• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective 31 vs. 63 Corvette

189 posts in this topic

are there any comics with 20%+ annual investment increases???

I have 1000 shares to play around with. 5 years ago its value was about $22M (105% increase over 5 years is 21% annually)

In the year I would like to go in the market for a lower grade 'Tec 31 or a 63 Corvette split rear window that would still need additional restoration.....

But in 5 years would either of these garner better value at the rate of 105% over 5 years??? What would you do?

stock market returns are due 100% to money printing, post-2008. Take the profit and get out before the second shoe drops. The money printing games are nearing an end, as the Fed owns far to much of the bond market.

Both of the things you listed are high end collectible assets. Physical assets can't be wiped out in the way that stocks will be, so the only risk in both would be a forced sale into a market lacking demand of the given asset.

With collectibles, that risk is always going to be elevated versus true physical assets. However, since both are high end, that risk is diminished. In terms of value buying, figure out which one you think is the most undervalued in its respective market at this point in time. ( i think corvette probably better buy).

In the next 5 years, wealth preservation will be as important (more in my opinion), than yearly returns.

my 2c .

(Personally I think the best possible thing you can own, is land/real estate with out mortgage debt, generating rental income. If you can get debt free real estate invested, valuations are irrelevant, because you cant ever be forced to sell, just need to cover prop tax and maintenance).

Isn't a corvette a "compensation" car?

:shrug:

depends on how little your pen is.

It's not the size of the car, it's how you drive it.

But that's not really the deal here. Classic cars are more for nostalgic enjoyment and how nice they look in your garage (or fixing up). Most men know by now that just any nice car will only turn other guys heads when driving down the street and maybe that of the few percentage of women that really go for that sort of thing. I see it all the time in DC. Bugatti, Ferrari, Lotus, Bentley, Corvette, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Benz. (though the last 5 are a dime-a-dozen here so no biggie) when one of those purrs around the corner of 14th and Penn, I always look around to see who stops and stares and who's behind the wheel. 99% of the time, it is a 45+ year old male driving and mostly all the guys stop and take notice. The female joggers keep jogging, the female pedestrians keep walking, the female drivers keep texting.

Now if the driver was some 20-something stud you'd probably see some more looks his way. That or a Tesla. I've seen those get more looks from women.

I have 1000 shares to play around with. 5 years ago its value was about $22M (105% increase over 5 years is 21% annually)

In the year I would like to go in the market for a lower grade 'Tec 31 or a 63 Corvette split rear window that would still need additional restoration.....

But in 5 years would either of these garner better value at the rate of 105% over 5 years??? What would you do?

stock market returns are due 100% to money printing, post-2008. Take the profit and get out before the second shoe drops. The money printing games are nearing an end, as the Fed owns far to much of the bond market.

Both of the things you listed are high end collectible assets. Physical assets can't be wiped out in the way that stocks will be, so the only risk in both would be a forced sale into a market lacking demand of the given asset.

With collectibles, that risk is always going to be elevated versus true physical assets. However, since both are high end, that risk is diminished. In terms of value buying, figure out which one you think is the most undervalued in its respective market at this point in time. ( i think corvette probably better buy).

In the next 5 years, wealth preservation will be as important (more in my opinion), than yearly returns.

my 2c .

(Personally I think the best possible thing you can own, is land/real estate with out mortgage debt, generating rental income. If you can get debt free real estate invested, valuations are irrelevant, because you cant ever be forced to sell, just need to cover prop tax and maintenance).

thanks CBT

i dont think i can go wrong whatever I choose because i will be happy with either

Any car that needs restoration will not appreciate quite like a car that doesn't. The cost of restoration will often times cost more than the car is worth, unless you're a fantastic mechanic and auto body guy yourself. The car can increase in value, and probably will, but not at that rate.

I'd get a Ferrari 308 if I were to "invest" in a car.

Any car that needs restoration will not appreciate quite like a car that doesn't. The cost of restoration will often times cost more than the car is worth, unless you're a fantastic mechanic and auto body guy yourself. The car can increase in value, and probably will, but not at that rate.

do you mean original versus one that is restored?

i think an original non restored 63 vette w matching #s (if you can find one) could sore into $100,000+

But that's not really the deal here. Classic cars are more for nostalgic enjoyment and how nice they look in your garage (or fixing up). Most men know by now that just any nice car will only turn other guys heads when driving down the street and maybe that of the few percentage of women that really go for that sort of thing. I see it all the time in DC. Bugatti, Ferrari, Lotus, Bentley, Corvette, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Benz. (though the last 5 are a dime-a-dozen here so no biggie) when one of those purrs around the corner of 14th and Penn, I always look around to see who stops and stares and who's behind the wheel. 99% of the time, it is a 45+ year old male driving and mostly all the guys stop and take notice. The female joggers keep jogging, the female pedestrians keep walking, the female drivers keep texting.

Now if the driver was some 20-something stud you'd probably see some more looks his way. That or a Tesla. I've seen those get more looks from women.

QFT

My father has a '62 Vette, and nostalgia is the only reason he got it. He used to build/street race growing up and always wanted a '62, so when he could finally get one, he did.

Classic cars aren't about compensating for anything

QFT

My father has a '62 Vette, and nostalgia is the only reason he got it. He used to build/street race growing up and always wanted a '62, so when he could finally get one, he did.

Classic cars aren't about compensating for anything

+1

nail on the head, 62 vette (worship)(worship)

i always wanted one and this is my chance to outright get one with out payments so it would feel like its free

Tell me about it,my car is costing me 4x's as much as it's worth.It's a labor of love though. :cloud9:

Tell me about it,my car is costing me 4x's as much as it's worth.It's a labor of love though. :cloud9:

Amateur, I am parting one car and building another. Of course I am stripping weigh and adding power lol I for the most part finance my car through buying and selling car parts ;)

Amateur, I am parting one car and building another. Of course I am stripping weigh and adding power lol I for the most part finance my car through buying and selling car parts ;)

what are you building??

my 2c .

CBT I agree with you to an extent. The market is due for a correction. I see it leveling off in the next 5 years to around 12-13k when Yellen turns off the artificially low interest rate. However not all stocks are created equally. I am heavy in oil myself (Xom, RDS.B and BP) Even expecting the market to drop 30% which is what I expect to happen, I don't think my stock will drop more than 20% of its value during that time. And don't forget the sweet sweet dividends. I'm getting $.94 per share of RDS.B, $0.69 per share of Xom, and $.585 share per BP. That's $2.22 per share per quarter in pure profit, just from those three shares. I'd be interested to see where you could get a real estate return like that.

lol My old hunk of junk could never compete.

I just picked up a 1990 Mustang LX that is getting my other cars 306, fresh trans, 3.73 gears and Nitrous! Yayyyy Nitrous!

I just picked up a 1990 Mustang LX that is getting my other cars 306, fresh trans, 3.73 gears and Nitrous! Yayyyy Nitrous!

Nice! Mine would be lucky to get to 50MPH when done. :preach: Then again Herbert Hoover was President when it was built. :preach: