• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picks for Most Underrated Horror Movies

536 posts in this topic

Thanks to all for sharing their gems. Some great picks and many unknown to me.

Here is my list. Some have been mentioned before...

Abominable

Low budget but well-done bigfoot movie. A bit cheesy, with vibes of "Rear Window", some great scares and a fun ending.

The Abominable Snowman

1950's Hammer adventure thriller with Forrest Tucker and Peter Cushing. American and British adventurers travel to the Himalayas in search of the title monster. What they find is more than anyone expected. Scary and thoughtful!

Absentia

Very atmospheric modern thriller. A woman's husband is missing for years. She is about to have him declared dead, when he returns. Something had him all those years... Sometimes a bit slow and never fully explained, but really creepy.

Adam Chaplin

Over the top Italian gorefest about a man who becomes a demon to exact revenge on his wife's killers. Emphasis on over the top.

Altered

Little known action flick about four friends that were abducted by aliens years ago. They decide to try to capture one of the aliens for revenge. When they do... Just about everything you would want from a scary alien movie. Directed by one of the Blair Witch Project creators.

Braindead

Thoughtful, scary movie with Bill Paxton, Bill Pullman, and Bud Cort. Written by Charles Beaumont.

The Crawling Eye

Giant crawling eyeball creatures descend from the skies to the peaks of the Alps. Forrest Tucker fights giant crawling eyeball creatures...nuff said.

Dagon

Adaptation of Lovecraft story by Stuart Gordon. People know about Reanimator and From Beyond, but I enjoyed Dagon the most. Two vacationing Americans land in a remote Spanish village, where they find the people worship an ancient entity. Really atmospheric and creepy!

Dead Girl

A group of young men find an undead woman confined in the basement of an abandoned mental hospital. Their moral dilemmas as they deal with the situation lead them down some very dark avenues. Disturbing!

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

1973 Made for TV movie about a couple that moves into a house. The wife finds that something else lives there, too...

Dracula

Francis Ford Coppola's version of this looks great and doesn't get a lot of recognition, but it's definitely worth watching.

Frailty

Bill Paxton directs and stars with Matthew McConaughey. Great film about a couple of boys whose serial killer father demands they help him kill what he perceives are demons and monsters among us.

Ghostwatch

Chilling 1992 BBC drama about a television crew and group of investigators who decide to stay overnight in England's "most haunted house." What could go wrong?

God Told Me To

Bizarre Larry Cohen flick about a NY cop who investigates a series of random murders. All the killers can say is "God told me to". The trail leads to a strange character who inspires a cultlike following. Totally unforeseeable ending.

The Haunting - (original version)

Robert Wise adaptation of the Shirley Jackson novel "The Haunting Of Hill House". Very scary haunted house movie that doesn't really show much of anything scary... and that's the point.

The Keep

Based on the F. Paul Wilson novel. Directed by Michael Mann. Really atmospheric film about Nazis finding an ancient structure in a village they invade. It's not meant to keep invaders out - it's meant to keep something IN. Doesn't always make sense, but looks great.

Kwaidan

1960s Japanese anthology of four supernatural folk tales. Amazing and scary. Slow moving for modern American tastes, but stick with it. Really memorable atmosphere and stories.

The Lady In White

Only film directed by Frank LaLoggia. Very creepy film about a boy who witnesses a ghost of a murder victim. The murderer and another ghost begin to stalk him. Beautiful piece of Americana and some great storytelling. And some great scares...

Legend of Boggy Creek

Great docudrama about the Foulke Monster - the beast that stalks the Boggy Creek swamps in Arkansas. Some people think it is dated, but showed this recently to a bunch of young kids who were scared silly by it and loved it.

Les Revenants (They Came Back)

Atmospheric French film about the dead returning to life. Not as zombies, but almost as normal people, but slightly off... Not so much scary as unsettling. What do they want? Where will they live? What will society do with them all?

Let's Scare Jessica To Death

Low budget film about a couple moving into an old home in upstate New York. Of course something else is waiting for them there... Some great atmosphere and some very effective scares...

Monsters

South of the border of the United States, giant alien monsters have invaded and become part of life there. A reporter is sent to retrieve a runaway girl from the "Zone". Part road movie, part romance, part monster movie. Really enjoyable and memorable.

Monster Squad

Group of kids fight the Universal monsters. Not so scary but lots of fun. Great for kids - some great laughs and lines.

