• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picks for Most Underrated Horror Movies

536 posts in this topic

Devil's Rejects has become one of my favorites. And it has an awesome soundtrack.

+1

Aso give credit to the first film, House of a Thousand Corpses!

I loved Devil's Rejects :headbang:

Unfortunately ... I think Rob peaked with it.

I really was hoping for more out of him after this one :(

After 1000 corpses I was hoping for more on Dr Satan....not just some hillbilly shootout.

PS listen to Steve Earl...Guitar Town.

I must admit... Dr. Satan could have been a great character had Rob decided to flesh him out.

Devil's Rejects just had that "grindhouse" feel to it.

I mean you just felt dirty after watching it. :devil:

I like House of a Thousand Corpses. Just not as much as Devils Rejects. I probably should watch it again though. I remember not really knowing what to think of the ending.

I can't listen to Freebird without thinking of the final scene now.

THE KEEP

I'll say again.

THE KEEP

But it really deserves to be seen in widescreen, which has not existed since laserdisc days. Netflix and Amazon Prime both have it for streaming but it is the dreaded 4.3 format. :(

If I leave here tomorrow..........

As soon as I here that line I think about Captain Spalding sitting in the car shaking his head.

It is amazing how Rob Zombie somehow made you feel sympathetic towards them at the end.

I was very impressed by "The Mist"...... one of my favorite King movies yet..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I liked The Mist until they went nuts on the anti-religious note. There is a huge cosmic disaster, unseen monsters stalk through the fog, giant insects are grabbing people. But what is the scariest threat? A religious lady. She somehow manages to convert a store full of normal people into murderous zealots in less than 24 hours. That foolish choice spoiled what could have been a really good movie.

PS. Not quite the same, but 30 Days of Night was an extremely well made film, as was the comic by Niles.

Agree. Very effective and scary flick. There were several shots in that movie that gave me chills, like the one where the camera rises above the street as the vampires begin their mayhem.

Here are several comics related to horror movies (and a couple sci-fi):

149282.jpg.d8b7b9bc68d631025d407571b8e538a8.jpg

149283.jpg.80b4e6b4c1b7a13c66d9e7b0fbb44583.jpg

149284.jpg.fef1d44277ad54e3946c28f784858e2e.jpg

149285.jpg.0705f2e9481dabe98d7754c8d08aa585.jpg

149286.jpg.2c8a470a81e1b74522352ad8d446fd08.jpg

This link goes in to detail about difference in the Mist between the book and the movie. There is a nice write up about how the movie makes Mrs. Carmody much more of a religious wacko where the book has her as a more general wacko.

Personally it didn't bother me.

Edit: Helps if I include the link.

http://www.avclub.com/article/book-vs-film-ithe-misti-10191

This link goes in to detail about difference in the Mist between the book and the movie. There is a nice write up about how the movie makes Mrs. Carmody much more of a religious wacko where the book has her as a more general wacko.

Thanks for that article. It's pretty accurate with its comparison to the novella. The character wasn't nearly so overdone in the story.

Now about the differences in the endings... :eyeroll:

Thanks for that article. It's pretty accurate with its comparison to the novella. The character wasn't nearly so overdone in the story.

Now about the differences in the endings... :eyeroll:

Hated it. I think I posted that earlier in this thread. I just don't see why they did it.

If you're into campy, The Dead Next Door.

Even though it appears they have sound for everyone else, the main character is voiced over by Bruce Campbell. (I guess he overdubbed another guys voice as well)

taken from wiki:

"Sam Raimi served as executive producer on the film under the pseudonym 'The Master Cylinder' using a portion of his payment from Evil Dead II. Bruce Campbell dubbed the voices of two characters, Raimi and Cmr Carpenter. The movie was produced over nearly four years, in Akron, Ohio. Although unsure of the exact figure, in an interview director J. R. Bookwalter estimated that the film cost $125,000 to produce."

MV5BMTAwNzk5MzkxMTdeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDYyMzYwMzE_V1_SY317_CR50214317_AL__zpsef4a4bf4.jpg

Two more of my "old time" favorites:

The Abominable Dr. Phibes

Dr. Phibes Rises again

A Vincent Price tour de force as a disfigured mad genius always one step ahead of the law. The movies both had surprisingly high death counts for back in the 70's.

Yes, I forgot about these....solid

Oculus is pretty good. It has that sort of kids/looking glass house of mystery feel to it.

Kids are traumatized by looking glass and later grow up and go back to face it (one comes out of institution).

Some posters mentioned the Mist.

1408 is one of the scariest/freakiest adaptations of a Stephen King novella. I watched it so many times.