, that risk is diminished. In terms of value buying, figure out which one you think is the most undervalued in its respective market at this point in time. ( i think corvette probably better buy).

In the next 5 years, wealth preservation will be as important (more in my opinion), than yearly returns.

my 2c .

(Personally I think the best possible thing you can own, is land/real estate with out mortgage debt, generating rental income. If you can get debt free real estate invested, valuations are irrelevant, because you cant ever be forced to sell, just need to cover prop tax and maintenance).

CBT I agree with you to an extent. The market is due for a correction. I see it leveling off in the next 5 years to around 12-13k when Yellen turns off the artificially low interest rate. However not all stocks are created equally. I am heavy in oil myself (Xom, RDS.B and BP) Even expecting the market to drop 30% which is what I expect to happen, I don't think my stock will drop more than 20% of its value during that time. And don't forget the sweet sweet dividends. I'm getting $.94 per share of RDS.B, $0.69 per share of Xom, and $.585 share per BP. That's $2.22 per share per quarter in pure profit, just from those three shares. I'd be interested to see where you could get a real estate return like that.

Royal Dutch looks great!!!! .94 is sweet :cloud9:

232323232323Untitled_zps02ab92d1.png

Isn't a corvette a "compensation" car?

:shrug:

depends on how little your pen is.

It's not the size of the car, it's how you drive it.

But that's not really the deal here. Classic cars are more for nostalgic enjoyment and how nice they look in your garage (or fixing up). Most men know by now that just any nice car will only turn other guys heads when driving down the street and maybe that of the few percentage of women that really go for that sort of thing. I see it all the time in DC. Bugatti, Ferrari, Lotus, Bentley, Corvette, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Benz. (though the last 5 are a dime-a-dozen here so no biggie) when one of those purrs around the corner of 14th and Penn, I always look around to see who stops and stares and who's behind the wheel. 99% of the time, it is a 45+ year old male driving and mostly all the guys stop and take notice. The female joggers keep jogging, the female pedestrians keep walking, the female drivers keep texting.

Now if the driver was some 20-something stud you'd probably see some more looks his way. That or a Tesla. I've seen those get more looks from women.

I don't know about that. My VW beetle got the attention of a lot of ladies. I mean a lot! Maybe because it wasn't about power, but about fun. It was disarming. Seriously, that car helped me with the ladies...it really did.

I have 1000 shares to play around with. 5 years ago its value was about $22M (105% increase over 5 years is 21% annually)

In the year I would like to go in the market for a lower grade 'Tec 31 or a 63 Corvette split rear window that would still need additional restoration.....

But in 5 years would either of these garner better value at the rate of 105% over 5 years??? What would you do?

stock market returns are due 100% to money printing, post-2008. Take the profit and get out before the second shoe drops. The money printing games are nearing an end, as the Fed owns far to much of the bond market.

Both of the things you listed are high end collectible assets. Physical assets can't be wiped out in the way that stocks will be, so the only risk in both would be a forced sale into a market lacking demand of the given asset.

With collectibles, that risk is always going to be elevated versus true physical assets. However, since both are high end, that risk is diminished. In terms of value buying, figure out which one you think is the most undervalued in its respective market at this point in time. ( i think corvette probably better buy).

In the next 5 years, wealth preservation will be as important (more in my opinion), than yearly returns.

my 2c .

(Personally I think the best possible thing you can own, is land/real estate with out mortgage debt, generating rental income. If you can get debt free real estate invested, valuations are irrelevant, because you cant ever be forced to sell, just need to cover prop tax and maintenance).

I'm with you on the real estate/landlord thing. But consider...as the paper money loses its value, it becomes really easy to pay back a mortgage. You don't have to own it free and clear...just be able to easily pay the mortgage from the rents. At some point, paying off the mortgage could end up being cheaper than a loaf of bread.

my 2c .

I'm with you on the real estate/landlord thing. But consider...as the paper money loses its value, it becomes really easy to pay back a mortgage. You don't have to own it free and clear...just be able to easily pay the mortgage from the rents. At some point, paying off the mortgage could end up being cheaper than a loaf of bread.

We won't ever get to that point. Debt to GDP in 1930 Germany was 900% and France had stripped them of their natural resources. We are are between 110-200%, depending on how you account for SSI obligations, and we haven't even begun to purge our natural resources. If we did, we could probably pay off our debt rather quickly.

the corvette is a fine car. Most people fall in love with them at a young age and can not actually afford one until much later in life. Think about what point in life most people begin to have disposable income. I still can't afford one , maybe after my boys are grown.

depends on how little your pen is.

It's not the size of the car, it's how you drive it.

But that's not really the deal here. Classic cars are more for nostalgic enjoyment and how nice they look in your garage (or fixing up). Most men know by now that just any nice car will only turn other guys heads when driving down the street and maybe that of the few percentage of women that really go for that sort of thing. I see it all the time in DC. Bugatti, Ferrari, Lotus, Bentley, Corvette, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Benz. (though the last 5 are a dime-a-dozen here so no biggie) when one of those purrs around the corner of 14th and Penn, I always look around to see who stops and stares and who's behind the wheel. 99% of the time, it is a 45+ year old male driving and mostly all the guys stop and take notice. The female joggers keep jogging, the female pedestrians keep walking, the female drivers keep texting.

