• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RESULTS: CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 9

24 posts in this topic

2014 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Results for ROUND 9

Book 17: Marvel Mystery Comics #12 *Light Tan to Off-White pages* pre-press scans: (Actual Grade: 3.5)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/361217/Marvel%20Mystery12_FC.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/361217/Marvel%20Mystery12_BC.jpg

Book 17: Marvel Mystery Comics #12 *Light Tan to Off-White pages* post-press, in-slab scans:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/361217/Marvel%20Mystery%2012_front.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/361217/Marvel%20Mystery%2012_back.jpg

Book 18: World of Fantasy #11 *Off-White to White pages* pre-press scans: (Actual Grade: 8.0)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/361217/World%20Of%20Fantasy11_FC.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/361217/World%20Of%20Fantasy11_BC.jpg

148739.gif.6565081fc218886bed7f51e0af4d0f25.gif

Summary of Round 9

And with ONE ROUND to go, the stakes go up for everyone involved. The response: EIGHTEEN DOUBLE BULLSEYES. :applause:

Holding onto FIRST PLACE for the sixth consecutive round, zuckuss2003 valiantly beats back all comers. :cool:

Hot on his heels and only four points back, canickus, genrlzod and TheGeneral wonder whether it is too late to catch him. Each reflects on the misstep that may have cost them the chance for victory. hm

Hoping for one last stumble by the front four, toro waits in the wings, hope slipping away... :eek:

The Mathematically Eliminated Line is now at 60. If you are below 60, finishing with honor is all that you have left.

Good luck everyone! :acclaim:

It's a fight to the finish! :sumo:

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Apparently I suck at GA.... :blahblah:

How does a book with a big crease get into the 8s? :blahblah:

That's what 7s are for. :blahblah:

Is it too late for a FDQ exit? :blahblah:

+1

Unmentionables

sA5SMDd.png

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx CGC

Thats what threw me off. Gut reaction was 8, but the more I looked at it, the more flaws I saw. Considering CGC only spends a few seconds on the books, that's what I'm doing from now on. No time to second guess.

The trick is defocus the image slightly before grading - it's in the CGC guidelines - and don't forget if it could be a production defect than it doesn't count.

It's Gift Grade Friday!

On Monday through Thursday

Never

Congrats to zuckuss 2003 for the high score so far. (worship)

Congrats to canickus for the most bullseyes so far. (thumbs u

Congrats to TheGeneral for never being more than two grades off. :o

Congrats to Toro for seemingly finishing in the top 5 in every grading contest for the last decade. :headbang:

And finally congrats to Chip Cataldo for a most impressive performance after missing a round. You have earned the right to complain about that tragic oversight. :applause:

My goal of finishing in the top ten seems to be slipping away :(

There are a lot of really good graders around here :applause:

Congrats to Toro for seemingly finishing in the top 5 in every grading contest for the last decade. :headbang:

And finally congrats to Chip Cataldo for a most impressive performance after missing a round. You have earned the right to complain about that tragic oversight. :applause:

:think: Chip may have tactically decided to "miss" the round. Think about it, if your really unsure of the grades, skip the round for 0 points as opposed to massive misgrading leading to -2.....well done Chip. Well done.

:think: Chip may have tactically decided to "miss" the round. Think about it, if your really unsure of the grades, skip the round for 0 points as opposed to massive misgrading leading to -2.....well done Chip. Well done.

That strategy has certainly helped kav stay out of the negatives. :)

Trust me, there was nothing else involved in that situation other than the fact that I was a bonehead sitting on the couch watching TV and thinking I didn't have anything to do.

My mind used to be really sharp, but from age 35 until now it's been slowly slipping. You guys have no idea how seriously bad it's become and how my life has been hugely affected by it. It causes me tremendous stress on a daily basis. Seriously.

I do appreciate the kudos, though and I appreciate the guys who've been running this contest. It makes me feel good to do well at something.

Peace,

Chip

Trust me, there was nothing else involved in that situation other than the fact that I was a bonehead sitting on the couch watching TV and thinking I didn't have anything to do.

My mind used to be really sharp, but from age 35 until now it's been slowly slipping. You guys have no idea how seriously bad it's become and how my life has been hugely affected by it. It causes me tremendous stress on a daily basis. Seriously.

I do appreciate the kudos, though and I appreciate the guys who've been running this contest. It makes me feel good to do well at something.

Peace,

Chip

You know, I am pretty sure everyone was just kidding around about you missing a round.

However, on a more serious note, as someone who has had at least three known concussions and a couple other suspected ones, I too have been experiencing memory loss issues as I get older.

One technique I found that helps, a whiteboard. I put everyone up on the white board and as long as I see it, I remember it. If I don't put it on the white board, it's gone.

The trick is to remember to put stuff on the board :D

You know, I am pretty sure everyone was just kidding around about you missing a round.

Oh, I know that. :) It takes a nation of ball-busters to hold me back.

trick is to remember to put stuff on the board :D

That...is why I fail.

Peace,

Chip