• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying raw comics on ebay is a risky business...

84 posts in this topic

if only there was a way to buy a comic where some objective, reliable, third party had already checked it for restoration, certified it, and encased it in something to ensure that no other work was done to it.

Oh well, since nothing like that exists, I'll post on this random comic forum about my experiences.

Was the restoration that hard to spot or did you not look hard enough. Either way suck when you get back something you weren't expecting.

Like somebody said, I wouldn't even have thought to look for resto on the books as they are not old enough...

NM 87 is a SA, probably marker touch up on color breaking creases.

Star Wars haven't received it yet, just saw on my order in the web site now that it's graded that it is C-1.

I haven't paid too much for the NM, so I don't care much, but the Star Wars is hurting more... Paid like $80us + pressing + value grading...

I would go back to the original seller and give them an opportunity to make it right. You might get no relief, but at least you've informed the guy of what he played a part in

Bought it raw off eBay, so I was a bit nervous, but it turned out to be a bargain.

a53.jpg

You know that's a rarity

Yup. Russian Roulette.

Jeff (nearmint) bought that copy from "Sparkle City Comics" on eBay, which is a very reputable seller. so if you know who your buying from and their selling history, that reduces your risk substantially.

although their grade was off by .5

LMAO!!!!! yeah that would be great! :-P

if only there was a way to buy a comic where some objective, reliable, third party had already checked it for restoration, certified it, and encased it in something to ensure that no other work was done to it.

Oh well, since nothing like that exists, I'll post on this random comic forum about my experiences.

Never, never buy raw comics on eBay

Yep. Stay far, FAR away from raw comics on eBay. Never found a good deal on there, and never will. A vast wasteland of overgraded and overpriced drek with nary a steal to be found.

Yep. Stay far, FAR away from raw comics on eBay. Never found a good deal on there, and never will. A vast wasteland of overgraded and overpriced drek with nary a steal to be found.

And return shipping and paypal disputes are a PITA.

Stick to the boards or CGC graded books.

lol

I figured he was being sarcastic. But I'm completely serious. Why buy raw comics on eBay when there are plenty of solid dealers who you can mostly trust and buy here on the boards?

I don't understand taking that risk just to possibly get a deal.

That's just me. I avoid eBay raw comics. Slabs sure but raw not a chance unless I know he dealer like Sparklecity.

Yep it's all drek-No AF 15's or Action #1's or anything good

IWhy buy raw comics on eBay when there are plenty of solid dealers who you can mostly trust and buy here on the boards?

Some of us here are on eBay as well.

Peace,

Chip

That's what I mean. I'd only buy from people I know of on eBay.

I'd gladly buy a raw comic from you on eBay Chip. :)

Two books I bought on ebay (New Mutants 87 and Star Wars 1) ended up being restored...

By the time you receive them, send them to CGC (and maybe CCS for pressing) and get them back graded, and have the surprise of a PLOD there's no recourse left :(

Anybody had the same experience?

No never had that problem,ever. (shrug)