• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XXXXX

466 posts in this topic

Rock

Really?

Actually staples are quite flexible and can be slightly angled right or left...not bent sideways.

Yes, really.

Staples are made of metal, and are not naturally flexible. If they are loose, then yes, they can move against the paper. Since you said there was a slit, that means the very thin segment of paper under the legs had split, and without realigning the legs, there's not much that can be done.

So...what did you do?

Rock

The staple is not flexible...but it will shift left to right once opened up without taking it out. When it is slightly open it is simply a matter of setting the angle and bending the prongs down again.

Pretty simple really.

Joe

Staple not mangled at all...the graders did not even think it important.

:roflmao: You mean grader. If there is more that one, please let us know there names, and the name of the resto person.

Rock

The staple is not flexible...but it will shift left to right once opened up without taking it out. When it is slightly open it is simply a matter of setting the angle and bending the prongs down again.

Pretty simple really.

Joe

Okay, I finally understand what was done. It was like pulling every tooth from the mouths of every freakin' tiger on the planet to get all the info lol , but thank you for describing the work.

But to touch on an earlier point; if I were buying any key book and the seller:

a) did this or had this done to the book,

b) is aware that this was done by a former owner,

I would expect him to disclose the info automatically, without being asked. Whether it's preservation or restoration makes no difference. Just sayin'.

I wonder if we'll ever see this book again hm

Assuming he paid the $6k for the most recent 3.5 per gpa. The spine roll and WP would almost certainly command a premium.

hm No "premium" for the "white pages" with all that Marvel chipping going on, regardless of the holder it's in.

-J.

Rock

Pretty simple really.

Joe

So...you bent the legs of the staple, as I said earlier.

Thanks Blaze

Here is a quick summary which may answer or incite...I never know.

My position in a nut shell.

When a book is sent to the "buddy" for a grade past history is not the question.

If I bought this book raw, just the way you saw it I would expect you to grade as I would, without any added history the way a third party grader sees it.

That was my position and why I did not feel it was necessary or warranted to say any more as the book was not for sale, so other disclosures not necessary.

As this thread progressed, for a number of reasons, I went into more details although, again not necessary for you as "graders" to know in my estimation.

I eventually disclosed that this was previously a CGC Blue label to dispel any restoration questions such as trim or CT.

Then the staples became the big issue.

Some here have given some evidence that re-attaching a staple is OK, others not so much. I compared to pressing which is an approved "restoration" process and tried to explain, IMHO, how crazy all this bit about repair, restoration is and how third party grading "expert" rules have, to a degree, distorted common sense with regard to grading a book in its entirety.

This book as you now can tell from the back cover was way off register and pressing it back closer to where it was or should have been, given that pressing is approved, would seem to have been a "natural" and I would think most here and elsewhere would approve.

As far as the White paper. Say what you will, but of course it enhances the sale. A similar book with similar Marvel chipping would go for less with Cream to Off white paper. Silly to say makes no difference.

I am not a big fan of Marvel chipping either but both PGX and CGC (Overstreet) say that MC does not really count against grade until you get to the higher grades, 7.0 or so. Of course it does affect price.

Higher grade PGX vs lower Grade CGC.

WE shall see. I will probably put a price tag of $10K at the show. I am not really in a rush to sell as I want one for my collection. I do have another lower grade.

I will take offers and see and will ask, "What grade equivalent CGC matches a PGX when a 6.0." I'll let ya know if this thread still alive in a month! lol!

But please, lets keep it civil.

No hard feelings, at least here.

We are all people who enjoy this hobby. For those who responded here without any malice, I really appreciate and for those who felt their tempers flare for some reason or other, I hope we can turn a new page... here ;) without such negativity.

Me included.

Good luck with all your collections!

Storypapers...

PGX is a fraudulent company, provably so, which justafanboy demonstrates quite clearly. Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant, storypapers. It's irrelevant because you have made it irrelevant.

What does the spelling of Sotheby's matter...? Because you used Sotheby's on your "resume", to prove that you "knew what you were talking about"...yet, you didn't even know how their name was spelled.

You have dodged and weaved and ducked and hedged. You can continue to type thousands of words, desperately justifying yourself, but no one with half a brain is buying it.

So...good luck with whatever you choose to do.

PS. Please do not mistake speaking to you forthrightly with "tempers flaring." One doesn't need to have malice towards you, nor be angry at you, to tell you what you're doing is questionable.

Rock

PGX lives on...whether you like it or not. If it was Fraudulent no one would use and they would have long been out of business. You prefer CGC...fine. They are great with a big BUT. The Hulk you saw up as a 1.0 an example, but please lets not get in to that.

I graded for Sotheby's over 25 years ago. OOppps...another terrible thing I did misspell the name! I think all this menial nit picking on things that are not the really at issue, says more about you then me.

No dodging or weaving by me. I went above and beyond to try and explain my position, all not necessary. I only asked for a grade on what you saw...but you and a few others could not leave it at that, talking of fraud and lack of integrity and so on.

What you deem as questionable is your prerogative. I find that usually those that point fingers at others have their own "questionable" behavior yet never see it, all to busy judging everyone else.

I do not know about you...but at shows and elsewhere, no one goes around giving all kinds of statements about the books they sell. They price it, others look at it and decide if they want to buy. Color touch should be disclosed, trimming, perhaps cleaning with chemicals, glued areas or pages, but pretty much everything else is from the eye of the perspective buyer. Even pressing...who cares! And why should they? Do you like the way it looks or not? That is the issue.

Third party Graded items, no matter whose, takes away a lot of that deciding, as the book is sealed. If I do not think a PGX or a CGC or whatever is not the grade they give, I will adjust what I am willing to pay for it, higher or lower.

You make this all so complicated!!!

As far as the White paper. Say what you will, but of course it enhances the sale. A similar book with similar Marvel chipping would go for less with Cream to Off white paper. Silly to say makes no difference.

I am not a big fan of Marvel chipping either but both PGX and CGC (Overstreet) say that MC does not really count against grade until you get to the higher grades, 7.0 or so. Of course it does.

"Page quality" = no consistent or quantifiable difference in prices realized within grade, particularly in low to mid grades.

Marvel chipping = directly affect eye appeal in slab, therefore far more likely to negatively affect price when compared to the same book, without marvel chipping, in grade, regardless of "pq".

-J.