• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

Dang when I sent this in for grading I didn't know it would cause a ruckus

How, how is it possible to get a book to to look that good that came out in 1938? Where and how was this thing stored?

That's why I think it might have come from right in Winnipeg where Pristine is. All of the (few ) Canadian pedigrees have had great page quality and the Edgar church collection isn't far from us either... neither was Spokane. White pages on a 38 book might suggest a northern climate and winnipegs as cold as it gets for cities with any kind of population base in 1938

Pristine Comics in Winnipeg (Pembina Highway) went under nearly 7 years ago.

Less than the previous copy got because now the highest graded Detective Comics #27 is the Honus Wagner of comics.

Personally I don't think so and I don't think the potential auction will show that.

AC1 wasn't just expensive beause its scarce... but because it's AC1.

Whether one or two of them... I would much rather own one of them than the top DC27 (although of course I would like that too).

And with white pages there is even a claim that this IS the best AC1.

Problem is the comic rates the same as the other one that went for the highest amount, but now 2 at the same grade this comic has lost its wow factor. It was the Honus Wagner of comics, but can no longer be called that. Its now on the same level as the 2 highest graded Detective Comics at 8.0. The comic will go for less than 2 million and maybe more around the 1 million price. You also have to factor in Superman's popularity is dying while Batman's popularity keeps growing year after year. Detective Comics #27 is the grandaddy of all comics now.

No way. Book looks much better than the previous 9.0. The nicest tec 27 is also likely to be the Allentown copy. It's a much better copy than 8.0.

There are other nice tec 27's as well.

I would be willing to bet anyone that this book will sell more than 2 million. And I would guess closer to 3.

Logic says when another collectible of the same issue, toy, and etc is found to exist of the same grade on rare collectibles the value of that collectible goes down

Forget logic, man. This is Action Comics #1 :baiting:

I was just getting ready to put a WTB up on the boards for an AC #1 in 9.0 condition, then I saw this thread. Looks like I just need to wait a couple more weeks.

Does anyone know if Pristine accepts IOU's? It's as good as money.

Says it was graded Friday. :shrug:

Certification Information

Certification #: 1134755001

Title: Action Comics

Issue: 1

Issue Date: 6/38

Issue Year: 1938

Publisher: D.C. Comics

Grade: 9.0

Page Quality: WHITE

Grade Date: 07/18/2014

Category: Universal

Art Comments: Jerry Siegel and Fred Guardineer story

Fred Guardineer and Bernard Baily art

Joe Shuster cover and art

Key Comments: Origin and 1st appearance of Superman.

1st appearance of Lois Lane and Zatara.

A little disturbing if CGC is allowing manipulation of grading dates. hm

The Dentist?

From everything I've ever heard, his copy wouldn't be blue label nor would it be a 9.0.

Isn't this the confusion from a few years back between the Church copy and the one the Dentist owns?

Supposedly, Borock looked over the one the Dentist owns, and it was 9.2/9.4.

I thought the Dentist owned Tec #27 CGC 9.0 few years ago at Heritage.

Also the collector bought the raw grade of Action Comics #1 from Chuck of Mile High Comics in late 1970's. That book should be 9.4/9.6 but may be never graded. Maybe the owner read it few times that may bring down to 9.0.

Who knows?