• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So this guy asks for a refund...

64 posts in this topic

...and I reply, "No problem, just ship the book back."

I get a message from him the other day :

Hello I sent the comic this morning. The estimated delivery date is Thursday 07/17 via USPS tracking ##13091040000047318250 The total cost was 6.95 for shipping; this does not include my supplies, gas, 1$ parking fee and insurance to insure the comic arrives without incident. I would like the postage refund to be adjusted please.

I get the comic today. It was shipped without a bag or board (which is NOT how it was shipped to him) and shipped inside a makeshift cardboard envelope within a flattened Priority Mail box.

I really hate people sometimes. I'm not refunding him anymore than what the terms of the auction stated when he wanted a refund (buyer pays return shipping...that's the eBay default) and if he leaves a negative I'll call and have the feedback removed.

Peace,

Chip

The following is admittedly a generalization but it rings true in a lot of cases.

It's an overall sense of buyer entitlement brought about by entities like Walmart having policies that you can return anything, anytime, for whatever reason. When you start entitling people they start expecting it and get huffy when they don't get it.

yea the nerve of people to leave a negative feedback on one transaction, but be happy with an earlier transaction.

Sighhh. That's too bad. I make it my own personal policy to return the book in the exact packaging it was sent to me in by whatever means it got to me - via Priority or First Class. The whole 'gas money, parking meter' garbage is just a way to be a about it.

If it was my error, I'd refund the postage and deal with any negative feedback. If it was his desire to return it, I'd point that out, not pay return shipping and then deal with any negative feedback. And Priority Mail includes $50-$100 insurance with postage, so he didn't pay any additional there (assuming you wouldn't send a $100+ book without a bag and board). I'd guess that you'll probably never be able to please this person.

This is why I state NO RETURNS on my eBay listings. I'm finding that more often than not, buyers really want the item knowing they can't return it and thus far *knock on wood* have not had a single issue, much less a request for refund.

With that being said, would a problem arise, I'd be more than happy to offer a full refund for returned item - I just don't advertise it. I, personally, think it weeds out the "meh, if I'm not 100% happy, I'll return it or ask for a partial" people. Ones that get buyers remorse 2 seconds after spending the money.

yea the nerve of people to leave a negative feedback on one transaction, but be happy with an earlier transaction.

Seriously? Why be a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed? She wanted free shipping and I wouldn't give it to her. That's why she left that negative. By all means, though...keep talking about things you know nothing about, especially when they're not relevant to this discussion.

Peace,

Chip

This is why I state NO RETURNS on my eBay listings.

It doesn't matter what you say in the listings, if someone wants to return something eBay will side with them as far as their right to return it.

Also, since I'm a Top-Rated seller I have to have a 1-day shipping/handling time AND a 14-day return policy in order to get the FVF discount.

Peace,

Chip

...and I reply, "No problem, just ship the book back."

I get a message from him the other day :

Hello I sent the comic this morning. The estimated delivery date is Thursday 07/17 via USPS tracking ##13091040000047318250 The total cost was 6.95 for shipping; this does not include my supplies, gas, 1$ parking fee and insurance to insure the comic arrives without incident. I would like the postage refund to be adjusted please.

I get the comic today. It was shipped without a bag or board (which is how it was shipped to him) and shipped inside a makeshift cardboard envelope within a flattened Priority Mail box.

I really hate people sometimes. I'm not refunding him anymore than what the terms of the auction stated when he wanted a refund (buyer pays return shipping...that's the eBay default) and if he leaves a negative I'll call and have the feedback removed.

Peace,

Chip

You shipped the book to him without a bag or board?