Night of the Demon / Curse of the Demon

Directed by Val Guest, based on an M.R. James story, "Casting The Runes". Chilling story about an encounter with a warlock who can summon a demon to curse his victims. Really effective atmosphere. Trivia - line from the movie was sampled for use in Kate Bush's song "The Hounds Of Love".

Night Of The Hunter

Great American movie about a couple of children on the run from their homicidal stepfather. Based on the book by Davis Grubb. Directed by Charles Laughton - criminally it's the only film he ever directed. Beautiful and frightening. Amazing performance by Robert Mitchum as the creepy preacher.

Night Watch

GREAT Russian film about a group of people with supernatural powers. Unbelievable action and special effects. Also its sequel Day Watch.

Pontypool

Thoughtful "zombie" movie that takes place in a radio station. A fascinating premise - there is an outbreak of zombie like violence and social breakdown. But what is causing it?

The Quatermass Experiment (aka The Creeping Unknown)

Three astronauts are sent into space on a pioneering flight. During the flight, two disappear. The third returns...but he is changed. One of the creepiest alien films ever, with a great leading character.

Quatermass 2 - Enemy From Space

Second in the series of Quatermass films. An alien invasion is underway, disguised as big business. Not quite as disturbing as the first film, but still scary and lots of fun.

Quatermass And The Pit - aka Five Million Years To Earth

During construction of a subway in London, an ancient relic is found. Could it be an alien that arrived in Earth's distant past?

Stakeland

Gritty movie about a future where a vampire outbreak has caused societal collapse. Sounds hackneyed but very dark and effective.

The Tenant

Great psychological horror directed by and starring Roman Polanski. A man moves into a dead woman's apartment. He finds that her old acquaintances start to treat him like they treated her. Very creepy, very sinister. Some unforgettable scenes.

Trollhunter

"Found footage" type film about a group of people finding out that there are real trolls in the wilds of Scandinavia. Lots of fun and action!

Ultraviolet

Great UK miniseries about a future where vampires are a part of society, and the secret government organization that is tasked with fighting them. Great characters, interesting treatment. Early Idris Elba, too.

Undead

Wild Australian film about a zombie outbreak. It does go through some familiar territory, but then veers off into new areas. Some incredible imagery.

.... not sure if it's actually horror.... but Eraserhead was kind of disturbing..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

doh!

why did you remind me of that movie.

"man made chickens, damndest things "

.... not sure if it's actually horror.... but Eraserhead was kind of disturbing..... GOD BLESS....

doh!

I mentioned this one earlier,but I imagine you are not looking at my posts due to Miltipas Monster madness...

Has anyone mentioned House? Love that movie! Still not on Blu Ray.

House!!! :headbang: I loved that movie as a kid. Still one of my all time favorites. I even really enjoyed the sequel.

Has The People Under the Stairs been mentioned?

Yes and yes..there was a Comic by Marvel for House.

doh!

..... I must have watched it a half dozen times.... never could figure out what the point was ..... but it was a Late Show double feature fixture around here for a while ..... if you wanted to watch Song Remains the Same..... you had to sit through Eraserhead..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo9a friend of jesus)

mentioned this one earlier,but I imagine you are not looking at my posts due to Miltipas Monster madness...

After my eyes stopped bleeding, I'm giving serious consideration into making a sequel one of these weekends at the Chicago Heights sewage treatment plant. I can even get some young girls from my fitness club to spruce it up a bit for the old Doc.

Total estimated budget. $76.00 and change.

doh!

..... I must have watched it a half dozen times.... never could figure out what the point was ..... but it was a Late Show double feature fixture around here for a while ..... if you wanted to watch Song Remains the Same..... you had to sit through Eraserhead..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo9a friend of jesus)

Many of us watched that film and went on drinking binges, and never could agree what the hell it was about.

On a side note...a friend of the wife and I's is close with the filmaker of August Underground....She had to go testify on his behalf,as he was looking at serious jail time.They thought he actually had killed people.

And I've been saving this one....

Most awesome scifi horror, original movie I've seen in for ever

THE VIOLENT KIND.

And a great Canadian movie..Cadavers.will make you laugh and cry and want to puke.The trick pally does with his boner at the end makes it worth checking out alone.

But...THE VIOLENT KIND Dr X this is cause I owe you....