• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC! First timer! Report!!

175 posts in this topic

I took perhaps a dozen photos this morning and the battery died in my camera. Forgot to charge it last night. And then shortly after that the battery died in my phone. doh!

So photos from today will be limited. I'll probably head back to the con floor in an hour or so. Might get more then.

This morning I naively thought I would check out the big Walking Dead and Game of Thrones sessions in Hall H. I knew there would be a lineup, but I didn't expect what I saw. The room holds something like 7,000 people and by 5 AM there were already over 10,000 people in line. Some had camped out since Thursday morning. The line extended all the way to the marina and the people at the end really didn't have any hope of getting in. I guess they were banking on some people leaving after the first session in Hall H.

People are crazy. And Comic Con people are even crazier.

Instead I went the "Spotlight on Neal Adams" session. I figured it would be a panel discussion with his peers trading stories. Instead it was just Neal regaling the audience with tales for an hour. He's a funny guy... in small doses. An hour was a little much. I was also surprised by the small turnout: the room was about a third full. Perhaps 50-60 people.

Then I did the session with the various producers of hard cover comic art books. Fairly interesting. Greg Goldstein and Scott Dunbier from IDW, Craig Yoe, Michael Martens from Dark Horse, Peter Maresca from Sunday Press, and Fantagraphic's Eric Reynolds. At the end Scott Dunbier announced Vol. 2 of the EC series of artists editions for next spring.

great quality on your pics. keep them coming!

I was thinking the same! May I ask if those are from a phone cam? and if so which one?

Thanks for sharing and enjoy!!

Some are from my iPhone and some are from my Nikon D5100.

I took perhaps a dozen photos this morning and the battery died in my camera. Forgot to charge it last night. And then shortly after that the battery died in my phone. doh!

So photos from today will be limited. I'll probably head back to the con floor in an hour or so. Might get more then.

This morning I naively thought I would check out the big Walking Dead and Game of Thrones sessions in Hall H. I knew there would be a lineup, but I didn't expect what I saw. The room holds something like 7,000 people and by 5 AM there were already over 10,000 people in line. Some had camped out since Thursday morning. The line extended all the way to the marina and the people at the end really didn't have any hope of getting in. I guess they were banking on some people leaving after the first session in Hall H.

People are crazy. And Comic Con people are even crazier.

Instead I went the "Spotlight on Neal Adams" session. I figured it would be a panel discussion with his peers trading stories. Instead it was just Neal regaling the audience with tales for an hour. He's a funny guy... in small doses. An hour was a little much. I was also surprised by the small turnout: the room was about a third full. Perhaps 50-60 people.

Then I did the session with the various producers of hard cover comic art books. Fairly interesting. Greg Goldstein and Scott Dunbier from IDW, Craig Yoe, Michael Martens from Dark Horse, Peter Maresca from Sunday Press, and Fantagraphic's Eric Reynolds. At the end Scott Dunbier announced Vol. 2 of the EC series of artists editions for next spring.

Did he talk about the Expanding Earth Theory? :wishluck:

So...

It's about 8 AM on Friday and I walked over to check out the Hall H situation. That's where I learned I didn't have a hope of getting in.

But these people will certainly. For the record, these are the people at the very front of the line. The ones who camped out for a day or so.

DSC_0009.JPG

More CosPlay. It's MIB!!! Oh. Wait a sec. It's SDCC security guys in black.

DSC_0005.JPG

OK, here's a variety of real costume shots. Starting with this one. A bizarre menagerie...

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0013.jpg

Why is this guy (girl?) taking the escalator when he (she?) can fly?

DSC_0015.jpg

And now a (VERY) few wall pics. I took these around 8:30 while everyone was still setting up their shelves for the day. And I only got to Ted's booth and Anthony's art booth before my battery died.

Ted's half empty wall.

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

And some shots from other locations. Some great Game of Thrones busts. I think these are latex masks, but I could be wrong.

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.jpg

I don't have a clue who this is.

DSC_0033.jpg

And the Walking Dead display.

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

The crowds at 5th Avenue around noon.

photo2.JPG

And more cosplay:

photo1.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo4.JPG

Dad does touch-up work on his zombie son:

photo5.JPG

Spider-Woman and Spider-Dude:

photo6.JPG

photo7.JPG

photo8.JPG

My niece's son lives and breathes Spidey, so I have to get as many Spidey photos as possible. I think it might confuse him, though. Why are there so many Spider-Men?

photo9.JPG