Now if the driver was some 20-something stud you'd probably see some more looks his way. That or a Tesla. I've seen those get more looks from women.

I don't know about that. My VW beetle got the attention of a lot of ladies. I mean a lot! Maybe because it wasn't about power, but about fun. It was disarming. Seriously, that car helped me with the ladies...it really did.

When I first got my smart car I was all about road trips. I went from driving a full sized Cadillac to that tiny thing, my gas budget was 25% of what it was. So one day I drove out to Toms Farms, and when I got there I realized there was some sort of biker meetup going on, and the parking lot was FULL of Harleys, and a few really nice lowriders. I pulled in and parked and my car was swarmed by tough looking biker dudes who wanted a pic of the car. I think a lot of them had never seen one before. I got asked a bunch of questions on my way to the pizza place. It was pretty cool.

the corvette is a fine car. Most people fall in love with them at a young age and can not actually afford one until much later in life. Think about what point in life most people begin to have disposable income. I still can't afford one , maybe after my boys are grown.
I think you can get an early millennial model for around ten grand. I work with a guy who has two. He does all his own maintenance and repairs on them, and the stories he tells me makes me realize I'd have to take it to a mechanic to change a sparkplug lol

Any car that needs restoration will not appreciate quite like a car that doesn't. The cost of restoration will often times cost more than the car is worth, unless you're a fantastic mechanic and auto body guy yourself. The car can increase in value, and probably will, but not at that rate.

I'd get a Ferrari 308 if I were to "invest" in a car.

Tell me about it,my car is costing me 4x's as much as it's worth.It's a labor of love though. :cloud9:

I think I'm going to have to sue to get mine back from the painter. I'm $20,000 into it and have nothing to show for it, and I am not rich by any means. Makes me think twice about building cars anymore. If I get my money or the car back I may just buy a used Cayman and be done with it.

Any car that needs restoration will not appreciate quite like a car that doesn't. The cost of restoration will often times cost more than the car is worth, unless you're a fantastic mechanic and auto body guy yourself. The car can increase in value, and probably will, but not at that rate.

Tell me about it,my car is costing me 4x's as much as it's worth.It's a labor of love though. :cloud9:

Same here with my old Dodge. I have almost 4x it's worth in it and a long list of things I'd like to work on.

So far every mile I have driven the car has cost me $6.50.

Though if I didn't do it, the car would be sitting in a junkyard someplace -- or be a small cube of crushed metal.

Why a 308? Are they rising in value now?

Personally, I'd go with a 1984 GTO. :devil::cloud9:

Just about the sexiest car ever produced. :cloud9::cloud9:

No, but the Testarossa seems to be. They're of the same era. The 308 can be had on a blue collar budget, as can a handful of Italian mid engines from fancy pedigrees. The only problem is all the other ones are models you've never heard of that look incredibly ugly and still cost as much to drive as a Gallardo. The 308 is one of the easier mid engines to work on at home, Magnum P.I. drove it, it has a removable top (option), and it looks like a tough 70's sportscar. When you think about how muscle cars from the era have exploded in value, people are now choosing between a Ferarri 308 or a fairly common domestic from the same era in the same shape with the same mileage at the same sticker price. I'd go with the Ferrari.

Personally, I'd go with a 1984 GTO. :devil::cloud9:

Just about the sexiest car ever produced. :cloud9::cloud9:

the 84 GTO is my "dream" car.... I passed on one back in the early 2000's before the prices tripled... still one of my biggest regrets ever...

in mid 2000's, I sold my Ferrari 328 gtsi to fund a detective 27.... the tec 27 made me a WHOLE lot more than the 328... my current Ferrari is a 360 Modena spyder, but I have owned 512 BB, Testarossa 512R, and the 328 gtsi...

but I would give them all up for a 84 GTO

Hands down the comic. You'd have to have a pretty vintage car to keep or gain it's value, and even then it would be a pain in the to store and maintain.

i think both would at minimum maintain their value but ultimately a 63 split window would bring me more joy

even if the market softens and the value of the corvette decreases i still enjoy driving it

I can't say vintage Ferrari's are my favorite, I really love air cooled 911's. But a 70's/80's Ferrari isn't too far down the list of super cool cars in my opinion. And I think they are a steal of a price compared to other performance cars from the era.

I can't say vintage Ferrari's are my favorite, I really love air cooled 911's. But a 70's/80's Ferrari isn't too far down the list of super cool cars in my opinion. And I think they are a steal of a price compared to other performance cars from the era.

no doubt a ferrari is cool. i only can cash in on roughly 44M and a 63 vette is a dream car, i guess its like trying to convince someone to buy comics they dont care to collect

if Im gonna drop 40 big ones on a comic it would be a Tec 31.

Boattail Vettes are super cool too, but when looking at it as a speculator, I'd choose the exotic in the same price range. If I were to buy a car simply because I loved the car it would be neither, and I wouldn't care because I wouldn't plan on selling it.