• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monthly Sales Figures

665 posts in this topic

Wow, overall sales are down 20% from April 2015? Batman is currently the only ongoing title that is still maintaining over 100,000 copies per month. Even Star Wars has dropped below that threshold now. I wonder if it is a sign of super-hero/comics fatigue?

Mind you, most of the Marvel titles are unreadable now, and with Snyder bowing out from the monthly Batman title I expect DC will see a significant drop in readership for it (which could in turn hurt other DC Bat-titles as well). We will see if Rebirth can rekindle some of the New 52 magic, but if it does not then this could be an interesting year for comic sales.

Edited by kimik

Wow, overall sales are down 20% from April 2015? Batman is currently the only ongoing title that is still maintaining over 100,000 copies per month. Even Star Wars has dropped below that threshold now. I wonder if it is a sign of super-hero/comics fatigue?

Mind you, most of the Marvel titles are unreadable now, and with Snyder bowing out from the monthly Batman title I expect DC will see a significant drop in readership for it (which could in turn hurt other DC Bat-titles as well). We will see if Rebirth can rekindle some of the New 52 magic, but if it does not then this could be an interesting year for comic sales.

Um.. Can we stay on topic please

HIGHHEELS.jpg

DC and Marvel are taking hits by pushing agendas. Sampling there books, they just don't seem to care about their old faithful collectors. They seem to make a social statement in almost all of their stories. That would have mattered more back when the Big 2 owned almost all of the market. Now, they seem to share between 70-73% of the market. They live on events instead of storylines that are naturally created. They should correct their direction or keep inserting politics and watch an ever shrinking market come to fruition.

Image doesn't really compete for the superhero/capes readers so I think they are still suffering based on their editor's decisions. With a stable of books that includes The Walking Dead, East of West, Saga, and Montress just to name a few, they are down over 2% of overall share in a falling market. Smaller indie companies are eating into a portion of this market. Dark Horse, Boom, IDW, and Oni already had a piece of the pie but they've left the door open for potential spec darlings, Aftershock, Black Mask, and other small companies with innovative creative teams. I'm curious to see if they hold the line on variants or let certain retailers back in to help promote their stories ? They are bound to realize at some point that there is little to no market for variant cover TPBs. They shouldn't be giving up an inch of their gains if quality of the story was their only competition imo.

Personally, I'm buying more digital than ever before because I like to read the books prior to any spoilers hitting the sites I visit. Still, I haven't replaced the actual comics. I now buy both of certain issues. Some people may be quitting paper products.

Personally, I'm buying more digital than ever before because I like to read the books prior to any spoilers hitting the sites I visit. Still, I haven't replaced the actual comics. I now buy both of certain issues. Some people may be quitting paper products.

:o

:censored: digital

Edited by Fastballspecial

Honestly think comic sales are down in my shop, because trade sales are through the roof.

Daredevil Netflix didn't make the monthly title boost even a little, but trades went ballistic for a month...

The month before Superman / Batman my shop sold Dark Knight trades like crazy.

Comics didn't see an increase.

Right after Superman / Batman movie Wonder Woman trades caught fire...

Publishers still getting the $

And I hate to break it to you all....Shops too.

Right now Marvel & DC's lines are awful.

They've diluted their properties to placate diversity & Hollywood.

Edited by LarrysComics

I'm for shops. A new one opened here and I've been buying stuff I already own just to try to help them get going. I like the atmosphere of a good comic shop. Usually have a good mix of my favorite kinds of people. I quit going to my last shop because of the "only we can make money selling comics" jealous, non-comic reader, counter guy. Otherwise, I loved the old place and especially the owner and other employees. :D

i'm a sucker but looking forward to Rebirth...maybe they mop up the mess they made of new 52 (batman excluded). Since Snyder is writing All Star Batman in August I don't see the Batman fans fading away too quickly. I'm sure there will be curious folks tuning into Batman 1 for the first few issues.

Edited by krighton

I'm for shops. A new one opened here and I've been buying stuff I already own just to try to help them get going. I like the atmosphere of a good comic shop. Usually have a good mix of my favorite kinds of people. I quit going to my last shop because of the "only we can make money selling comics" jealous, non-comic reader, counter guy. Otherwise, I loved the old place and especially the owner and other employees. :D

Great to hear.

Honestly think comic sales are down in my shop, because trade sales are through the roof.

Daredevil Netflix didn't make the monthly title boost even a little, but trades went ballistic for a month...

Do you see a time when they'll give up on monthlies altogether and just create full arcs for trades? That might help the market in a couple of ways:

1) More innovative storytelling when the writer isn't constrained to wrap up a story in 22 pages.

2) Any speculation (especially for first appearances) requires the purchase of a bigger book rather than a single issue.

i'm a sucker but looking forward to Rebirth...maybe they mop up the mess they made of new 52 (batman excluded). Since Snyder is writing All Star Batman in August I don't see the Batman fans fading away too quickly. I'm sure there will be curious folks tuning into Batman 1 for the first few issues.

Me too. There are always diamonds to be had if you're willing to try enough titles and give them more than a couple of issues.

Do you see a time when they'll give up on monthlies altogether and just create full arcs for trades? That might help the market in a couple of ways:

1) More innovative storytelling when the writer isn't constrained to wrap up a story in 22 pages.

2) Any speculation (especially for first appearances) requires the purchase of a bigger book rather than a single issue.

Where have you been?

Almost EVERYTHING is written for the trade these days...

I have NO idea what part two of your post means.

There were 5 Wednesdays in April in 2015. Maybe that accounts for the drop?

Where have you been?

They're written for the trade, but they're still published monthly. What I'm asking is your opinion on whether printing a monthly comic might stop, with the trade being the only printed option.

Where have you been?

They're written for the trade, but they're still published monthly. What I'm asking is your opinion on whether printing a monthly comic might stop, with the trade being the only printed option.

If that happened ( doubtful ), CGC would need some deeper cases.

:0

Where have you been?

If that happened ( doubtful ), CGC would need some deeper cases.

:0

I wouldn't be surprised if, within the next five years, we see a publish make a few attempts at doing something similar to this. Billed perhaps as a graphic novel series for a character that already has a monthly.

I don't think its a matter of "super-hero fatigue" as much as it is a matter of "reboot fatigue". Marvel cut titles around 7 issues or so, cancelled, then rebooted those same titles (a few with no or virtually no changes.) Silk was selling well, now not so much. Spider-Gwen was selling well, now not so much.

Now D.C. will be doing a reboot, although not so much for a flood of #1 issues as it is to correct what they got wrong with New 52. Hopefully it will be perceived as a positive reboot, but only time & the market will tell. 2c

I don't think its a matter of "super-hero fatigue" as much as it is a matter of "reboot fatigue". Marvel cut titles around 7 issues or so, cancelled, then rebooted those same titles (a few with no or virtually no changes.) Silk was selling well, now not so much. Spider-Gwen was selling well, now not so much.

Now D.C. will be doing a reboot, although not so much for a flood of #1 issues as it is to correct what they got wrong with New 52. Hopefully it will be perceived as a positive reboot, but only time & the market will tell. 2c

+1

Superman Lois Clark 8 (superboy) 18k

To be that low I sure did see a lot of issues on the racks of stores I stopped by. Didn't seem like a quick sell out. Felt more like a steady sale. I bought the last two issues from one LCS without much pressure on Wednesday afternoon. My wife picked up two more at another shop for me on Thursday after release.