• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monthly Sales Figures

665 posts in this topic

It's very frustrating to see sharp declines in some of the Image series as a result of these Marvel/DC variant issues. Over their last five issues, some of the best world building books on the market (Lazarus, East of West, Black Science) have suffered 2K+ declines in their sub-20K print runs. This is truly a bummer since the stories are just getting better.

Amazing Spider-Man 15 $3.99 Marvel 87,994

This one surprised me, two covers and had the Iron Jane hype. Thought it would be higher

Is ASM on the Marvel reboot list for this fall? From what I saw flipping through the latest #1, it is not a great read so I would expect sales of the title to be dropping.

Random Sample, going back 3 years from July. Looks like they should have put an arrow in Cho instead of Banner. Any chance Marvel will admit soon that Banner is Hulk and Cho is no go?

July 2013

Rank

39 Indestructible Hulk 10 Marvel 45,531

July 2016

Rank

90 Totally Awesome Hulk 9 Marvel 26,936

Edited by Mercury Man

Kudos to DC for their success with the DC Rebirth:

http://blog.comichron.com/2016/09/more-than-10-million-comics-ordered-in.html

And when final numbers are calculate for the top 300, knowing the numbers for many DC issues will be minus 10% is even more astonishing:

http://blog.comichron.com/2016/09/ignore-asterisks-most-returnable-comics.html

It needs to be said though that the 10 million+ comics ordered isn't adjust for the returnability. This was all books shipped.

I don't usually look at the numbers for the entire industry, instead drilling into just the Star Wars numbers. I suspect those will be little changed this month from last month minus the usual bleed of units. Personally, I feel Marvel's attempt to milk every last dollar from fans with higher prices and cover variants is not helping them, but instead is backfiring. And I think it is clear their attempt to diversify their books, regardless of whether or not I think it is a positive move, is also meeting with resistance from their diehard readers.

Edited by rjrjr

Someone is mad about the state of Marvel Comics sales. That's a first.

Marvel Sales

Actually, the funny part of the article is the title How Marvel Comics Alienated Their Core Readership for Profits. Seems to me Marvel has alienated their core readership and is missing out on some profits in the process. (shrug)

And when final numbers are calculate for the top 300, knowing the numbers for many DC issues will be minus 10% is even more astonishing:

It needs to be said though that the 10 million+ comics ordered isn't adjust for the returnability. This was all books shipped.

I don't usually look at the numbers for the entire industry, instead drilling into just the Star Wars numbers. I suspect those will be little changed this month from last month minus the usual bleed of units. Personally, I feel Marvel's attempt to milk every last dollar from fans with higher prices and cover variants is not helping them, but instead is backfiring. And I think it is clear their attempt to diversify their books, regardless of whether or not I think it is a positive move, is also meeting with resistance from their diehard readers.

But isn't the article stating that they are not returned?

But isn't the article stating that they are not returned?

Correct. Which makes the numbers that Comichron will post when they put up the top 300 list even more impressive since for those books they are minus that 10%.

Edited by rjrjr

August 2016

Briggs Land #1 came in just over 20,000 with multiple covers. I think this book and B.E.K are the best untapped growth books out. Especially with the "in development" tag at AMC on Briggs Land.

Animosity #1 was just over 9,000 with a single cover. No clue how many of the store/convention #1s but there are many of them. This may not matter but it hurt Enormous which had about 20% of the print run.

Pretty sure Briggs land had just one cover unless you are counting the yesteryear variant that was a 500 print run I believe. I also think B land will blow up once the show gets more attention.

Animosity had a 1:10 and so many store variants that it's becoming absurd. Same old story,. :(

Edited by Astoria

Pretty sure Briggs land had just one cover unless you are counting the yesteryear variant that was a 500 print run I believe. I also think B land will blow up once the show gets more attention.

Animosity had a 1:10 and so many store variants that it's becoming absurd. Same old story,. :(

I don't believe store variants are counted in these numbers because they don't have to go through Diamond distribution. The ComicChron numbers are only Diamond.

Standing in a LC store listening to the covers being ripped off the books for these returns is depressing. Thousands of books hitting the dumpsters across the country :( .Seems like, in this day and age, that recycling, or maybe some form of donation after some kind of marking, should be done with these books

Standing in a LC store listening to the covers being ripped off the books for these returns is depressing. Thousands of books hitting the dumpsters across the country :( .Seems like, in this day and age, that recycling, or maybe some form of donation after some kind of marking, should be done with these books

So you're store does return them? Never heard of anyone returning them.