• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mad Max - Fury Road - 2015

230 posts in this topic

Can't wait to see this. I think it might be the first movie that actually makes the whole orange/blue colouring a perfect fit.

The marketing for this movie has been great. Good designers on all elements, from the actual main promotions to all the side art such as these retro posters (which is how a poster should be done!)

11221365_672048706233987_4076824778214239268_n_large.jpg

mad_max_poster_posse_02_a_large.jpg

All posters can be viewed here

Wow, the critics are about to BLOW UP over this movie...

Over a hundred reviews and almost perfect ratings on RT!

For an action any flick that is rare as hen's teeth!

:o

couple that w/ 90+ on Metacritic. there have been fewer than 75 movies ever rated by Metacritic higher than 90 http://www.metacritic.com/browse/movies/score/metascore/all

congrats to George Miller & crew

Edited by paperheart

Just got back from seeing it in 3D.

Here is my attempt at a spoiler free review. As Beige said, it was VERY good and deserves the accolades that it is receiving.

Leading up to this movie, I avoided all media and spoilers so I could see what Miller would unleash upon the moviegoing audience in this day of avengers and caped crusaders.

Plot

I am an hour away from leaving the theater and I am still trying to digest everything I just saw. Essentially it is a chase movie and that is obvious if you have even seen the trailer. It is the jaw dropping encounters occurring along the way that drag you into Millers world. Miller succeeds in that his post apocalyptic world is a character upon itself and in some instances the main antagonist of Max' tale. You find yourself staring at the screen trying to absorb everything that is going on once you realize that every shot, and I mean every shot is layered with detail to immerse the audience into this world. Max is a fractured character and has a story that is slowly revealed throughout the movie. I liked how Miller thrusts you into the world without the need to go into detail as to how exactly we got here. The world has gone to Hell, these people are trying to rebuild and stay alive amid the lawlessness and chaos. At the end you may have a sense of being as shell shocked as the characters are in this nightmare world that Miller throws at you.

Acting

Let's be real here. You want to know how Hardy holds up. Tom does just fine. There were a couple of nuances in the manner that he speaks that made the name "Bane" pop into my head. It will happen due to the annunciation in his voice. However Hardy sinks himself into character as the PTSD Max that is simply trying to survive. I would like to think that Gibson arrived at the same mindset when he had the role as there will be times that Hardy's performance and nuances are evocative of Gibson's which you may see during some of the fight scenes from the bobbing of the head to certain reactions. This is not a Tom Hardy movie. This is a Mad Max movie. Theron satisfies the role and I thought Hoult had a standout performance for what the role demanded. Hoult is not vying for an Oscar but he is a part of this world and shares its frenzy in every scene he is in.

Special Effects

Just wow. I saw Avengers two weeks ago in 3D simply because it was the only version available to see at the time I was able to go. I enjoyed Avengers but walked out of there with a headache from what I felt was too much use of the 3D in a manner that was just too much "in your face" without reason. I liked Avengers but felt it was too busy in certain areas. Miller uses 3D to compliment the cinematography and not to simply make use of it as a novelty as many film makers do. As far as the special effects I had to ask whether there really were any? I could tell that there were a lot of practical effects used throughout this movie and they were performed in such a way that you felt as if this was all very real and going on in front of you. You did not feel as if you were watching a chase. You felt as if you were IN one.

Sound

I do not want to give away a spoiler so let me say that for a good sized portion of the soundtrack, you are listening to the same music that the characters hear. This was done quite well to integrate the music into the action sequences.

Legacy

Reboot? Remake? Continuation? I started to lean on to the side of reboot until I started noticing certain things. The knee brace, the the death of his family, and a couple of other things that I won't go unto detail about, everything that happened in the previous three movies, has happened here. Is it possible that this is a continuation with someone else taking over the role of Max? I can buy into that. I am comfortable with that. I saw it as a continuation of the same character.

Overall

I do not go to the movies much anymore. I like to sit and digest a film. This was a unique experience. It was a popcorn movie, yet at the same time it was a film. I was glad to have seen this in the theater so much so that I am up at 1am writing about it to try to get you to see it. I do not think that you are wasting your time or money if you take in a show, in fact, I strong recommend it. I hope the box office draw matches the strong reviews it is receiving as I want Miller to revisit this world and these characters again.

Go see it... like now. My 2¢

Saw this last night.

Its not as good as everyone is raving about...

But its pretty damn close!!!

Totally agree that this is first and foremost a Mad Max movie, Awesome action sequences held together by a plot that kinda works within its own unique rules.

Hardy is very good - i thought his first scene was his best - just crazy! He must have all of 20 lines in the whole film.

Theron is OMG gorgeous and i have to say that the effect of her with a false arm is the best I've seen in any film - my wife asked me at the start if she'd actually lost her arm its that well done. That's not spoiling anything BTW, her character just has an arm missing.

Its not the best total action film I've ever seen (for that I'd go with 'The Raid') - there are quite a few quiet periods, but they don't drag.

But as a Mad Max film... Its really really good!

Screening I was in applauded at the end... only had that about 5-6 times before.

I haven't watched the original films for years. Would it be better to go back and watch those first before going to see this? I was thinking about going tonight but if I'd miss out on anything I'd rather wait.

I haven't watched the original films for years. Would it be better to go back and watch those first before going to see this? I was thinking about going tonight but if I'd miss out on anything I'd rather wait.

Nah, makes no difference to your enjoyment of the picture.

Nah, makes no difference to your enjoyment of the picture.

(thumbs u Thanks

Just saw Mad Max:Fury Road.

It's balls to the walls insane :o

The SFX were brutally amazing ( the sand storm scene in particular was aw inspiring)

I couldn't tell what was real or CGI.

You have to see this in 3D (It enhances the movie )

I kept thinking this could've been an awesome Dredd film set in the Cursed Earth.

If Charlize Theron doesn't at least get a call from Marvel for Captain Marvel after this film,I will be very pissed :sumo:

GO SEE THIS NOW

I cannot put into words how AMAZING this movie is.

Dear Marvel. I want my money back. Go hire George Miller and pay him whatever he wants to make the Thanos movie.

62246285.jpg

Thinking of taking my (soon to be) 11 year old to see this. How much adult content is in this movie?

There is one specific scene 3/4 of the way through Fury Road that is not suitable for an 11 year old: not sexy but disturbing.

Overall, I like all Mad Max movies. The 1st 20 minutes of this one was a real thrill ride but there was so little dialog that some filmgoers may not be able to recall the back story to Mad Max's motivation, as Beyond Thunderdome came out decades :flamed: ago in 1985. Most of us bought the videocassette; this was way BEFORE the now defunct dvd media.