• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

Less than the previous copy got because now the highest graded Detective Comics #27 is the Honus Wagner of comics.

Personally I don't think so and I don't think the potential auction will show that.

AC1 wasn't just expensive beause its scarce... but because it's AC1.

Whether one or two of them... I would much rather own one of them than the top DC27 (although of course I would like that too).

And with white pages there is even a claim that this IS the best AC1.

Problem is the comic rates the same as the other one that went for the highest amount, but now 2 at the same grade this comic has lost its wow factor. It was the Honus Wagner of comics, but can no longer be called that. Its now on the same level as the 2 highest graded Detective Comics at 8.0. The comic will go for less than 2 million and maybe more around the 1 million price. You also have to factor in Superman's popularity is dying while Batman's popularity keeps growing year after year. Detective Comics #27 is the grandaddy of all comics now.

No way. Book looks much better than the previous 9.0. The nicest tec 27 is also likely to be the Allentown copy. It's a much better copy than 8.0.

There are other nice tec 27's as well.

I would be willing to bet anyone that this book will sell more than 2 million. And I would guess closer to 3.

Logic says when another collectible of the same issue, toy, and etc is found to exist of the same grade on rare collectibles the value of that collectible goes down

logic? it's a chance to own the nicest looking copy ever likely to be for sale (unless the dentist changes his mind); you can throw your logic out the window

Have you learned nothing from G.I. Joe 21? The sole 9.8 got devalued as soon as another 9.8 showed up. It's the EXACT same thing. Because comics.

You beat me to it. Oh, but you forgot to mention Honus Wagner.

Look Andrew, back off. He's met Logic, and everything.

You're right. Logic has cool books.

I wonder if Cage is going to have proxy bidders going after this for him.

Cage can't afford it. The castle market isn't what it used to be.

425.ad.NicolasCage.Castle.040209.jpg

Less than the previous copy got because now the highest graded Detective Comics #27 is the Honus Wagner of comics.

Personally I don't think so and I don't think the potential auction will show that.

AC1 wasn't just expensive beause its scarce... but because it's AC1.

Whether one or two of them... I would much rather own one of them than the top DC27 (although of course I would like that too).

And with white pages there is even a claim that this IS the best AC1.

Problem is the comic rates the same as the other one that went for the highest amount, but now 2 at the same grade this comic has lost its wow factor. It was the Honus Wagner of comics, but can no longer be called that. Its now on the same level as the 2 highest graded Detective Comics at 8.0. The comic will go for less than 2 million and maybe more around the 1 million price. You also have to factor in Superman's popularity is dying while Batman's popularity keeps growing year after year. Detective Comics #27 is the grandaddy of all comics now.

No way. Book looks much better than the previous 9.0. The nicest tec 27 is also likely to be the Allentown copy. It's a much better copy than 8.0.

There are other nice tec 27's as well.

I would be willing to bet anyone that this book will sell more than 2 million. And I would guess closer to 3.

Logic says when another collectible of the same issue, toy, and etc is found to exist of the same grade on rare collectibles the value of that collectible goes down

logic? it's a chance to own the nicest looking copy ever likely to be for sale (unless the dentist changes his mind); you can throw your logic out the window

Have you learned nothing from G.I. Joe 21? The sole 9.8 got devalued as soon as another 9.8 showed up. It's the EXACT same thing. Because Bomics.

Fixed. :grin:

I wonder if Cage is going to have proxy bidders going after this for him.

Cage can't afford it. The castle market isn't what it used to be.

425.ad.NicolasCage.Castle.040209.jpg

Besides, we might break the internet if two different 9.0 action 1s both become known as 'the nic cage copy.' Too much to process.

the owner of the current AC #1 9.0 should purchase this.

Imagine the controlling authority if you owned both.

Authority over the 5 other people in the hobby who could actually afford it.

Agreed, it gets to the point that it doesn't interest me in a way. It really isn't sour grapes in so much as a simple nod and a 'whoa' when it actually sells. I will never have the money to spend on something like this. I get more excited when I see books sell that I might have had a shot on that are within my pay grade like when we talk about silver age keys and and semi key or classic cover GA.

To me, the sale of an Action one is like when I read of a movie star selling their $40 million dollar home for $55 million. It justifies a glance but, I do not swoon over it knowing that I would never be allowed anywhere near the neighborhood, let alone be able to purchase the property.

the owner of the current AC #1 9.0 should purchase this.

Imagine the controlling authority if you owned both.

Authority over the 5 other people in the hobby who could actually afford it.

Well worth it.

Look at any collectibles market over time and there is no way this book gets 4 or 5 million. I think its ceiling is right around 3 million. Although there are 2 9.0's now, this one is clearly superior in appearance and PQ. New record, but don't be surprised if the record isn't as high as some of the guesses here.

Says it was graded Friday. :shrug:

Certification Information

Certification #: 1134755001

Title: Action Comics

Issue: 1

Issue Date: 6/38

Issue Year: 1938

Publisher: D.C. Comics

Grade: 9.0

Page Quality: WHITE

Grade Date: 07/18/2014

Category: Universal

Art Comments: Jerry Siegel and Fred Guardineer story

Fred Guardineer and Bernard Baily art

Joe Shuster cover and art

Key Comments: Origin and 1st appearance of Superman.

1st appearance of Lois Lane and Zatara.

The market for mid grade and lover copies has been established over the last 2-3 years and even to my surprise they have been changing hands at big dollars. What makes you think that a spectacular top grade copy with white pages is going to "fail"? I say there is no chance that this book sells for less than $2M.