• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XXXXX

466 posts in this topic

Written books...yet doesn't know how to use an ellipsis...

hm

I see that photo you use for your ID image is very ... befitting. I'll let you fill in the blank.

Sorry you had such a hard time following ....

hm

Interesting, he had a hard time following, but you feel no guilt for your bad grammar skills.

That's sad, smart people need to make allowances for, and feel bad about dumb people who cannot write worth a damn. I wasn't that good at writing in school, but compared to what I see written all over the internet, I'm a genius.

People who do anything bad should feel bad about it, they should feel guilt, shame, and remorse. They should try to do better, not be angry at whatever pointed out their fault.

I have bought my share of books with various "restoration" done to them. Nobody ever came clean and told me the truth up front. They were all scum, in the end it was stealing more money than the books were really worth, and finally they sell for less than they should.

Do the right thing, keep the book and enjoy it. But whenever you do sell it, have the decency to tell the truth about the book. Regards,

Tough crowd. lol. Any hulk 1, even a restored one, or a funky one with questionable provenance in a pgx slab is going to be worth something to somebody. Them's are the facts. GL.

-J.

Jay...there should not be any more "questionable provenance" regarding the #1 in question on this thread.

All the rest I agree with...you tell me, will I do better with a 3.5 CGC or a 6.0 Blue PGX? Others are welcome to respond to this question.

There are people/dealers who never wanted and still do not like third-graded comics.

Yet, somehow buying and selling goes on between them.

CGC is not the last word, nor is PGX...the last word is between the buyer and the seller.

Grading helps, yet we all know that there are graded comics that often sell well below or above their designated grade.

Third party grading serves a purpose...and that is OUR purpose, the owners of the books being submitted.

That is why CGC has modified and changed their grading with regard to restoration and repair using different designations. That in large part was because of pressure from those who send in books to them and care about this hobby and want to see some degree of repair when necessary and not hammered for it, value wise.

A book should be graded based on its entirety, not on some insignificant action such as re-attaching a staple to a centerfold. That is for you, Lemmings, Lemurs, Leopards, Lizards, Locust ... whatever. ;)

OK, thats enough rantrant ...my 2c well spent :)

hm

I see that photo you use for your ID image is very ... befitting. I'll let you fill in the blank.

Explain...please.

Is this an English class now?

Try...really, try to stay on point! Not that hard.

Sorry you got screwed buying restored books you thought were not. Third-party graded books were made for you!

Perhaps you need a new hobby, one without scum!

I do feel sorry...for you.

Thanks Mrs Sigs

So answer the question..which would you rather have, the 3.5 CGC left alone or 6.0 PGX?

Remember the book was pressed so even with CGC it was likely the book would jump at least to a 4.5 Remember we all LOVE TO PRESS BOOKS!

Glad Don now happy as well. See I really do care :)

Since you asked, I'll take a cgc 4.5 over a pgx 6.0 every day of the week. At least with the cgc 4.5 you know the book in the slab is complete and with a 95% accurate restoration analysis. With CGC you can at least say that they are trying to be consistent with their grading and accurate with their restoration analysis. PGX is well known for being the bottom of the barrel whose only good characteristic is that their slab is apparently stronger. The only time I will ever even bid on a PGX book is when the price is so cheap that it's still a good deal even if the grade is off by a significant amount, or if the grade is so low that there wouldn't be anything for PGX to miss. When you have a PGX book it is true that you can sell it and possibly get your price. But you will be fishing in a pond with a lot fewer fish to hook. (A nice little metaphor for the writer in the house. It paints a pretty picture.)

I'm surprised you don't let this thread just go away.

Since you asked, I'll take a cgc 4.5 over a pgx 6.0 every day of the week. At least with the cgc 4.5 you know the book in the slab is complete and with a 95% accurate restoration analysis. With CGC you can at least say that they are trying to be consistent with their grading and accurate with their restoration analysis. PGX is well known for being the bottom of the barrel whose only good characteristic is that their slab is apparently stronger. The only time I will ever even bid on a PGX book is when the price is so cheap that it's still a good deal even if the grade is off by a significant amount, or if the grade is so low that there wouldn't be anything for PGX to miss. When you have a PGX book it is true that you can sell it and possibly get your price. But you will be fishing in a pond with a lot fewer fish to hook. (A nice little metaphor for the writer in the house. It paints a pretty picture.)

I'm surprised you don't let this thread just go away.

Well said.

Plus I renamed the posts a while back, and suggested the same for the thread. He could have renamed the thread long ago and possibly got most people to lose track of it.

The current grade is 6.0 Blue with white pages.

That is what PGX "graded" it at.

PGX, regardless of how they have fooled the market (and thus benefiited you), does not grade any better than amateurs on these boards do, and significantly worse than professionals on these boards do, because they cannot detect restoration and they don't know how to grade.

You can go on and on about how PGX are "professional, third-party graders, unlike all of you on this board", but the facts are what they are. They are NOT third-party, they have been CAUGHT in multiple conflicts of interest, and the ONLY reason they have not been shut down is because they are too small for anyone in authority to care.

So, please....enough with this "SEE? SEE!!!???" nonsense.

I've written books on popular fiction...done presentations at universities etc...and was the first person to speak of grading similar to coins way back when, pre-CGC or any in the Comic Book Market place..one of the earlier issues. Was made an adviser and graded for Sotherby's once...

I also added in the Victorian era of comics in Overstreet...

No, you weren't. Keith Contarino was talking about slabbing in the late 80's. Comic Book Marketplace didn't begin until 1993, and Keith Contarino had been talking about slabbing IN PRINT in the OPG Updates in 1991.

And who is "Sotherby's"?

:shrug:

I also took a course in... {snip}

None of this means anything in light of the fact that you, knowing full well there was a question about the staples (at least), chose to send the book to PGX. A person who "knows what you know" wouldn't have done that. A person who does what you did does so because they feel there is something to hide.

Whether or not there IS something to hide is not relevant. The fact is, you sent it to PGX because you felt (and which you have made abundantly clear in this thread) that there was, and you knew sending it to PGX would likely cover over that issue.

If you were the professional you claim to be, you would have known all about PGX and avoided them like the plague they are.

Storypapers,

You're conveniently blurring the lines on most members stance regarding the difference between CGC and PGX and your decision to go with PGX. You're focusing on the grading difference while most everyone is focusing on the possible restoration. Nobody is upset or surprised that PGX gave the book a 6.5. We know they're terrible at grading, overgrading is expected with PGX.

What's also expected of PGX is terrible restoration detection. When everyone agreed that BOTH staples looked at least suspicious, you subbed the book to PGX and not CGC. There are experts in the field right here, telling you that this book clearly deserves quality restoration detection because of the red flags seen in both staples.

You don't care that the PGX label will lure collectors into paying a premium for false assurances. You care about obtaining the highest resale value possible when you do decide to sell it.

Why oh why is this thread 36 pages long? :P

:popcorn:

Stick around D, this thread is already in uncharted territory. I'd like the names of PGX's graders and resto person. Oh, that's right, there aren't any. Continue.

Why oh why is this thread 36 pages long? :P

:popcorn:

Stick around D, this thread is already in uncharted territory. I'd like the names of PGX's graders and resto person. Oh, that's right, there aren't any. Continue.

Did he opt for the dog hair special? lol

Storypapers,

You're conveniently blurring the lines on most members stance regarding the difference between CGC and PGX and your decision to go with PGX. You're focusing on the grading difference while most everyone is focusing on the possible restoration. Nobody is upset or surprised that PGX gave the book a 6.5. We know they're terrible at grading, overgrading is expected with PGX.

What's also expected of PGX is terrible restoration detection. When everyone agreed that BOTH staples looked at least suspicious, you subbed the book to PGX and not CGC. There are experts in the field right here, telling you that this book clearly deserves quality restoration detection because of the red flags seen in both staples.

You don't care that the PGX label will lure collectors into paying a premium for false assurances. You care about obtaining the highest resale value possible when you do decide to sell it.

Many people would do exactly as storypapers did. 2c