• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picks for Most Underrated Horror Movies

536 posts in this topic

I haven't read through the entire thread to see whether any of these have been mentioned.

Dark Night of the Scarecrow (made for TV)

Wasn't this the movie that some rednecks killed a mental disabled man who they thought killed a child when he didn't?

The Scarecrow came back and got them all?

That movie scared me to death as a child, but it was great. :eek:

Good one.

I haven't read through the entire thread to see whether any of these have been mentioned.

Dark Night of the Scarecrow (made for TV)

Wasn't this the movie that some rednecks killed a mental disabled man who they thought killed a child when he didn't?

The Scarecrow came back and got them all?

That movie scared me to death as a child, but it was great. :eek:

Good one.

Man did that bring back memories. Still scary. :cloud9:

How about best horror movies with a twist ending.

Psycho

Sleepaway Camp

Cabin in the Woods

Identity

The Others

The Wicker Man

Angel Heart

6th Sense blew everyone away with it's twist at the end.

I thought the Saw movies had pretty decent twists as well.

Btw, I really hated the Wicker Man. I only saw the remake in theaters, and I seriously felt sick to my stomach, and almost walked out of the theater. Not sure why, but for me its one of those movies that just really bothered me.

I thought about sixth sense, but then I don't really think of that as a horror movie. Same with all of M Night Shamalon (or however you spell it).

I can understand that, but I did think the 6th Sense was the most horrific out of all his movies. Talk about a one hit wonder.

Falling behind on this thread but have watched dozens of movies/TV shows brought up here- saw a lot of them previously but had forgotten.

Did anyone bring up Dead and Buried from 1981? That was a very well done horror movie imo.

I remember clips of 2 horror movies circa late 1970s- early 1980s, hopefully they sound familiar to someone and can be identified. These were from when I was real small so are pretty fuzzy memories:

1) First one involves a family that had some sort of horrors in the basement, I remember the mother sends one of her adult kids (and their spouse) sliding down into the basement (in some kind of chute?) as they scream

2) A man and a woman were standing in front of some guy who throws a hook (punch) and knocks the man's head clean off. He stood there still like a dummy after his head came off (maybe he was turned into a life size dummy?). The woman just stood there screaming

Is #1 The People Under The Stairs?

The_People_Under_the_Stairs_Poster.jpg

A Serbian Film should be right up your alley. I still don't have the courage to watch that yet. I don't even like reading the synopsis.

It's rough. After reading the review as one of the most disgusting films ever made, I was curious.

I didn't watch the whole thing, but there are definitely parts in there that are NOT for the squeamish. The better jolts are the things they don't show, but the whole thing is quite disturbing. Some of these things had never entered my mind, ever, before encountering this film (not that we're not all capable of such things, it's simply that it never occurred to me.)

The last scene, however, is so over the top ridiculous, and so clearly fake, it "ruins" the "shock value"...I am amazed at the...depth...that people must go to think these things up (and if someone's thought of it, someone else has already done it), but not amazed at all that they do.

It's fascinating, if only to understand how far people can go in their depravity.

Falling behind on this thread but have watched dozens of movies/TV shows brought up here- saw a lot of them previously but had forgotten.

Did anyone bring up Dead and Buried from 1981? That was a very well done horror movie imo.

I remember clips of 2 horror movies circa late 1970s- early 1980s, hopefully they sound familiar to someone and can be identified. These were from when I was real small so are pretty fuzzy memories:

1) First one involves a family that had some sort of horrors in the basement, I remember the mother sends one of her adult kids (and their spouse) sliding down into the basement (in some kind of chute?) as they scream

2) A man and a woman were standing in front of some guy who throws a hook (punch) and knocks the man's head clean off. He stood there still like a dummy after his head came off (maybe he was turned into a life size dummy?). The woman just stood there screaming

Is #1 The People Under The Stairs?

The_People_Under_the_Stairs_Poster.jpg

That was my first thought too

And the punch sounds like a Friday the Thirteenth, possibly VIII

On a side note...a friend of the wife and I's is close with the filmaker of August Underground....She had to go testify on his behalf,as he was looking at serious jail time.They thought he actually had killed people.

There's a documentary out there about snuff or low budget horror films and Vogel/Toe Tag Productions is a big part of it. That production company he runs is twisted. They make custom films for people based on requests for torture and death scenes.

If August Underground is your thing, then A Serbian Film should be right up your alley. I still don't have the courage to watch that yet. I don't even like reading the synopsis.

Don't watch it if you don't want to be offended greatly.Those three movies

Martyrs

August Underground

Serbia Film

My wife read about them and rented them from this AWESOME place we have in Ottawa,Invisible Cinema...

And I was just like what the HELL is the matter with you.All three,one night.I was in a daze for a long while...

Must mention again.

Rare Exports

Cadavers

And no one brought up the Finland movie Blood Snow

Or Blood Creek for that matter.

Almost forgot Black Devil Doll.

Now that's a winner ;)

That reminds me, Trilogy of Terror. The TV movie, that wasn't bad. Scared me as a kid.

Trilogy of Terror is one of the best. Definitely scared the heck out of me.

What kid didn't get scared after that came out? I put GI Joe action figures under my bed as a kid. I had convinced myself if there were enough of them, they could fight off that voodoo doll.

:eek:

Hilarious! I just missed this post mentioning that movie. I wouldn't turn on lamps in my grandmothers house because I thought that stupid doll was gonna be there.

That TV movie put the 'T' in 'Terror' for sure. My sister would taking a running leap for her bed when she saw this. Unfortunately, I'd laugh when she missed.

You know a movie is awesome, when the Simpsons parodies them. That Krusty Doll piece was one of the shows best.

The Krusty Doll Simpsons Treehouse of Horror was based on Talky Tina. A Twlight Show episode which was really creepy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Doll_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29

Almost forgot Black Devil Doll.

Now that's a winner ;)

That reminds me, Trilogy of Terror. The TV movie, that wasn't bad. Scared me as a kid.

Trilogy of Terror is one of the best. Definitely scared the heck out of me.

What kid didn't get scared after that came out? I put GI Joe action figures under my bed as a kid. I had convinced myself if there were enough of them, they could fight off that voodoo doll.

:eek:

Hilarious! I just missed this post mentioning that movie. I wouldn't turn on lamps in my grandmothers house because I thought that stupid doll was gonna be there.

That TV movie put the 'T' in 'Terror' for sure. My sister would taking a running leap for her bed when she saw this. Unfortunately, I'd laugh when she missed.

You know a movie is awesome, when the Simpsons parodies them. That Krusty Doll piece was one of the shows best.

The Krusty Doll Simpsons Treehouse of Horror was based on Talky Tina. A Twlight Show episode which was really creepy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Doll_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29

Your right, maybe a mix, because Tina didn't chase Kojak with a knife.

Two more of my "old time" favorites:

The Abominable Dr. Phibes

Dr. Phibes Rises again

A Vincent Price tour de force as a disfigured mad genius always one step ahead of the law. The movies both had surprisingly high death counts for back in the 70's.

Watching "House" on NetFlix now. Although the quality isn't as good as it was on Monsters HD. When I had DishTV years ago I had put a lot of the recordings on an external harddrive. One of these days I'm going to figure out how pull them off and put them on a Blu-Ray.