• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective 31 vs. 63 Corvette

189 posts in this topic

are there any comics with 20%+ annual investment increases???

I have 1000 shares to play around with. 5 years ago its value was about $22M (105% increase over 5 years is 21% annually)

In the year I would like to go in the market for a lower grade 'Tec 31 or a 63 Corvette split rear window that would still need additional restoration.....

But in 5 years would either of these garner better value at the rate of 105% over 5 years??? What would you do?

stock market returns are due 100% to money printing, post-2008. Take the profit and get out before the second shoe drops. The money printing games are nearing an end, as the Fed owns far to much of the bond market.

Both of the things you listed are high end collectible assets. Physical assets can't be wiped out in the way that stocks will be, so the only risk in both would be a forced sale into a market lacking demand of the given asset.

With collectibles, that risk is always going to be elevated versus true physical assets. However, since both are high end, that risk is diminished. In terms of value buying, figure out which one you think is the most undervalued in its respective market at this point in time. ( i think corvette probably better buy).

In the next 5 years, wealth preservation will be as important (more in my opinion), than yearly returns.

my 2c .

(Personally I think the best possible thing you can own, is land/real estate with out mortgage debt, generating rental income. If you can get debt free real estate invested, valuations are irrelevant, because you cant ever be forced to sell, just need to cover prop tax and maintenance).

Ditto, dump the stock and buy rental property. When your old you will still have something to show and can support your comic addiction buying affordable books.

Don't need rental property. Parents own 51 acre in Texas ranch and own mineral rights to the oil.

This stock is for me to enjoy and a 63 vette has my name on it

I have 1000 shares to play around with. 5 years ago its value was about $22M (105% increase over 5 years is 21% annually)

In the year I would like to go in the market for a lower grade 'Tec 31 or a 63 Corvette split rear window that would still need additional restoration.....

But in 5 years would either of these garner better value at the rate of 105% over 5 years??? What would you do?

stock market returns are due 100% to money printing, post-2008. Take the profit and get out before the second shoe drops. The money printing games are nearing an end, as the Fed owns far to much of the bond market.

Both of the things you listed are high end collectible assets. Physical assets can't be wiped out in the way that stocks will be, so the only risk in both would be a forced sale into a market lacking demand of the given asset.

With collectibles, that risk is always going to be elevated versus true physical assets. However, since both are high end, that risk is diminished. In terms of value buying, figure out which one you think is the most undervalued in its respective market at this point in time. ( i think corvette probably better buy).

In the next 5 years, wealth preservation will be as important (more in my opinion), than yearly returns.

my 2c .

(Personally I think the best possible thing you can own, is land/real estate with out mortgage debt, generating rental income. If you can get debt free real estate invested, valuations are irrelevant, because you cant ever be forced to sell, just need to cover prop tax and maintenance).

Ditto, dump the stock and buy rental property. When your old you will still have something to show and can support your comic addiction buying affordable books.

Don't need rental property. Parents own 51 acre in Texas ranch and own mineral rights to the oil.

This stock is for me to enjoy and a 63 vette has my name on it

Well T, that context helps w decision process,,, String Ray it all the way!! FYI that is my grail car also. I came close, but the car craze ran up prices so I ended up w a 95 daily driver for several years. Now that I have a kid, i figure a wedding and college fund is worth a garage full of vetts... lol

212121Untitled_zps7934f226.png

Some questions about your questions:

I assume investment increases equal return on investment?

5 years ago the value of the company was 22 million? or your share of it?

My opinion on cars vs comics

neither are really sound investments but i guess they could be included in a balanced portfolio.

A nice unmolested 'vette with matching numbers would be sweet and even though I love comics a split window 'vette would be very very hard to walk away form.

Some of the later C2s with a big block would be even sweeter.

212121Untitled_zps7934f226.png

Some questions about your questions:

I assume investment increases equal return on investment?

5 years ago the value of the company was 22 million? or your share of it?

My opinion on cars vs comics

neither are really sound investments but i guess they could be included in a balanced portfolio.

A nice unmolested 'vette with matching numbers would be sweet and even though I love comics a split window 'vette would be very very hard to walk away form.

Some of the later C2s with a big block would be even sweeter.

no M means thousand in greek

We use M in the stock market

It was 22,000 5 years ago now aprrox 44000 or 44M

a million would be 1MM

yes the 63 split window is a great piece of Americana i just keep going bacvk to it when i think about all the muscle cars of the 60s

a million would be 1MM

I have not found M to be commonly used on Wall Street to denote thousands. The few times I come across it, it is usually being used in financial reports coming out of the U.K. In the U.S., most people have moved to using an upper-case K, lower-case k or, less frequently, a lower-case m to denote thousands given the confusion in using an upper-case M which means thousand in Greek, but is used in tech to denote millions (e.g., 500MB hard drive) as well as informally among many people (e.g., $1K = 1 thousand, $1M = 1 million, $1B = 1 billion, $1T = 1 trillion).

Probably best to switch to K to avoid confusion. 2c

a million would be 1MM

I have not found M to be commonly used on Wall Street to denote thousands. The few times I come across it, it is usually being used in financial reports coming out of the U.K. In the U.S., most people have moved to using an upper-case K, lower-case k or, less frequently, a lower-case m to denote thousands given the confusion in using an upper-case M which means thousand in Greek, but is used in tech to denote millions (e.g., 500MB hard drive) as well as informally among many people (e.g., $1K = 1 thousand, $1M = 1 million, $1B = 1 billion, $1T = 1 trillion).

