• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XXXXX

466 posts in this topic

Hey Red

You seem to have the inside track on everything!

Mr. B will tell you why he thinks his company will be better than CGC. He was not just a grader.

Also everyone knows there is a back log...on CGC. No doubt they get tons of business. So silly to try to compare the two. And the so called highest tier turnaround far more expensive, although I guess that means nothing to you. IN fact on this book perhaps 3xs the price for quick turn around!

Your assumption that there is more of a financial risk, is just plain silly.

They charge because they CAN. So I guess it is just about the $$$! Ok for them to maximize but not me or anyone else. Time to take off those Red/Rose colored glasses!

I hear the plastic is more durable on the other as well. So perhaps you get a little less in that department too.

Sure, I already stated CGC grade to grades usually does better but sometimes their harshness cost the owner. Just look at that Hulk 1.0 now up on the Forum! Poor guy should have an easy 1.5 and probably would get a 1.8 maybe even a 2.0 elsewhere at 1/3 the cost!

Whose making out here? Whose loosing out? Figure it out!

Oh, Mr. SigS you are forgiven ;)

You know why PGX is so much cheaper? Because that's the only reason anyone would ever have for using them to grade. As with anything, you get what you pay for.

I'm pretty sure there's no backlog on the tier hulk 1 false into. And it seems pretty silly to choose PGX over cgc to grade a hulk 1 because you might have to wait an additional 3 days.

My understanding is he was the primary grader who didn't get a cut of the profits. So he left to start his own business. No shenanigans. Just basic business.

Yes, no doubt PGX the Hertz of grading services.

Their prices much more in line with the average Joe Blows you all say you care about in one way or another.

You meager effort to explain the percentage fee one has to pay because his book is beyond the $3K threshold is purely a business decision on their part to maximize incoming dollars and cents. There is no other rationale, rhyme or reason. And good for them.

But to me it is much more fair and ethical to give a set fee, don't ya think?

As far as Mr. B I know in part he felt the customer could be treated better. But believe what you wish. Mr. B will not be making money for some time as I suspect start up for first year or two will be costly. Perhaps in hindsight they should have offered more.

On the other hand if he does well, you may see price/fees going down and grading going up etc., etc, good for the customer, competition good right?

I already told you why I was driven to PGX.

As a consumer I will use who and when and what I decide, as we should do.

The comic book will be fine either way no matter who people chose if they so desire. And the buyer and seller can work all else out. That is the way it has always been regardless of what dealer you buy from or what they grade or value the book.

That is why people go to Cons...to compare! And price etc.

Again, I say there are no good guys and bad guys who grade for owners. Each is a tool to an end, to preserve the book (hopefully) and create a third party grade so others can bargain over it. "No shenanigans. Just basic business" as you say.

But why take the chance...when the charge and the wait is much, much longer.

Because then you would have been reasonably assured of the grade, and reasonably assured that there was no restoration.

With PGX, neither of those conditions exists.

Also everyone knows there is a back log...on CGC. No doubt they get tons of business. So silly to try to compare the two. And the so called highest tier turnaround far more expensive, although I guess that means nothing to you. IN fact on this book perhaps 3xs the price for quick turn around!

This is not true. If you submit under the "Express" tier, your turn around would be about a week. If you submitted under the "Walk-Thru" tier, your turnaround would be about 2 days. Your book would have properly been submitted under "Walk-Thru."

The value of the book at this level, not the speed, is what determines the tier and the price. Those turnaround times are built into those tiers, as sort of a "bonus" for the higher price. You can't opt for a "slower" tier if your book is of a certain value.

Rock.

You are right in that one will get more for CGC 9 out of 10 times.

Too early for me to tell with regard to grading. The one other example I have other than the Hulk is a Rex Dexter...it was a 7.5 restored CGC...now coming back Restored 7.0

If you see all as equal fee scale wise fine. I doubt when comparing, others would see it that way.

Also I have already told you of some of the surprises I had opening up some CGC items. No responses here. That Hulk 1 1.0 Blue on the forum now is another example of being too strict and detrimental to the owner.

Were you aware, BTW that CGC also offers to un-restore books? How is that ethical?

Give out enough C-1 and 2s no doubt that means more business! Or send to them first (for a fee) for them to let you know if the book is restored or can be fixed prior so you are not hit twice with grading...unrestoring...grading again!!!

Good way to use "restoration" as another $$$ maker! Ya think!

Again, they are a business. And they will do what they can do insure a long life and it will cost the consumer. Tis what corporate America does so well.

On the other hand someone told me PGX a basement business...perhaps they are more customer orientated being the "little" guy.

Either way both third parties (and now Mr. Bs new) serve a purpose and the consumer has a choice, better than a monopoly, right?

Otherwise pretty soon, like ebay...the fee will go up from 3-4% to 10% etc..etc.

And how does Heritage come to charge 19.5%!!! Yikes! Perhaps Coming soon to a third party close to you after all said and done. ;) Lets hope not.

Storypapers:

You keep comparing PGX and CGC as if they are comparable. They are not.

RMA, they can be compared against each other. 2c

And when they are, it is discovered that they are not comparable.

Done and done.

:acclaim:

On the other hand someone told me PGX a basement business...perhaps they are more customer orientated being the "little" guy.

Your posts have more straw men than the all the Oz books combined.

:applause:

PGX isn't "the little guy." They are a fraudulent company, that has done provably fraudulent things. That you continue to talk about all the non-issues regarding price, turn around time, etc, is not relevant.

PGX is FRAUDULENT, for which they have answered to NO ONE. Doing business with them, knowing this, makes you complicit in their FRAUD.

Does that make it clear enough? They are a FRAUDULENT company that has KNOWINGLY and PROVABLY defrauded others.

http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

Thanks Mrs Sigs

So answer the question..which would you rather have, the 3.5 CGC left alone or 6.0 PGX?

Remember the book was pressed so even with CGC it was likely the book would jump at least to a 4.5 Remember we all LOVE TO PRESS BOOKS!

Glad Don now happy as well. See I really do care :)

I don't like to press books. :sumo:

Regular Perry Mason.

Those are some heavy accusations. If they did what you say they did...then why haven't they been charged or closed down?

Seems as though all this was long ago and no doubt they run a much tighter ship now. There are a number of crooks on ebay. I bought a $10K item that was a fraud and why I use paypal. They completely covered it.

Seems to me it was the ebay seller who was far more in the wrong. And PGX back when was doing what they could to insure it would not happen again. I am sure they redesigned their holders since.

Anyway, this is America we give everyone a second chance! (or more ;)

I already mentioned a few times CGC missed detached centerfolds and I just opened a handful of books.

Seems others have tried proving that Obama'd birth certificate was also doctored. Same sort of pictures...yet, there he is still in the White House...given another chance after his first 4 years no matter how many scandals. So, I am willing to give PGX a second chance too.

I'll bet you Mr. B could tell some stories about CCG as well.

Of course, you did not really respond to what I wrote; instead you accuse and go off again on another tangent of something that happened long ago.

Most auction houses have scandals as well. Look at Sotherbys and other auction houses that have been caught lying and cheating...yet they still exist today...and are held in pretty high regard.

Anyway, I've heard of blind allegiance, but this is ridiculous!

OK, enjoy your narrow viewpoint, seeing everything through those Red/Rose colored glasses. I wish you well.