• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monthly Sales Figures

665 posts in this topic

I have to say I don't understand why people keep buying into the issue 1 gimmick by Marvel. The last recent #1 that has taken off in price is Batman New 52 which is still ongoing after 5 yrs. Then maybe Harley Quinn in her series. First appearances are a better bet from an investment standpoint: Spider-Gwen and Silk.

I don't find the Marvel titles anymore compelling than DC in the last 5 years - if anything the smaller publishers have put out much better material.

However, Marvel is killing it at the box office and I have to believe that has some impact on character and current title popularity.

It is the new #1 every 12 months effect that is propping up the Marvel #s. Look at how many different variants there are of every new #1 - that is what is driving the numbers for the Marvel #1s and DK3 #1. The same thing happened with the New 52 relaunch.

Edited by kimik

If numbers are remotely correct, then it looks like the LCSD Dark Knight #1 is a lower print run than the 1:100 miller cover.

DC is getting a future boost with the Black Books, be nice to see those numbers for December when they come out.

Sounds like a question for a dealer but from what I have heard, dealers are shy about some of the numbers they need to order to get those variants. So I doubt it moves numbers all that much.

lol

All of the big books this year sold more variants than regular issues. Star Wars #1, Dark Knight #1, Star Wars: Darth Vader Down #1. If it weren't for the variants (in most of these cases, the comic shop and pop culture box exclusives), none of these books would have achieved anywhere close to the numbers they have. And to a lesser extend the same thing has happened for many other books.

I think 2015 should be the The Year of the Variant! Seriously, comic shop exclusives, incentives, etc. And this year, we saw the rise of several companies whose sole purpose is to buy exclusive covers from the comic publishers and sell them in subscription "boxes". Loot Crate. Comic Con Box. Nerd (Comic) Block. And probably several others I am unaware of.

I forgot to add some non-comic retailers have gotten in on this too the past few years. Scholastic, Hot Topic, Hastings, 5 Dollar, etc.

And now DC has introduced the "blind" bag variants. I cannot wait to see what the new year brings with that innovation. Because you know the big 2 will abuse that one to death. Blind bag comic shop exclusives?

I have no doubt we will hear this year was a record year for comic sales. How many of those sales were selling the same book to the same customers just with a different cover and for a higher price?

And some of the variant this year were pretty horrible. Those cosplay variants from Marvel has me believing companies don't even have to try anymore and people will be there to fork over their money. Next year I hear they are dressing up fruits and vegetables in superhero costumes to take pictures of for exclusive covers! :jokealert:

I think it is great there is all this money coming into the hobby. I just think it would be healthier if it was being spent on comics that people are actually going to read. So, I'm feeling very positive about part of all this variant craze. The interest is there for comics. I just wish it was because of the content, not the cover.

So what you're saying is.....

the bubble is about to burst.....again

I don't think so. Not this time. I think this time we will see a gradual decline in comic sales, but not the drop off like in the 1990s. I think there is a core customer who will purchase anything put out by the big 2, regardless of the cost, difficulty in obtaining, etc. I cannot even say this year was the peak for comic sales. Before we hit the peak, we will see the peak in superhero movie revenue. And I feel we are still a few years away from that. Some properties are already there though. Spider-Man is there. I don't think it will matter if the next movie involves Marvel Studios or not. In fact, another reboot of the character at the theater this close to the previous movies almost guarantees that character has seen it's best days already. Even a Marvel Studios Hulk couldn't save that character for example.

Like it or not, there are also a ton of speculators in the hobby who have no interest in the content but have been drawn in by the movies. They are the ones who get up every morning to look at all the speculation sites so they can plan their day (which comic shop to visit first.) They just care how much a comic is worth. I see them being the first ones to go once the well runs dry.

Edited by rjrjr

I have to say I don't understand why people keep buying into the issue 1 gimmick by Marvel. The last recent #1 that has taken off in price is Batman New 52 which is still ongoing after 5 yrs. Then maybe Harley Quinn in her series. First appearances are a better bet from an investment standpoint: Spider-Gwen and Silk.

Because some people buy comics to read them? (shrug)

(thumbs u

I think many people have lost sight of this. Comics to read. What a novel idea...

(thumbs u

I think many people have lost sight of this. Comics to read. What a novel idea...

When I look at the huge numbers for DKIII and the other Marvel #1s which are a dramatic increase in the numbers for any month that I can recall, I am thinking this is all speculation driven.

I am more than happy that more people are reading their books but I think more people are looking to flip their books for a profit.

Constantly resetting the book numbers takes a hit on the continuity of the book itself, not that Marvel and DC were good at keeping one. I am starting to think a bust in the CB market is happening because this is now starting to remind me of the 90s, and after some incredible prices I have seen for comics in recent years, I am now starting to see a dip in the values those books used to obtain.

I don't dispute your fact about the variants making up the numbers but I have had more than big dealer tell me they walk away from getting some of those incentive variants because of the order they need to put in.

Because reading comics is MUCH easier and funner when titles are CONSTANTLY being interrupted by reboots

Because reading comics is MUCH easier and funner when titles are CONSTANTLY being interrupted by reboots

Yes, but you don't have a choice. Either buy it or don't.

... For capital gains purposes I might add..

Yup.. Lets collect comics for the purpose of reading them...

While the publisher create them SOLELY for the purposes of making money

Huh? Do you work for free?

I dont buy comics for reading purposes from Marvel or DC ever since 1991 where 99% of it all went to mess.

I dont work for free, I also dont market 100 variants and countless reboots and expect people to believe that I did that to tell a story. Do you?

I dont buy comics for reading purposes from Marvel or DC ever since 1991 where 99% of it all went to mess.

I dont work for free, I also dont market 100 variants and countless reboots and expect people to believe that I did that to tell a story. Do you?

Not sure what the big deal is here. Like I said, either buy it or don't.