Probably best to switch to K to avoid confusion. 2c

that is how Goldman, Newedge, Merrill, BNP, Ameripris, and other brokers i talk to daily write a thousand shares

That is how Goldman, Newedge, Merrill, BNP, Ameripris, and other brokers i talk to daily write a thousand shares

I just looked at a bunch of analyst reports, brokerage notes, company presentations, Bloomberg analytics, and did not see M used for thousands once. I saw "k" and "m" used for thousands and one "M" used for millions, but not one "M" used for thousands.

I've been in the biz for more than 20 years and I've found "M" used as thousands primarily by Europeans. I'm not saying it's not used in the U.S., but it is definitely less common and more confusing - and why confuse people here when everybody can agree on K or k. :baiting::makepoint:

That is how Goldman, Newedge, Merrill, BNP, Ameripris, and other brokers i talk to daily write a thousand shares

I just looked at a bunch of analyst reports, brokerage notes, company presentations, Bloomberg analytics, and did not see M used for thousands once. I saw "k" and "m" used for thousands and one "M" used for millions, but not one "M" used for thousands.

I've been in the biz for more than 20 years and I've found "M" used as thousands primarily by Europeans. I'm not saying it's not used in the U.S., but it is definitely less common and more confusing - and why confuse people here when everybody can agree on K or k. :baiting::makepoint:

my firm uses M. Doesnt make sense to conform to a comics forum...

more than 2M ways to skin a cat

but please dont hurt cats i love them :taptaptap:

Back to cars, I collect high-end comic art and casually follow the collector car market. Both markets are overheated, but I have no doubt that comic art is moreso. As I told one friend recently:

Here's a nice comparison: I don't know about you, but I know which of these 1974 collectibles I'd rather have (hint: it's the one designed by Pininfarina, not by Herb Trimpe)!!

Hulk #180 page (Marvel, 1974) - $657K

1974 Ferrari Dino GTS - $429K (another one recently auctioned at $341K)

I love comparing the auction results at the back of each month's "Automobile" magazine to result comic art results. When that Hulk #180 page sold, all the cars in that month's issue combined (in the auction section) would have cost less than that page.

The pristine 1963 Lincoln Continental Convertible that sold in April for $77K seemed like a great buy compared to what you can get in comic art for that price these days. :cloud9:

Back to cars, I collect high-end comic art and casually follow the collector car market. Both markets are overheated, but I have no doubt that comic art is moreso. As I told one friend recently:

Here's a nice comparison: I don't know about you, but I know which of these 1974 collectibles I'd rather have (hint: it's the one designed by Pininfarina, not by Herb Trimpe)!!

Hulk #180 page (Marvel, 1974) - $657K

1974 Ferrari Dino GTS - $429K (another one recently auctioned at $341K)

I love comparing the auction results at the back of each month's "Automobile" magazine to result comic art results. When that Hulk #180 page sold, all the cars in that month's issue combined (in the auction section) would have cost less than that page.

If I had that kind of disposable money i wold take the Dino

wow!!! but i read somewhere dont remember the website off hand but typically ferrari owners have 2

so if you can buy the original wolverine art you can also comfortably buy the Dino...

i can only squeeze out the 63 vette but it will make me just as happy as that dino owner and $300M less

so if you can buy the original wolverine art you can also comfortably buy the Dino...

You might be surprised...the guys buying high-end comic art are well-off, sure, but the number of collectors that are both wealthy and cash-rich enough that they can just throw $400K+ around without thinking about it you can count on one hand (maybe a couple of fingers). Not that there aren't more people in the hobby who could buy a classic Ferrari if they really wanted to, but most of these people are so into comics/OA and pop culture collectibles that the thought of diverting so much money to an expensive car (or watch or other more traditional markers of wealth) is a completely foreign concept to them. At least, that has been my experience.

Lest you think I have no car cred: :whistle:

Driving fast on the highway does nothing for me, but get me on a technical race track or an autocross course in either a supercar or a Formula car and I'm in heaven - what a rush. :cloud9:

You might be surprised...the guys buying high-end comic art are well-off, sure, but the number of collectors that are both wealthy and cash-rich enough that they can just throw $400K+ around without thinking about it you can count on one hand (maybe a couple of fingers). Not that there aren't more people in the hobby who could buy a classic Ferrari if they really wanted to, but most of these people are so into comics/OA and pop culture collectibles that the thought of diverting so much money to an expensive car (or watch or other more traditional markers of wealth) is a completely foreign concept to them. At least, that has been my experience.

i definitely agree with you that those kind of people could only be counted on one hand maybe 2...

that is crazy price on the wolverine but until they sell it they are out that money. But at the same time, they have money so they never feel the loss of the investment.

I read last month a story that Lebron James doesnt even touch cash less than $100 bills. If his change back is 90 bucks you can keep it. I dont think there is anyone on the forum that can afford to do stuff like that.....

ill just stick with my crummy chevelle insurance appraised at $45,000 but I feel like a million big ones when I drive it

love to see your OA sometime if you share

Nevermind, the Mods changed his mind for him :thumbsup: