• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XXXXX

466 posts in this topic

Jay

Go back and look at GPA. Quite often you will see that White paper goes higher. Of course you cannot see if there was chipping on those that went for same or less.

Common sense, would dictate...cream/OW, all else equal does not match prices of OW/W or White on any given day!

I collect GA and SA...page quality usually makes a difference unless some other feature, such as super bold colors, makes up for lack of white paper or at least ow/w vs cream or tan/OW.

SP

Jay

Go back and look at GPA. Quite often you will see that White paper goes higher. Of course you cannot see if there was chipping on those that went for same or less.

Common sense, would dictate...cream/OW, all else equal does not match prices of OW/W or White on any given day!

I collect GA and SA...page quality usually makes a difference unless some other feature, such as super bold colors, makes up for lack of white paper or at least ow/w vs cream or tan/OW.

SP

I will agree that "sometimes" books with "white pages" sell higher in grade. However books with "lower 'pq'" "sometimes" sell for higher as well. The lack of consistency means no "premium" can be said or proven to exist either way.

It's different with marvel chipping, which can be directly observed through the slab. "PQ" is just a notation on a label that CGC is notoriously wishy-washy with, and many if not most collectors are aware of this.

I can only speak for myself here, but if I'm in the market for a book and scrolling down ebay I scroll right past books with chipping. Eye appeal trumps the "pq" notation that happens to be on the label ten out of ten times.

Regardless of my own or anyone else's opinions though, someone will buy that hulk 1 from you for something. Like oak said, I don't think "white pages" will help you in that pgx slab. My only added point was I believe the chipping will hurt it regardless of the "pq" and regardless of the holder. Don't be surprised if it finds its way back into a cgc holder with a lower grade after you sell it though. (thumbs u

-J.

This is the longest running PGM thread in the history of the CGC boards. Congrats, storypapers! :golfclap:

I predicted that pages ago. I see 50 pages through the weekend and the same thing being repeated over and over and over and over.

Remember the trailer for The Last House on the Left. Keep repeating, " its only a movie, its only a movie"

Spiderphil

Not sure what dooshery is; perhaps something you've been drinking.

Seems to me that you have nothing better to do than spew such douchery rather than anything constructive or even destructive.

Please shove it somewhere else.

Others ...thanks for the :golfclap: good, bad or indifferent ;)

Spiderphil

Seems to me that you have nothing better to do than spew such douchery rather than anything constructive or even destructive.

guilty conscious??? I never specified who the dooshery was coming from. I would never disrespect Sotheby's finest grader.

This is the longest running PGM thread in the history of the CGC boards. Congrats, storypapers! :golfclap:

I predicted that pages ago. I see 50 pages through the weekend and the same thing being repeated over and over and over and over.

Remember the trailer for The Last House on the Left. Keep repeating, " its only a movie, its only a movie"

It rests on 13 acres of earth over the very center of hell!

Spiderphil

guilty conscious??? I never specified who the dooshery was coming from. I would never disrespect Sotheby's finest grader.

Perhaps not Sotheby's, but what about "Sotherby's"?

:signofftopic:

lets get on again if you all want to reach 50! ;)

The PQ designation on the label has very little to do with anything important, always take it with a grain of salt.

The quality of the cover paper is critical, very important, and the label PQ has nothing to do with that. It's only telling you about the interior pages, which are insignificant compared to the cover paper. I've still got one picture of a SA book with OWW pages, and yet it had tanning covers. That book was a 9.6 in appearance, but the unknown cover paper made it an 8.0 book with OWW pages. It sold for $69, not the $1000+ a true 9.6 copy would go for.

So stop drooling over the label PQ words, that's a very minor factor. The actual visible defects are huge factors, like the Marvel chipping, and buyers should and do care about that.

You are counting on the unseen defects of that book to make the sale price higher, the staple work and pressing etc. Just like grader's notes which should be disclosed by a buyer if they have them, you should disclose anything done to any book that you sell.

:signofftopic:

lets get on again if you all want to reach 50! ;)

The PQ designation on the label has very little to do with anything important, always take it with a grain of salt.

The quality of the cover paper is critical, very important, and the label PQ has nothing to do with that. It's only telling you about the interior pages, which are insignificant compared to the cover paper. I've still got one picture of a SA book with OWW pages, and yet it had tanning covers. That book was a 9.6 in appearance, but the unknown cover paper made it an 8.0 book with OWW pages. It sold for $69, not the $1000+ a true 9.6 copy would go for.

So stop drooling over the label PQ words, that's a very minor factor. The actual visible defects are huge factors, like the Marvel chipping, and buyers should and do care about that.

You are counting on the unseen defects of that book to make the sale price higher, the staple work and pressing etc. Just like grader's notes which should be disclosed by a buyer if they have them, you should disclose anything done to any book that you sell.

+1

Well said. (thumbs u

-J.

Spiderphil

Admit it. I can handle it. It...it's me...right...?

:eek:

You misspelled Sotherby's, though....

:whee:

Spiderphil

Perhaps not Sotheby's, but what about "Sotherby's"?

Damn it. Too slow!

:cry:

PQ is most certainly a factor. That is why it is included on the grading label and also on the GPA listing. People want to know the page quality.

I collect far more than comics. Lots of paper and paper quality is always a factor as it always should be.

A raw book of course is always opened by the potential buyer to inspect the pages but also the page quality. You can bet if white pages his lights light up. Then the rest of the book can be equated.

The cover is always the primary interest. I talked about eye appeal somewhere along the line. I also said it should be more of a factor when grading a book such as the Hulk #1 1.0 that was recently up on the Forum. Seems CGC too often interested in counting little incidentals rather than the big picture.

Yes tan at cover edges even with white paper inside is not going to set well with the buyer. It is another factor in determining the overall condition and desirability of the book, no question.

Pulp collectors for instance are much less interested in spine or interior or even back cover, as that front cover is most of the value as long as the book is intact and not terribly brittle. Everyone is drawn to the cover first.

Marvel chipping like a mis-cut stamp or a defect in a book printing or like defects, is just that a defect in printing and therefore for good reason not as detrimental as the same amount of paper loss elsewhere caused by whatever reason. Of course, no one prefers it...but it is accepted especially in low to mid grades.

Defect vs wear/tear, most will go with the defect and grading will be different from a third party grader as well as a potential buyer. Just a fact.

If you have the same amount of paper loss, when compared to total loss from marvel chipping you will get a lower grade than one with Marvel chipping.

So although you will get less for MC than a book of the same grade without it, you already have the benefit of a higher grade with it, so you will not get anywhere near as low as a book downgraded for other defects/wear/tear that happened after printing from mishandling/age.

I am not counting on anything but the final grade given by the third party grader. That book may never be opened again...no one is going to care about the interior other than it is listed as White. Staple work, pressing, how many times the pages have been turned, how many folds, chips, tears, dots and spots and bug craps are no longer a factor!

When you buy a graded book do you give every seller the 9th degree? And more importantly does he tell you? Does he tell you all? Does he tell you anything? Does he lie?

Bottom line, once TP graded you determine, given what you see with your own eyes and what is on the label along with his given price and make the decision if you want the book or not and can come to an agreement on price. The grade is given! :idea:

All this tell me a story about every page, every owner, every nit, nat and nuance is just Nuts! ;)

Frankly, I'd like to know, just out of sheer curiosity, what storypapers' actual motive(s) is/are. Nothing he says can be taken at face value, but you can glean all sorts of info from what he does NOT say, and how he says what he DOES say, to be fascinated.

If he'd just not said anything, this thread would have died, but he's like the petty criminal with a guilty conscience...you just sit back and lob softball questions, and he cracks like a hardboiled egg, spilling everything, but trying really hard not to implicate himself in the process.

:cloud9:

Rock

Again you just can't seem to help yourself.

Rather than adding something meaningful to the conversation, for that is what this is, you'd rather look for problems and motives and misspellings.

I am happy to hear you are fascinated by what I do and don't say! Be careful I may say jump in a river...and you being so bewildered, I fear you may just do it!

You don't like the thread life, go sew one of your own!

What's to implicate? You have an opinion I am glad to answer it. That is what one does when he has no guilt. I like sharing and hearing ideas ...terrible motive, I know.

Seems as usual, you have it ars-backwards. Perhaps you are caught between a RockandyourAmadeus.